Stimulus

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
ccb_v2
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Stimulus

Post by ccb_v2 »

Hmmm, overheard co-workers discussing that they thought there was to be stimulus checks like the year before, and the other disagreed. Has anyone heard of this? I was under the impression that there was not going to be stimulus checks in 2009 and can find no information on it on the IRS site that applies to this year...

?
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Stimulus

Post by Ex-Cyber »

As far as I've heard, the only stimulus money currently being handed out is funding for state government projects.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

no checks. instead of 1 check obama spread it out over the year. so you'll get a extra $5 a week or something like that.

don't spend it all in 1 place. :roll:
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

pavelbure wrote:no checks. instead of 1 check obama spread it out over the year. so you'll get a extra $5 a week or something like that.

I guess we should just increase taxes and hand it out in one lump sum at the end of the year, then? Since clearly that's better, we should have the government save up our money for us. Some people might want that $5 a week to, you know, eat or something. But no, let's get the money at once so we can have middle-class people being able to afford an extra HDTV for their bathroom maybe.

You partisan hacks never cease to amaze me.
It's thinking...
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

|darc| wrote:
pavelbure wrote:no checks. instead of 1 check obama spread it out over the year. so you'll get a extra $5 a week or something like that.

I guess we should just increase taxes and hand it out in one lump sum at the end of the year, then?
when were taxes last raised ? who said anything about raising taxes ? again, how dare i say something against president dumbass ? now i'll be called a hack. :lol:
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
Liberals click here !!!!
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

pavelbure wrote:
|darc| wrote:

I guess we should just increase taxes and hand it out in one lump sum at the end of the year, then?
when were taxes last raised ? who said anything about raising taxes ? again, how dare i say something against president dumbass ? now i'll be called a hack. :lol:
Instead of retorting with what you assumed was a response, how about you state a solution? If you don't like how things are operating in the U.S., fine. Personally, I can understand why you'd be upset. However, it means nothing more than idiocy to run your mouth off. Frankly, it's easy to be a critic without merit.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

pixel wrote:
pavelbure wrote:
|darc| wrote:

Instead of retorting with what you assumed was a response, how about you state a solution? If you don't like how things are operating in the U.S., fine. Personally, I can understand why you'd be upset. However, it means nothing more than idiocy to run your mouth off. Frankly, it's easy to be a critic without merit.
here's a solution, quit spending money we don't have obama.
Liberals click here !!!!
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

HAS ANYONE NOTICED THAT GUY IS BLACK, SERIOUSLY, ARENT YOU WORRIED?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

pavelbure wrote:here's a solution, quit spending money we don't have obama.
Basic economic theory - in order for an economy to work, there has to be a continuous flow of money around it. It's reliant on continuous expenditure, by people, companies, and governments. It's also reliant on continuous growth (unrealistic as that expectation is).

In a recession, this flow slows down significantly. It's pretty much a chain reaction - if one entity (business, person, whatever) has less income, they can't or won't give as much of it to others. Eventually, this hits everyone. The longer it continues, the more people are affected, and the worse it gets.

The only way to fix this is to inject more money into the system, and to get it all moving again.

Historically, these things don't sort themselves out. Since everybody is affected, nobody is able (or willing) to spend more money.

That's the idea behind the government doing it - they're less affected (for now) since they're able to keep going as long as someone is still doing well. So they invest in something. Anything. Everything.

Once they've put that money into the private sector, it gets spread around - if the government pays a business to do something (building, for example), they need to pay people to do it (potentially keeping them in a job), they need to buy resources and services from other companies, and so on. Even if they just give people money, that helps. They might spend it on something they need (food, clothes, rent). They might save it, putting it into the banking system, and giving the banks more money to lend or invest. They might invest it in something. They might not really need it, but since it's money they wouldn't otherwise have, they might as well spend it on something they want.

At least, that's the theory. It has to be big enough to give the economy a big enough kick, and get the money flowing around again. It doesn't particularly matter if the government has access to all that money right now anyway, as long as it works. They can siphon it off from everyone else when the economy picks up again.

Of course, if it doesn't, we're all screwed anyway.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

What I don't seem to understand however, is how the US (or the Reserve...) prints all this money they don't have.... and you're inflation and dollar value have yet to change.

I'm sure it will happen eventually though. Considering the vast investments China and Saudi Arabia have (easily in the trillions), I'd be hoarding my money in a mattress in Euros.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

pavelbure wrote:
|darc| wrote:

Because clearly you would be in support of a 100% tax rate and then a huge 'stimulus' check at the end of the year for your payment.

If you get an extra $5 a week, how is that any different than lowering taxes?
Wouldn't you, as a so-called 'conservative,' want lower taxes?

I'm going to be honest: I have no idea what's been going on with the stimulus stuff.... but the shit you're writing on here is idiotic.
It's thinking...
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

YEAH SRSLY YOU GUYS NOTICED HE IS FUCKING BLACK?
I UNNO BOUT YOU BUT LAST BLACK GUY I LOANED A 5 TO I NEVER SAW AGAIN.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God