Coders cable

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
N64VSNES
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Coders cable

Post by N64VSNES »

So I've gotten a coders cable at last (thanks to Ex-Cyber for donating me one!)

So my question is, I guess the way it would work is I run program on my DC and PC which will allow them to connect with the cable?

So what software would I need? I've seen talk about dcload but that seems to be for BBA's.

Thanks.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Coders cable

Post by Ex-Cyber »

There are two versions of dcload: dcload-ip (for BBA/LAN Adapter) and dcload-serial (for coder's cable). It comes in two parts: dcload (the Dreamcast-side program) and dc-tool (the PC-side program). The code is in the cadcdev SVN tree if you can build from source; I'm not sure where to find a precompiled version.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Captain Dreamcast
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Captain Dreamcast »

N64VSNES wrote:So I've gotten a coders cable at last (thanks to Ex-Cyber for donating me one!)

So my question is, I guess the way it would work is I run program on my DC and PC which will allow them to connect with the cable?

So what software would I need? I've seen talk about dcload but that seems to be for BBA's.

Thanks.
Cool to see you've gotten one of these nifty cables. It's also one of my favorites. And that's toooootally not because I can't afford a BBA! :lol:

Heh, back on topic, for an extensive guide on developing with the Coder's Cable, you might want to check here. The place is kinda abandoned nowadays, but there are still a lot of helpful tools, even a precompiled dc-load. :wink:

In case you're working on Windows, I highly recommend Sizious' DC-Tool GUI. From my personal experience, it is easier to use and is also a lot more stable than the original AndrewK/Napalm tool. Well, just my two cents.

Good luck with using the Cable, it's very slow, but also very... uhhhh... developerish. :mrgreen:
For Great Justice!
N64VSNES
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by N64VSNES »

Thanks for the help peoples :grin:

I've gotten the dreamcast dc-load running it's currently at a screen saying
"dc-load 1.03
idle...."

It looks good there then, however with the DC-TOOL-GUI I can click "File->Upload->whatever file" and it says it uploads but nothing happens/outputs on my PC or DC. (DC is still at idle)

Suggestions? :(
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Can you paste what shows up in the transcript window when you try to upload something?
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
N64VSNES
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by N64VSNES »

Sorry for the late reply today has been....a interesting day :lol:

I managed to get it working, the cable doesn't push in to easily lol.

Thanks for all your help though, it really did help. :wink: