IBM Model F: Fiddler's latest project

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

IBM Model F: Fiddler's latest project

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Should this be in Hardware Modifications? It's not Dreamcast related.

I am a writer and a copy editor by trade; I spend a lot of time typing. Also, I recently went back to the computer for gaming. As a result, I've been spending a lot of time thinking about my ideal keyboard: something robust, tactile, and just a little bit flashy, with extra keys for custom macros and n-key rollover.

I grew up with an IBM Model M, but ever since college, I've been using a laptop with the typical rubber-dome laptop keys. I recently got fed up with the mushy Dell computer at my office and replaced it with another Model M, which I love... but which is lacking the fourth modifier key that is oh-so-important for Macs, and which has a game-killing 2-key rollover.

After trying out a number of different types of keyboards, I decided that I definitely like the feel of buckling springs better than any of the variants of Cherry MX or ALPS switches I could find. I like the higher actuation force, as I can actually rest my hands on the keyboard without accidentally mistyping. And I like the strong tactile feedback, as well as the fact that the actuation point and the reset point are exactly the same. Buckling spring keyboards also tend to last several times longer than their Cherry or ALPS counterparts.

Kentucky-based Unicomp continues to make the Model M under a different name, their keyboards are both unsightly and are useless for gaming due to the limited rollover.

To get what I wanted, I had to go older.

The Model F, made before the Model M, employs buckling springs but uses individually traced capacitive switches for each key, rather than a cheap membrane. As a result, it has n-key rollover. It's also built like a damn tank, and while most versions of the Model M cannot talk to modern computers, hobbyists have built a drop-in replacement for the controller board that both makes it USB capable and allows for firmware remapping.

The latter is important, because what we think of as the "standard" keyboard layout was invented for the Model M. As a result, no variant of the Model F follows the ANSI standard, since it didn't exist yet.

The most common variants are the 83-key XT keyboard and the 84-key AT keyboard. Somewhat less common are the 107-key and 122-key terminal models, and a handful of other business and industrial variants.

I opted for the 107-key model, as it most closely resembles a standard ANSI layout, and thus would be the easiest to adapt. It also has a solid steel case; most Model Fs have a steel bottom plate but a brittle plastic face.

So, I bought an IBM Model F-107 and an xwhatsit controller, and set to work.

For reference, this is what the keyboard would have looked like originally. Clearly an industrial model, not marketed to consumers. The two banks of keys that correlate to what we think of as the number pad and the navigation keys, as well as the lefthand F-keys, were actually blanks with paper-insert labels, which could be assigned to whatever function was needed for the specific system to which it was connected.

It begins! Here is the Model F, disassembled, as I received it. Note the chipped paint on the case and the heavy oxidation on the switchboard.

The xwhatsit USB controller takes the place of the stock controller.

Here is the top panel, stripped all the way down to the base metal with sandpaper, a scraper, and some Citristrip. This got about 95% of the paint off; I sanded the rest off by hand after this picture was taken.

And yes, that is solid steel. Just this panel weighs about as much as an entire Model M. The entire assembled keyboard is between 11 and 12 lbs.

The case: cleaned, stripped, primed, and painted with a satin black.

Next, I masked the top shell and applied a metallic paint to the accent ridge. You can see all three painted pieces together in the second shot.

Then I applied a glossy enamel finish. I did this to protect the paint, but I kind of regret it... I think I preferred the matte look. If it still bugs me after a few weeks, I can always strip it down and repaint it again >_<

Painstakingly tracing and removing the cutouts for each of the key wells. The foam goes between the switchplate and the switch assemblies, and serves both to dampen the noise and to protect the circuit board from shorting out on the steel switchplate.

The 30-year-old original had crumbled to dust, so I had to craft a new one. It doesn't have to look pretty; it just has to let the key wells through.

After the foam is fitted to the back of the switch plate, the switches are assembled. Each key well is fed through the back of the switchplate, and the foam helps hold it in place. Then, a spring-mounted keyswitch is dropped into each well.

After the keyswitches are assembled, the capacitive sensor board and its steel backing are mounted to the back of the switchplate and the keycaps are added. Note that one spring (the one for the PD 1 key on the righthand side) is missing; I'll have to order a replacement for that key to work.

All of the keys except for the ones in the main bank are just blank stems; IBM used a two-piece assembly, where all the stems were the same and the key caps snapped on over top. Also note that since it was made for a business terminal, the layout isn't exactly standard. I'll be changing that later.

Here it is, fully assembled! I'm leaving the stock keycaps in place for the moment while I explore other options.

One option is to get a set of Datamancer (or fabricate similar) typewriter-style keys; the downsides to that are that I'd have to make stem adapters for each key myself, and that the round typewriter keys tend to leave a lot of unsightly gaps between the keys.

A second option is metal keys. Aluminum or steel might look nice; unfortunately, the only metal key caps I can find online are zinc, which tends to tarnish and look gross with regular handling.

A third option is to order some custom IBM-style key caps. They'd retain the same shape, but I could specify the font, symbols, and colors used. Or I could just "borrow" the black key caps off my M13 to keep it black on black.

The final option is to leave it as-is. That's not going to happen. If I were being purist about this project, I wouldn't have repainted it in the first place. At the very minimum, I want to adjust it to something more closely resembling ANSI standard layout. It's got 107 keys, so even though the layout won't let me EXACTLY mimic a normal keyboard, I should still be able to cover everything and still have a few keys left over for custom macros. The internal controller lets me change the layout internally (once I figure out how), so I've got a lot of flexibility in this regard--just need to get the appropriate key caps.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Fiddler rebuilds and mods a 30-year-old IBM Model F

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Draft layout. Open to ideas/suggestions/criticism.

I should note that this keyboard will primarly be used on a Mac running OSX.

I spent a lot of time thinking about what keys/key combinations I actually use. Came to the realization that I hardly ever use the F-keys as themselves in OSX, but that there are several common tasks (e.g., cut/copy/paste, CMD-TAB, CMD-`) that would be nice to have on dedicated keys. I also tweaked the number pad and the navigation keys to take full advantage of the extra buttons and to remove things that OSX doesn't need.

I'll be giving up two keys by adding back in full-sized Return and Left Shift keys, because I tend to strike those keys in the part that has been broken off into something else in this layout. However, there is an extra contact on the circuit board that would allow me to split the Right Shift (which I never use) to add in a "Function" key. (I could also split the Backspace key, but I don't think I need any more keys and I kind of like a large Backspace.) That can be used to add F1-F12 as alt-functions of the number keys (and - and = ), for times when I actually need them.

One thing I liked about the F-107 is that despite its age, it's actually ahead of its time by having three keys on each side of the space bar. As a result, I don't have to jump through any hoops to get all the function keys in down there--a particular problem with using pre-Win95 keyboards on Macs. I've currently elected to keep them in the Windows orientation (Ctrl, Cmd, Alt) rather than the Mac layout (Ctrl, Alt, Cmd), but that decision isn't final.

The left bank is all Mac-specific functions and unique macro keys... as well as the ESC key, since this keyboard doesn't have one in its native layout. Similarly, I've subbed some macro keys in for some of the higher keys in the navigation cluster, since things like Scroll Lock and Pause aren't really used in OSX.
If you were designing your own layout, what would you change?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: IBM Model F: Fiddler's latest project

Post by |darc| »

Very interesting project. I had a Model M as a teenager that I loved until I broke it. :lol: One thing I would want to do is swap around the cmd and opt keys, though it looks like you'll need new keycaps made to do that.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I'm making new keycaps anyway, so that's not a problem.

I actually just found out that the new controller supports three switchable "layers," which means I can assign a key (Num Lock, perhaps?) as a layer toggle and have multiple layouts. I'm thinking of setting up one layer as illustrated above, one layer with something more closely resembling an ANSI standard layout (in case I ever want to use the board on a Windows machine), and leaving the third layer for possible future needs.

I had a Model M as a teenager as well; it was a SpaceSaver, which is apparently worth a fair amount of money now. Still kicking myself for getting rid of it. It came with a '286 I bought in middle school, and while the computer itself went through many permutations over the years, I used that keyboard up until I got a new computer for college and decided I wanted something with a number pad. (Also, I was concerned about the noise disturbing my roommate.)

I bought another Model M last year--an M13 (the black one with the TrackPoint mouse)--which I use at work. I love the feel and the build quality of the Model M, but the 2-key rollover kind of kills it for gaming. And I don't care what other people say; Cherry MX switches--even blues and greens--do NOT feel the same as buckling springs. They also don't last as long.

Hence the Model F.

How did you manage to break yours, anyway?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

I spilled a bottle of water on it.

I have had a Cherry MX Green keyboard for a while now and I prefer it to the Model M personally.
It's thinking...
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I brought my Model M keyboard to work a while back. I think everyone dreads when I use my desktop PC there instead of using my laptop. :lol:

On the bright side, when I do use the PC, at least I know it'll be quiet in the room (since everyone has headphones on).
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Same here. I was a little worried about the noise factor at first, but everyone tends to work with headphones on, so it's a non-issue.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

A few updates.

1. I'm stripping the case back down tonight, and reapplying the matte paint over the course of this week. And this time I'm not putting that horrid clear coat on it.

2. Just confirmed that Unicomp can do a custom keycap set for me. Ordering those tonight, so they should be here in a week or two. I am sticking with the layout as shown above, with white character keys and gray action/modifier keys. (I would have done black keys, but Unicomp's process can't put text on black key caps.)

3. I also received the black and white cloth-bound USB cable that I ordered for the keyboard. I'll replace the normal plastic-coated one with that when I repaint and reassemble the case.

While the keyboard is apart, I will fix the stuck flipper and replace the missing spring. I'll also move the switches around to accommodate the changes in layout (take the one off the key next to Z and move it to the right side of Right Shift), and finish programming the firmware with the new layout. I'll keep the original key caps in case I (or a future owner) ever decides to restore it to original condition. The original layout of this board is slightly non-standard, and people who buy these old keyboards tend to ANSI mod them anyway, so I can't see there being much other use for them.

At some point in the future, I may decide to switch to typewriter-style keys. However, that is considerably more expensive (and more labor-intensive, since I'd have to fabricate my own stems) than custom-printed stock keys, plus the round nature of typewriter keys leaves unsightly gaps between the keys. It's a shame nobody has made a square version of the nickel-and-glass key caps.

A few other ideas I had that are impractical and/or unnecessary:
- backlighting the keys (requires adding a circuit for LEDs, mounting LEDs in a way that doesn't interfere with the key switches, and fabricating appropriate key caps)
- adding a USB hub to the top (requires cutting holes in the chassis to mount and access the ports)
- adding SD and audio ports to the top (same issues as USB hub, but damn are all the ports inconveniently located on the iMac)
- adding my WH emblem to the large empty area at the top (requires ordering a custom stencil and spray painting it on; I may still do this at some point)
- adding legs to tilt the keyboard forward (requires fabricating and mounting legs; would be difficult to make them adjustable; early attempt to fabricate with carved cork proved fragile and clashed with the rest of the case
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The end product... for now.

Since the goal is to build the "perfect" keyboard (at least for me), I'll probably keep tweaking it for a long while yet.

Once I decide exactly what I want all of the function keys to do, I may get a few different key caps. I may also change the color of the WASD keys. I had to keep the original Space bar for now because new ones don't fit quite right, and there was a slight miscommunication with my order, so the right Shift and Right Command aren't quite big enough.

I am still thinking about fabricating typewriter-style keys for it; Datamancer now sells new-manufacture ring and lens assemblies, and I can either model IBM stems and order them through a 3D printing service or buy a bunch of blanks and cut them by hand to fit the rings. I'm thinking a white art deco font with a black background might be nice... particularly printed on glow-in-the-dark paper, so the letters glow faintly in low light.

But functionally, it's all done and ready to use. I'm done for the time being, and this update was written with it.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Workin' on another Model F for a coworker:

Not being as aggressive with this one for now. Cleaning it up, sticking on a USB adapter (which contains a microcontroller that can handle remapping), and tweaking the layout just a hair to more closely resemble the ANSI standard. Key caps should be arriving this week.

At some point in the future, I may reclaim this keyboard and be a bit more aggressive about modifying it--get a bit more creative with the layout, replace the controller & cord internally, and perhaps replace the (cracked but serviceable) top shell with something a bit more aesthetically pleasing. I'd originally considered one of these behemoths instead of the 107-key model I ended up using for my primary keyboard, but (A) the 107-key has a solid steel case whereas this one has a steel back bot a plastic top, and (B) there is not actually enough room on my desk at home for this one :lol:.

For now, though, I'm not doing anything irreversible to it.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Quality read from start to end.

Just tossing out an idea: If you do opt out of doing a full replacement with typewriter keys, would you consider dying the keys you already have black & dark grey, stenciling the letters back in, then color-coding the hotkeys (possibly with black-light dye for a glow-in-the-dark effect)?

Makes me wonder... A transparent backlit skeleton keyboard, with solar-receptive OLED stickers for characters, and a blend of UV dyes would make way for a pretty wild-looking typing apparatus.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I hadn't thought about using a phosphorescent paint on the IBM keys.

I rather like the contrast between the black case and the white keys, but if I decided I wanted black, I could either order blank black key caps from Unicomp or swipe the printed white-on-black key caps from the IBM M13 I use at work.

The way these are constructed doesn't lend itself well to "normal" backlighting approaches, which would be way too much work anyway. If I do the typewriter keys, I'm thinking about printing on either phosphorescent paper or printable foil, so that the letters either glow or shine in the light of the monitor, respectively. The main stumbling block is figuring out how to fabricate the key stems; I have a bag of ring-and-lens assemblies, and creating the key labels is trivial, but I'd have to manually cut every single key stem so that it has enough top both to work and for the ring assembly to latch onto, but is still small enough to fit into the assembly. I've experimented with a Dremel, and it is doable, but I'd probably lose a lot to errors, making it even slower and more expensive.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Thats pretty damn boss, fiddler. nice work.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Working on a couple different sets of alternate key caps.

Set 1: I bought a set of used black blanks, which I'm going to cut up for their stems and use as the base for the typewriter-style keys. I've got both a package of printable foil and a couple sheets of phosphorescent paper that I can use for printed key labels to put under the lenses.

Set 2: I'm also going to replace a few of the problematic caps from this set (off-color space bar, too-short Shift, and any incorrectly colored/labeled keys), and add IBM stems to a set of metal arrow keys so that there's a tactile difference between the arrow keys and the surrounding cluster. I was going to do a metal space bar as well, but they're only available in 6.25-unit widths and this keyboard needs a 7-unit space bar.

Once everything is complete, I'll try out both sets to see which one looks and feels better. One set will end up here, and the other set will end up on the 122-key model.

Incidentally: if anyone else wants a custom keyboard, I'd be happy to take on commissions. They won't be cheap, but I can still get you a better keyboard at a lower price than Datamancer :P Just PM me for details and we can go over options and pricing.