Dear "Great" Britain:

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dear "Great" Britain:

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Seriously, WTF just happened?

Did you just look around and decide the Americans had been hogging the "stupid, self-destructive political decisions" news coverage too much lately?

Are you okay? Do we need to call somebody?

Sincerely,

~A Concerned Neighbor
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Re: Dear "Great" Britain:

Post by Eviltaco64X »

Come on, man. Where's your American spirit? Britain declared independence from a large power-hungry expansionist (in their case, a 'soft' colonizer) to jump out into the fringe on it's own and better determine it's fate.

I didn't think they would do it. Most didn't, so it seems.

Even if it has (rightfully) upset the economy and caused for a lot of panic, it's a pretty admirable risk they've undertaken - one that leaves them with a lot of potential for "being at the right place at the right time" as numerous other countries within the EU flirt with the idea of leaving too.

One major impact appears to rest on what might come first - a 2nd Scottish independence referendum, or a domino effect of other countries leaving the EU. If the EU is in a critical state by the time the referendum comes around, would it be wise for Scotland to still consider leaving the UK? For that matter, if the Scots push for an early referendum, leave the UK, and find a way to remain in the EU only to have the EU collapse on them.. What then? etc etc only time will tell
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Image
Agreed! Reminds me of the U.S. Civil War, when African Americans turned their backs on all the jobs, housing, food, clothing, etc. that white people gave them, just so they could make their own decisions and be free! What fools!

See, you can play the spin game on even the most absurd of topics. :roll:
It's thinking...
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Image
Nice meme
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Jesus, where to begin explaining the context to this one...
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

not just souLLy now wrote:Jesus, where to begin explaining the context to this one...

The context of the GIF or the context of Brexit/EU?

If you meant the GIF, I'm quite familiar with both Monty Python's Life of Brian as well as the history of Rome and its conquests (I majored in Classical Studies and Latin in uni).

The difference is that the UK is one of the most developed/advanced countries in the world, and if it chooses to pursue the objectives in the GIF by itself, outside of the EU, it can attain them. Saying things like "the UK needs the EU for cleaner beaches" is asinine. If the UK wants cleaner beaches, they can just enact their own version of the Bathing Water Directive. They don't need the faux-technocrats in the EU to do it for them.

Meanwhile, in Judea, the Roman Empire brought brutal oppression to the people, but they also brought technological advancement with them as well. That's what makes the conflict in the Monty Python skit funny.

Both the Leave and Remain campaigns used nasty fear tactics to garner votes. Strip away the fear from both sides, and use logic, and Brexit makes complete sense.
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

The fact that you're talking about cleaner beaches as part of the rationale for people voting shows that nobody outside the UK has a clue what's going on. You really have to understand the context of what's happened in the UK over the last 5-6 years to get your head around why the UK would do something so obviously against its own interests.

I can't be bothered to explain it, it's too fucking depressing.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I don't know why this thread got dragged out of Null, but I'd honestly love to hear an insider's perspective if you feel up to it.
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

No clue about the intricacies of day-to-day life in the UK outside of a few odds-and-ends, but we Americans are very familiar with intense polarization. Look at the past... ? Hell, it's been in high-gear for the vast majority of my life. 3 US posters in this one lone thread of 8 posts and you can already see the sharp disagreements in everything.

This is definitely the most polarizing thing I've ever seen from across the pond. Lots of online Brits that are otherwise indifferent, at each other's throats.

The fight for majority rule drives many to rage - it sucks.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

not just souLLy now wrote:The fact that you're talking about cleaner beaches as part of the rationale for people voting shows that nobody outside the UK has a clue what's going on. You really have to understand the context of what's happened in the UK over the last 5-6 years to get your head around why the UK would do something so obviously against its own interests.

I can't be bothered to explain it, it's too fucking depressing.
I'm only replying to the (ridiculous) meme that was put before me. I certainly understand that the situation is much more complex than clean beaches...

If you don't have time to explain it, I understand, but it seems a bit silly to pop in here and basically say "you're wrong but I won't be arsed to tell you why," doesn't it?

Not to put words in your mouth, but it just seems like you're rolling with the fear that the remain camp put out there. The sky won't just fall because of Brexit...
DaMadFiddler wrote:I don't know why this thread got dragged out of Null, but I'd honestly love to hear an insider's perspective if you feel up to it.
Because it was a perfectly legitimate thread for discussion. Despite a near-complete lack of new threads and posts over the last few months, plenty of people still visit this site on a consistent basis, and it seems like no one posts because no one else is posting. If we want to keep going as a community, which I dearly would like as I consider many of you personal friends, someone's going to have to make some topics, eh? ;)
It's thinking...
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Half the problem is that nobody can explain it properly.

Trying to frame the economy in a context that the average voter can understand is near impossible so both sides danced around the real issues and went with things people can relate to, like immigrants stealing jobs vs. freedom of movement being nice.

It wouldn't be a big deal if this was a typical 5 year government term we're voting for, but this decision we've made is as good as forever.