Game System Awards

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by perry »

dress-up dan wrote:
Kenichi wrote: Worst controller: JAGUAR! Can't believe nobody has mentioned this yet!
I breifly owned a jaguar and the controllers do indeed suck, but I didn't feel it necessary to call it the worst.
perry2175 wrote: Best Looking : Im gonna go wit the '64 too, it just looks cool, and curvy :lol:
The N64 is a very sexy machine, innit?...[/quote

Hell Mutha phukkin ye...I mean, Yes Sir, Dean Cain Sir.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Best Built system: Game Boy by far. But since portables usually don't count as true consoles.. After that, probably SNES and Megadrive - they're both very very tough. If you replace the pin connector in the original NES, it is up there with the SNES/Genesis (though still not QUITE as good). BTW, I think disc based systems should be excluded as they are INHERENTLY more prone to breakage - the motors wear out, since it's a constantly moving part. Of the disc based systems, GCN is probably the most reliable though. Definetly more reliable then xbox and PS2.

Worst built system: PS2, bar none. No other system has had even remotely as many problems, not even the PS1 - the early PSOnes had ventilation problems and FMV skipping problems, but nothing that killed the machine on a regular basis.
:roll:

Best looking system: Atari 2600 or NES. Woodgrain VS classic 80s charm, with a computer like load system... A tie.

Worst looking system: Tough one. Probably the redesigned SNES2.

Best controller: SNES

Worst controller: This is a hard one for me. I can get used to most of them. Probably the Intellivision - that disc thing sucks.

Special extra catagory: Worst d-pad ever - the X-box.

Jaguar's controller isn't THAT bad, considering virtually noting used the keys for important tasks, other then stuff like switching weapons. A bit too bulky though. Under rated system IMO - it had 6 or 7 games worth owning, 3 or 4 of which were great or close to it.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Well I've never played one, but any controller with 20 buttons is enough.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Best Built: Gameboy
Sure it was bulky, ugly, and had a green monochrome picture, but those things were built like a tank. I have a Gameboy that has suffered more abuse in one year than any of my console I own will ever endure, plus it's missing huge chunks of plastic, and doesn't even have a battery cover anymore. Yet, it still plays as if it was brand new.

Worst Built: Playstation 2
The version 1's have a life expectancy of about 1-2 years before it can no longer read DVD's. And most of them are so weak that a slight impact could have catastropic results. Plus they promote putting the system vertically, yet it's vertical postition is what causes 90% of the system's problems. Add to that the fact that if the CD is slightly off balance, it could destroy the laser, and you have a product that is a $200 time bomb.

Best Looking: Gamecube
Finally, a system that is an actual color, not a shade! This is the kind of system that you wish your girlfriend could look like; Small, compact, lightweight, sits quietly, easy to travel with, likes having up to 4 of your buddies around to play games, and best of all, everything about it looks good. Even the little disks are cute!

Worst Looking: 32X
In Sega's defense, they tried to make it look like it was part of the Genesis. But when you slap that big bulky thing on top of your cool-looking Genesis, your Genesis can never look cool again. It just sticks out too much and make it look like the Genesis is going to collapse under it's weight. Plus, if you own a Sega CD, you have a wiring nightmare that's a fire hazard waiting to happen. The Genesis just needs to be free, instead of having another system rape it right up it's cartridge-hole.

Best Controller: Nintendo 64
Alright, so it's certainly not most people's choice for best controller, but I haven't found a game that didn't work perfectly with this thing. That Z button was a great idea, the D-Pad wasn't in the way, and the analog set on it's own handle made every game a snap to play. Plus the invention of the C buttons made a great way to play every game. Need something to control a camera? Use the C buttons! Don't have a camera? Use them as normal play buttons. There was a configuration for every type of game on that controller.

Worst Controller: Nintendo Power Glove
Cool idea? Yes. Cool looking? Sorta. Cool controller? No. It wasn't exactly the most user-friendly controller, requiring you to set up a sensor around your TV that would only fit certain sized TV's. Plus you had to stand in the exact right spot. And when you tried to move your hand to make it do stuff, you had a 50/50 chance of the character actually moving. And seriously, besides Punch Out, what other game would that thing actually be good for?
Mask of Destiny
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mask of Destiny »

Best Built System: Genesis. I've abused mine (disassembled/reassembled, stepped on, used a 12V supply instead of 9) and it still works just like new.
Worst Built System: PSX, heard lots of weird problems with the earlier ones. NES would have gotten my vote, but it's usually not that hard to coax one into operation.

Best Looking System: Dreamcast
Worst Looking System: 32X, looks like some weird mushroom tumor growing out of the Genesis

Best Controller: Dreamcast. It fits my hands really well and seems to have a good sense of symmetry. (could use a few more buttons though)

Worst Controller: Atari Jaguar. I've never used one, but it looks rather uncomfortable to hold and the number pad must be a pain to use.

Okay so I look like a Sega fanboy. So shoot me!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

[QUOTE]Worst Controller: Nintendo Power Glove [/QUOTE]

I don't really think this is fair.. I think the "worst" should be limited to the official controllers, not peripheral - e.g., the packin controller.

However, you're probably right - that is most definetly one of the worst controllers ever.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Best Built: N64
No moving parts at all, bombproof plastic :lol: incredibly solid

Worst Built: Playstation 2
You just know its going to break, Disc read errors ahoy.

Best Looking: Gamecube
Simple effective and compact.

Worst Looking: Xbox
No real design there and the lime green bezel just cheapens it.

Best Controller: Japanese Saturn
Great layout + Perfect Dpad

Worst Controller: Xbox (first "design")
Dpad made from randomly melted plastic, Awfull button layout with spongey feel, loose analogue sticks, Depth of controller is just totally wrong.
kingdragon213
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by kingdragon213 »

i only saw an atari jag once, it was when final fantasy VII came out, the atari was only 30 $ and came with doom and 2 other games, but im still glad i got FF VII cuz its one of the best Storys for a rpg ever... and when i got my 1st PSX it lasted just fine, i still have it, i got a PS one for portabilty tho.

and how can u say a PS2 controller is bulky, look at DC , Xbox , N64, the game cube had to resize, at least they did that.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

The only way you can consider the dual shock bulky is compared to controllers with fewer buttons.. Even the GCN is very comparable in size.
Sure it was bulky, ugly, and had a green monochrome picture, but those things were built like a tank.
I'm gonna have to dig out my Nintendo Power and find the image of the Game Boy that survived *NAPALM* (!) during the Gulf War. Well, sort of, it DID still work, half the screen was gone and some of the buttons were fused. Sound also still worked.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Best built ZX80/81 (the ram expansions kept falling off!), C64GS, N64, Amiga 500 (UK version)

Worst built Game Gear (well mines playin up), PSX (lost count of how many times I had to turn it upside down to get it to boot stuff)

Best looking N64, C64GS (simple slim elongated design, very nice), SNES (UK version)

Worst looking SNES (US version, too boxy & those colours were awfull), Mega CD 2 (the first one looked quite nice, the top loading second version didn't)

Best controller N64 (everything is perfectly placed), SNES, Gameboy (all versions), & an honory mention to the Amiga, C64, Spectrum 48 etc.. for use of Kempston joysticks, they may have broke through overuse a lot but they worked well & were cheap to replace

Worst controller Gamecube (why isnt the Z trigger in a sensible place? & the official one is so small it hurts my hands after a while), Kempston joysticks (for the breaking problem), PSX (the d-pad hurts when playing a fighter for a length of time), Jag (like playin a game using a phone)
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mmboy »

Do you smell it? Yes the fan boyz, sum1 open a window lol. I really have nothing to say that wasn't already said, except for this:

Best looking system: The Dreamcast w/ a built in TV that look like a Chao's head, Te CX-1 it was called, here's a pic

THis one definately wins hands down...
sig down :( gehy boomspeed... any1 wanna host it? where could i host it?
mmboy
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by mmboy »

BTW, I beleive it is fox that is actually coming out w/ a video games awards to be aired on TV this summer!!!
sig down :( gehy boomspeed... any1 wanna host it? where could i host it?
Safety in Nimbus
Revenge Therapist
Revenge Therapist

Post by Safety in Nimbus »

Best Built: PSOne - Very small and portable

Worst Built: Sega CD Model 2. Think the Xbox is big? Add the SCD model 2 to it... PS2 also gets my vote...mine broke |=

Best Looking: Dreamcast & Gamecube. Offsets all my black consoles.

Worst Looking: Xbox...I understand why its so big (that doesn't bother me) but eh...i cant place anything on top of it |= damn ugly green jewel and giant X.

Best Controller: Xbox S-Type. I only have a few gripes about it but it's pretty much perfect. Not to mention w/ a little work you can use it in your pc d= Neo Geo...it came w/ Joysticks (|=

Worst Controller: ...Dreamcast *lowers head in shame* The thumbstick is horrible |= when your thumb gets sweaty it starts to slide off. The D-pad is...eh...stiff. The two slots in the back cause it to bulge out...I can't even hold it comfortably because of that bulge...some of us have long fingers |= The triggers are nice but horrible for fighting games.. Grah...cord should stick out from the not as to not interfere with you. I know you can put it in the little groove but a lot of times it won't stay...plus eh...thats 2 seconds of my time that could be spent playing KoF d=
Tank-X
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Tank-X »

AmadeusZull wrote:no no the 4 directionsal owned with fighters. psx controller owened. dual shock just doubled owned.
Best Built: SNES for already said reasons
Worst Built: NES for already said reasons, though the Saturn does feel pretty fragile

Best Looking: Dreamcast, than PS2
Worst Looking: XBox - Too bulky/heavy/dull

Best Controller: N64 - Probably the most comfortable controller I've ever used. Followed by the PS Dual Shock.
Worst Controller: Sega Master System - The thing is way too small. I almost said the Gamecube controller because the D-Pad is in the most horrid location ever.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

|darc| wrote:Best Built System: Gamecube
Worst Built System: Atari 2600... half the damn thing don't work

Best looking system: Gamecube
Worst looking system: Playstation

Best Controller: Gamecube.
Worst Controller: Playstation
The NES looks better than a PSX? O_o

The NES controller was better than the PSX's? O_O

Somebody hates Sony... :P
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
karter74
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by karter74 »

C'mon guys, we all know the NES is KING!!! Yes, it does have that inherent blinking, but once you change the connectors, it plays like it is brand new and works great. I'm a die-hard NES fan, SNES was pretty good and in my opinion it's only gone downhill from there, 64 was a joke, GC isn't bad, they just need more of a game library.
HOLY CRAP!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

The NES looks better than a PSX? O_o

The NES controller was better than the PSX's? O_O
Huh? He said GameCube. Me personally though, I DO like the NES controller better then PSX, but it's a very tough comparison considering the enourmous number of buttons difference. Ya know, 4 VS 12 on a dualshock, plus two extra joysticks. I also think the NES does indeed look better then the PSX. The PSX is generic looking, not cool and not bad. The PS2 is pretty slick looking, too bad it's all shoddy inside.

karter - for what it's worth, NES is my fav system. I play it on my DC and game boy advance most often, though I do have two front loaders and a top loader.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Lartrak wrote:
Worst Controller: Nintendo Power Glove
I don't really think this is fair.. I think the "worst" should be limited to the official controllers, not peripheral - e.g., the packin controller.

However, you're probably right - that is most definetly one of the worst controllers ever.
Well, it was a licenced controller. Still, your right, I just added that for fun. I really wanted to say 96% of all PC gamepads, but since they weren't officially licenced, I decided to try to stay in the rules.

If I had to pick an official controller, though, I would have to go with the square NES controller. Too small, the sharp corners tore up your palms, and the buttons and D-pad wore out too quick. However, it did have one good point. Unlike controllers today, when you would chuck a NES controller across the room, that sucker would fly. It's aerodynamic design would cause it to float on an airstream on a crash corse to the nearest wall, and would give a thud that satisfy even the most pissed gamer. Yes, it was a great tension breaker.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I really wanted to say 96% of all PC gamepads, but since they weren't officially licenced, I decided to try to stay in the rules.
I agree.. WTF do NO PC GAMEPADS WHATSOEVER have good d-pads? I have yet to see a single exception.
If I had to pick an official controller, though, I would have to go with the square NES controller. Too small, the sharp corners tore up your palms, and the buttons and D-pad wore out too quick.
I can understand people disliking the square nature, but FRAGILE? I don't know anyone who's broken a NES controller in real life. They do eventually lose tactile feedback (the "clicky" feel) after heavy use but they still function flawlessly.
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

The Genius Maxfire Gamepad is damn good, as far as PC controllers go. It almost feels like a console controller. Notice the emphasis on ALMOST. ZSNES works like a charm with it. I can play F-Zero and not miss the SNES pad!And it's dirt cheap, way better than costlier components.

The NES controller contacts were high-quality, but Super Mario Bros. 3 and Track and Field were likely to ruin them. (Too much pressure)
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth