About Upcoming DreamSNES versions...

Anything DreamSNES-related can be asked in this forum, such as general questions about the emulator, how to burn it, etc.
Psychlonic
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

About Upcoming DreamSNES versions...

Post by Psychlonic »

What all were the new updates to SNES9X? I took a quick look on the site but didn't find anything useful. So I have a couple questions, please don't answer with opinions until the facts are laid straight - thanks.

1. I believe nakamichi said that SNES9X was finally able to decode custom graphics packs (meaning - no need for the patch). Is this going to be added to DreamSNES? If so, then Star Ocean could be played on DreamSNES as well right?

2. To what extent did the SNES9X improve upon as far as sound goes? Will it be enough to fix most of DreamSNES sound problems and more importantly; will it lead to more speed?

3. Were there any other significant improvements in SNES9X that could be transferred to DSNES? Significant would relate to code optimizations, major bug fixes, etc.

And last,

4. I also had seen many people post about the latest version of SNES9X being full of bugs. Is this true, and if so, how bad are they? The reason for wanting to know this is because I'm pretty sure the DSNES team won't do a whole lot with bad code...

Anyways, if you have answers to any of these questions or can give me a link to a report of the latest SNES9X I (and probably others) would be thankful.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Im just wondering when another version will come out, its been forever since a release.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

The DSNES team might be waiting for the new sound code and graphic decoding emulation to improve. If its buggy, they aren't going to put in the effort to fix it themselves, I wouldn't think.

Anyway, if we eventually see a new version of DreamSNES, it could have significant improvements. Compatibility, sound quality, and probably some speed increase. But as Veggita said, we have no idea when it could see another release. I'm thinkin if it'll happen anytime soon, it'd be a Christmas release.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Depends on how much they've been working on it, and how much they've been working on Snes9X instead.
Psychlonic
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Psychlonic »

Well from the sounds of things, Snes9x still has some work to be done on it. I guess if I had to pin a date on the next release it would be sometime in the spring. This is assuming the DreamSNES team plans on implementing ALL major improvements of the latest Snes9x. Not only will they have to wait for better coding, they'll have to port it over and fiddle around with it some more. That in mind, one could only assume that spring is best case scenario - summer is a more likely answer...
Yeah I know it sucks, but its not like its the end of the world. Besides, good chance of Star Ocean on DC??? I'm sensing a huge increase of site traffic around here...
Anyways I'm gonna try to fish for answers to my first questions some more.
Storminator16
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Storminator16 »

Psychlonic wrote:Well from the sounds of things, Snes9x still has some work to be done on it. I guess if I had to pin a date on the next release it would be sometime in the spring. This is assuming the DreamSNES team ....
...is still working on it. I doubt it.
darkmaster
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by darkmaster »

i always thought that the solution to dsnes project is to make a cvs (in sourceforge) system because many other programers can touch some pieces of code to try to improve the dsnes , if they doesnt have time, let other make some contribution.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Since, from what I understand, the DreamSNES team has been optimizing bits and pieces of snes9x with sh4 assembler, then carrying over new features from the orignal is more difficult. I mean, what if the new feature exists in a part they have already converted to asm? I could be very time consuming. I have to admit though, it sure has been long since the last release.