NEOCD/SDL DC V7

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

NEOCD/SDL DC V7

Post by Ian Micheal »

Added Updates From Pc version of the source base From Fosters NEOCD/SDL v0.3.0 Editon
Added new functions written for the dc version as well. And Fixes for both.

V7 has this improvements
  • - Bios grafix now, are not scrambled, Press ( Start,a,b,x,y together to enter bios) This lets you format the memory card.
    - Auto saving, No user input needed, look at the, VMU to know when it's saving.
    - Auto game loading now, waits till you open the lid, before checking for a game Saves the dreamcast work.
    - New Progress status tells you what to do and when Should stop any user error's
    -Control fix now the select button works bringing in game pause and being able to look at and quit back to the menu from art gallerys.
    - Now supporting proper 2 players in all games.
    - new splash screen
    - Comes with a preformated memory card to use with speuds VMU TOOL has saves built in for metal slug 1 and other games.
    - Some optmizing to the render Changed some Multis to shifts
    - In game pause Select button now works With out breaking anlog control support (fosters)

(Q).What does this mean bios grafix not scrambled

(A).Now by pressing the key combo you can view the Neogeo cd machines, bios And tinker with the, Memory card function it seems to work but you cant, once done this return
or load a game from the bios it's more a novelty at this point.

(Q).What does Auto saving mean?

(A). It means no more pressing left trigger, to save. The emulator detect's when the memory card, is being written to. So now, saving is pretty much like the real neogeo machine, and needs no user input, other then . when the game, asks for you to save at points. This does bring a short delay as, it will save to the vmu when the emulator . detects it needs to write to the card. When this happens the VMU will say saving "wait a moment" Warning only use a vmu With At lest 20 blocks free, and dont use a vmu with importain saves or back them up warning dont remove a vmu when the emulator is on it will crash it.

(Q).What does auto game loading mean really?

(A).New in this version auto loading checks if the lid has been opened, and tells you to take the emulator disk out. It will not thrash the laser like before but only check when you place the, neogeo cd into the dreamcast, and shut the lid. When this is done no user input is needed it will auto load the game wait for it to
load. a black screen is normal till a game loads but over 1 min is not normal Check the game list on what works.

(Q).What's a new progress status?

(A).It's a set of txt prompts telling you what, to do and when, to do it, this should make it the most easy, to use version, better then last time.

(Q). Whats proper 2 player controls ?

(A). Now a keyboard is no longer needed for 2 player games 2, Dreamcast(tm) controlers can be uses to play VS games So proper 2 player controls First version to support this.

(Q).Error? on this version

(A).KOF games have messed loading screens does not effect game play. Some other games prolly have messed Loading screens.

(Q).Still no SFX?

(A).Yes the code is going to be Addapted from Genesis plus SDL in parts and re written for V1.0

(Q).Still Not all games working with CDDA

(A).Correct Around 12 games work with perfect stereo cd sound track Track order is not a problem with real cd's ive been told.

CREDITS
-------

Fabrice Martinez - The original NeoCD emulator
Fosters - SDL port
Caz - For the BeOS NeoCD/SDL build
Karl Stenerud - The Musashi M680x0 emulator
Neil Bradley (neil@synthcom.com) - Multi-Z80 CPU emulator
Tatsuyuki Satoh - YM2610 Mame core
Derek Liauw Kie Fa. - 2xSaI engine
Sam Lantinga (et al) - Simple DirectMedia Layer
Quzar- Region selector, frameskip, frame limiting, auto loading, many bugfixes and optimizations.
Mekanizer - proper vmu display

fackue - for this wonderfull tool
mults 2 shifts (Kamjin) optmizing examples

NeoCD/SDL DC Selfboot 0.2
http://consolevision.com/members/fackue ... oot_02.zip
This will scan the selected directory for you and let you know if you're missing any files, or if

you have the wrong BIOS image.

You can then create a DiscJuggler image if the check went OK.

Dreamcast Port:
Ian Michael, Fosters,Troy davis GPF , BlackAura, BlueCrab

Games With better speed are
-AERO FIGHTERS 2 ( Working CDDA)
-KOF 99
-PULSTAR ( Working CDDA)
-RAGNAGARD (Working CDDA)
-TURF MASTERS (Working CDDA)
-TWINKLE STAR SPRITES
- LEAGUE BOWLING 2players now works and does not drop to 10fps

These games run better some times only slighty but most people will notice it.

Downloads at it's homepage now.
http://www.imrtechnology.ngemu.com/

For people that will complain please read.
12 games were tested All worked some what better then v6.5/ Kof has messed loading screens now. But is faster in game and 2 players now work. Your going to have to live with messed loading screens on some games. Or This release would get pushed back till i fixed it or found out why it's doing it only to the dc version of the source.

So On kof please just wait when the loading screen gets messed it did not crash and It will play so just wait a min.

other then that it's a very good release bring 2 player auto saving and loading and much better booting and use. If you dont like V7 you can allways keep using V6.5

Enjoy.. Feed back on how many screens have been messed Up would be nice and how many games it loads.

What other problems you faced or other games that work with CDDA correctly.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Goenitz
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Goenitz »

Hi everyone!

I'm dying to know how to burn those bin files onto a cd so i can try the emulator on DC. I got a couple of games on Neo Geo CD and couldn't play them but now, if I can make the emulator work...I can! A little bit of help would truly be appreciate it. :)
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Goenitz wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm dying to know how to burn those bin files onto a cd so i can try the emulator on DC. I got a couple of games on Neo Geo CD and couldn't play them but now, if I can make the emulator work...I can! A little bit of help would truly be appreciate it. :)
This will scan the selected directory for you and let you know if you're missing any files, or if

Use this and find the bios it makes a burnable image for you no hard task any more. This tool scanns and makes sure you have all the right files then makes the image.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Good work. Hope i can start helping again for v8. I assume (since you said v1.0) that you are still retaining these versions as Betas right? (original up to v3 you called beta v1 v2 and v3) so this will act as 0.7? Anyways... I think its about time to update the compatability list. Im sure there are games other than the ones you have that now work with CDDA audio and others that are faster or such.

Also, Ian, you mixed up the links on your page to the source and bin version (clicking the source button downloads the bin and bin downloads source)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Fosters
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Fosters »

I call feature, it'll make more people download the source :D

j/k
Goenitz
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Goenitz »

Ian Micheal wrote:
Goenitz wrote:Hi everyone!

Use this and find the bios it makes a burnable image for you no hard task any more. This tool scanns and makes sure you have all the right files then makes the image.
Forgive my lack of knowledge...But I might need a little more assistance here.
I downloaded that file, and it contains ngcdselfboot_02.exe with a readme file and a data folder. I see the tool in there which converts bins to ISO's. I ran that EXE file and it gave me an error. Now, do I have to run that exe file when its in the same directory as the unzipped v6.5bin.rar? Is there something extra that I need to download or anything extra that I need to do?
Again, I appreciate all your help.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Hey Ian, nice work man. Im really impressed with what I have heard about this emulator. That also goes to all who are helping with it.
iq_132
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by iq_132 »

Great work NeoCD DC SDL team!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Opps Well people get the source for a change. Agrees with fosters. Fixed it now Links Unmixed. Yeah Sorry redownload to the other people who dont want the source.

Some intresting info From 6.5 to V7 i made 73 builds and tests Sent throu my coders cable.

Also there is a Preformated card included with the bin you can use speuds VMU tool to transfer it to your VMU and have saves to metal slug and fully working formated card

Goenitz It's simple you get V7 and not V6.5 it's no outdated. You click the program and Browser to Were you unziped the rar V7. place the bios file in that folder click the program it will make a CDI image.

Thanks quzar

All the old Beta version are burned as selfboot cd's. i have them all even ,including the first ever, it only worked Puzzle bubble and was gameboy sized screen. It is about time People Re Test and test more games. Not just on the list. I asked for this and if some people could vist the dev topics on My forum. I will post every thing that needs to be done and what im trying to do, like optmize the render. Still more to be done. Got to save cycle's were we can. If some one could profile the Pc version and find out what, is uses the most amount of time we could try and optimize it for the sh4 chip and how it works. Use it for use and not like normal up hill battles.

It's The best version yet for use and how it looks feels pretty nice Now. You can be sure i will never give up till it's much closer to fullspeed and has SFX and CDDA on more games.

I enjoy working on it, and learning more about the sh4 chip and optmizing for it.

Allways Welcome quzar you know your self you were not on msn much and had exam's.

Main problems left are all very hard and were, going to have to do a lot of work. For the sfx im going to addapt Genesis plus sound code to Neogeo Kos routines and very close to what we have. And while im at it convert the Z80 to the one in mame So we can use the most uptodate Sound code.

Thats All V1.0 Stuff and a lot of work.

Posted edited by me as i was in a hurry
Dreamcast forever!!!
Danatka
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Danatka »

Escuse me, but where is the region selector?

Metal Slug is faster now. But I want red blood!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Hold Up on the Dpad after you change the emulator cd to the game cd While the emulator boots. Keep it held. When you do this wait up to 10 sec a green Region selector will show up alowing you to change for blood or region have fun
Dreamcast forever!!!
Goenitz
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Goenitz »

Hmm, i tried doing that, but it gave me a runtime error '339' Component 'COMDLG32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not currently registered: a file is missing or is invalid.

Ian, I truly appreciate your help. I've been at this for the last couple of hours trying to figure it out...is there anyone here who got it working that might have gotten the same error message that I did? Someone please tell me if I'm overlooking something here. I hate to sound like I'm nagging, but this is getting tedious lol.

P.S. I am using Windows XP if that helps any.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

GREAT GREAT GREAT IMPROVES. I already have V5, it's time to burn a new one!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Goenitz wrote:Hmm, i tried doing that, but it gave me a runtime error '339' Component 'COMDLG32.ocx' or one of its dependencies not currently registered: a file is missing or is invalid.

Ian, I truly appreciate your help. I've been at this for the last couple of hours trying to figure it out...is there anyone here who got it working that might have gotten the same error message that I did? Someone please tell me if I'm overlooking something here. I hate to sound like I'm nagging, but this is getting tedious lol.

P.S. I am using Windows XP if that helps any.
http://consolevision.com/members/fackue ... mdlg32.zip here you go.

Thats what you need. it's rather easy most people have that installed Im on winxp to.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Goenitz
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Goenitz »

Ok awesome, now i got the dialogue where it searches for a directory. But now I got the message "A required file, neogeocd.bin was not found!"

This is great...I'm getting farther, but all it boils down to getting the files I need.
I can't wait until this works.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

You need "neogeocd.bin" 512k version the bios... it cant be included you need to find that your self. We cant help you, with that sorry. Glad i could help you, Goenitz. Once it has been burned it's the easyest emulator to use bar none. As it acts as a boot disk, and turns your dreamcast, into a neogeo cd machine. With improved load times anlog stick, and digital dpad.

Lacks SFX but has stereo cd audio sound track.. it's very good but were allways working on improve it and will.

Thanks for your intrest.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Danatka
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Danatka »

The D-Pad trick is perfectly working, no problem. And it save it to VMU. Excuse me being an asshole and not read the readme file. But I was impatient to see the improvements. I'll read the Readme next Time.
Goenitz
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Goenitz »

Alright perfect! It turns out I had that file from somewhere else....My IMAGE is made! Now time to burn it and put your work to the test Ian! I assure you I won't be disappointed!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Just so people get an idea on what has CDDA if you find a game working fine with CDDA Please post it look at the game's working list and tell me if you test some games not on it as well we like to get feed back on that. Also Been some reports of Real CD games not working right and there backup copy of there own cd working I find this odd.. unless people are lieing to me.

Games With better speed are
-AERO FIGHTERS 2 ( Working CDDA)
-KOF 99
-PULSTAR ( Working CDDA)
-RAGNAGARD (Working CDDA)
-TURF MASTERS (Working CDDA)
-TWINKLE STAR SPRITES
- LEAGUE BOWLING 2players now works and does not drop to 10fps
-TOP HUNTER lot faster.
- WINDJAMMERS ( Working CDDA) Only the menus are messed rest is great

There some errors on games im trying to work out try help fosters and my self.
Blues journey- major grafix problems when you scrolly dissapearing layer?
Some other's to and grafixs errors on most of the KOF games minor one's If you can take a screen shot of them using the pc emu or confirm some errors on the pc version then we will have a lot harder time fixing it if the pc version shares the same error.

Common email to my self when im i going to fix these grafix errors. To that i dont know If fosters has not fixed them. Im going to have hard time only worked on noegeo for a few months he has years on this.

Ok Thats about it please do tests http://www.imrtechnology.ngemu.com/neocdlist.htm

Also using speuds tool We can share saves and I will put them up for download if you want to battle at a game hight score i will start a high scores page so we can get use out of the games VS's every one when freinds are not around ok

Think it's a good idea and i included my card in the download.
Dreamcast forever!!!
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

just tested the newest PC version, the turret gun bug is NOT in there. then again, i didn't burn v6.5, and i haven't gotten that far in v7 yet, so if you think there's anything you did since v6 that will have rememdied it, don't worry about it.

and speaking of my not burning v6.5, it seems to have made this version all the more impressive. kudos, ian. super kudos.