New super famicast infos?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by gamedudex2 »

scherzo wrote:
jessman wrote:Say, just how will the new Nester use Netplay? By what connection, may I ask? I've heard that you can use DSL on a Dreamcast, but really...how can you? I've never played an online Dreamcast game before, and I've had a 56k until a week ago. Please fill me in on just how this'll work, because I'd LOVE to play Mendel Palace or Tecmo Super Bowl against ANY of you sad individuals out there, lol (j/k).

Also, will it finaly support Fist of the North Star or Wrestlemania Challange?

Thanks again man! You, Ian, and Black Aura are the current leaders in the community, IMO.
Well, if you just got broadband, you're all set if you can actually find a Broadband Adapter for your DC and you are willing to spend near $200 for it. I will be definitely be implementing netplay for the BBA.

As for modem users, I think it's VERY possible. KOS is able to dial the modem and connect. And I should be able to use the LWIP library that's used for the BBA TCP/IP layer to get the modem networking implemented. It's all about gluing together what seems to be already there.

I just want to say now that netplay WON'T be in the first release. I wanted to say that in case anyone was confused.

Wrestle Mania Challenge works now. I haven't tested Fist of the Northstar.

And if you think you can beat me in Tecmo Super Bowl then we'll see.

Oh, and DARKGATE... It's bad enough that people are so conservative about "staying on topic" (I like to just let a conversation flow but that's just me), but then you say what I've heard a thousand times, "I want an emulator that's fullspeed!" I want that too of course. People like you act like I'm being selfish... like I have a fullspeed SNES emu for DC in my pocket and I just won't share.

this is great, can't wait til later versions when u have online play :)

but about wrestlemnaia do u have the glitches fixed for the game when playing? because no matter what nes emu i ever used i would get a glitch with a messed up rign thats like made into the parts , it was so weird like lol

if not its not as much of a big deal. but its great to see that you are making this the best version of nester dc ever.... i hope u get zapper support working :) oh and if possibel onc eu get online play, have an option to allow cheat codes online maybe. but only as an option for both players to accept
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Wrestle Mania Challenge has no glitches, but Wrestle Mania still has the glitch where you can only see the wrestlers' heads. It's like this in NNNesterJ too so I don't think I'll find a fix for it in the first release.
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

lol, funny.

the reason being is that when i first played castlevania 3, it was the import version with a converter to allow it to play on north american nintendo consoles. apparently the special sound chip wasnt emulated properly in the converter, so the music was very different. it just brings back memories playing akumajou densetsu with messed up music. lol. i liked that nesterdc gave you the option of doing that.

well, sorry to bore you.
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

scherzo wrote:Wrestle Mania Challenge has no glitches, but Wrestle Mania still has the glitch where you can only see the wrestlers' heads. It's like this in NNNesterJ too so I don't think I'll find a fix for it in the first release.
thats cool, this emulator is getting better and better :)

will you in future releases have an option for use of keyboard for menue system?
that way u can maybe add whatever features and not have to use controler for menue if u have a keyboard
Rev. Layle
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Rev. Layle »

scherzo wrote:
Rev. Layle wrote:questions concerning super famicast:

1) is the source code available for this? (at least for perusal)

2) do you have an idea where you think speed bottlenecks are occuring so someone else could take a gander at it?
1) Yes, it's open source. You can find a link to the sourceforge project page at the main site: http://www.superfamicast.com/

2) Yes, the rendering/realization of graphics and sound is the killer. It's a very complex system. Actual emulation is rather fast.

Feel free to take a look at the code.

weeperofsouls is weird.
you know, dunno how much of a bottleneck this truly is but i noticed in the SPC emulation section: the whole set of 256 instructions are accessed via a array of function pointers. i wonder if a bit of speed would be gained if a jump table or switch statement is used instead and have all the function calls be inline.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

Arqueiro wrote:cant wait for the nesterdc network version lol )()(
DARKGATE wrote::| but in the TOPIC "SUPER FAMICAST INFOS"

why speak of NESTER DC?

Because this:

scherzo wrote:Hey all... ...NesterDC SE is much more fun to code because I actually make progress from day to day...

...NesterDC SE is coming along rather nicely. Here's what I've managed so far:
- No frame skipping. Runs games at complete full speed.
- Zip support.
- Got rid of annoying button delay....
....- If it's in my destiny... Netplay.

That's about it.
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

any new news on improvements and other features u have for nester yet scherzo? it seems to have been quiet in here lol. oh well i know it will be a while before it is out, also thats fine i need to get another dc i will trade my old one in cause motor worn out pretty much :lol:
rastaman33
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by rastaman33 »

one thing that would be so cool is to have nester se
to load up text files with faqs, cheats & codes.
so you dont have to look through a magazine
every time you want to use cheats or faqs. :D
can it be done?
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

that would be cool, a cheat menu system. maybe have all cheats and codes already in a folder and u just select from a menu system with a description of what code is for.

but then again that would all depend on space on cd, but i would not think it would take up much but all depends,. i mean he is working on so much for the emulator, if he does that it might not be in first version, maybe later ones

everyone is more waiting for this to come out then in later versions netplay. me i'm getting a bba from a friend.
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

nesterdc already has that with its game genie support
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

i know but i'm not sure if he says it would be great to have all codes already added the the emu so no one has to look for them and add them. i guess that what he means
rastaman33
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by rastaman33 »

i dident mean game genie codes
this is how i meant
have the faqs, tips & tricks in a text file/s and then read how to do it
like in the notpad, but in nester
so you know how to do it and then go back to the game.

what would be cool :D
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

I want game screenshots when you select a game,to know what are you selecting to play.I also want to see the packaging (boxes) of every game.
Then,a scanned manual for every game.And tips and tricks in TXT format for every game.
And,a frontend for PC which will download any of these,depending on the games you have and are going to put on a CD.So,it will only download what is necessary,not all of the art and data.

NSF support will also be good.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I want game screenshots when you select a game,to know what are you selecting to play.I also want to see the packaging (boxes) of every game.
Then,a scanned manual for every game.And tips and tricks in TXT format for every game.
(Looks through "Ideas for Genesis Plus" list)

Have you been stealing my notes again?
And,a frontend for PC which will download any of these,depending on the games you have and are going to put on a CD.So,it will only download what is necessary,not all of the art and data.
Probably not going to happen. If we have a downloader for that, we may as well have a ROM downloader as well. Anyway, who would compile all that info?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Have some thing sort like that been working on it for a project. Problem im having is including all this info and images might draw some problems from copyright. What about like im going to do a recoreding of each games sound track be it overclock remix when a game is selected the music plays of said game and anmated gif of the ingame action plays.

Have most of this working just using SDL.
Dreamcast forever!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

My idea was - allow the emulator to display loads of information, but leave it up to whoever's creating the disc to compile it. Basically, you can select games based on the games themselves, not by file name, and you can put a load of additional information in there. At last count...
  • Can store multiple versions of a game under the same name
    Game information
    • Name of game
      • Mutiple languages, chosen based on the Dreamcast's language setting, or a menu option.
        Different names for different regions if applicable (like Contra, or Streets of Rage), again based on the Dreamcast's region/language setting or a menu option
      Image of games logo (again, multiple versions if applicable)
      List of supported languages in-game
      Release date (in multiple regions if applicable)
      Developer, Publisher (with logos)
      Supported peripherals
      Other information (like number of players, game rating if it had one)
    Graphics
    • Screenshots (multiple, can be region or language based)
      Box scans (multiple regions again), which are displayed in 3D wrapped around an actual box
      Custom background image for info screen
      Scanned manuals (different langauges/regions if you want)
      Other scanned documents (magazine reviews, previews, adverts, posters)
    Extra stuff
    • Game reviews
      Hint + tips
      Cheats (both in-game and codes)
      Passwords
      Save games if the game itself supports them
      Game soundtrack (probably Ogg Vorbis or VGM/GYM/similar)
      Any other text that might be interesting, like game history, walkthrough, whatever)
The idea is that you could write a disc with a few of your favourite games, and put in as much additional information as you like. For example, you could put all the Sonic games onto one CD, along with every piece of information you could find, alternate versions, complete box art and manuals from all regions, and as much else as you want. Or, if you like, you could just stick the raw games on a CD and go with that.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Very good would be better then some retail collection. :D
Dreamcast forever!!!
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Yes,that's the thing I wanted, just like Black Aura's idea :)
Customizing your CD for several games,including everything about the games,so the whole package comes out better than a retail package :)

I prefer original NSFs over OC Remixes.
(Like a music player of sorts for every game(sound test))
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

NSF thats nes only thou.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I plan on implementing in NesterDC SE a lot of those same ideas BA has. When I near completion I'll write a GUI frontend that will handle the tediousness of building a CD with all the info. I'm thinking I'll write it using wxWidgets so that I can make a windows and linux port and use all the tools we've grown to love like mkisofs, cdrecord, etc..

Even though I'll take a little while, I want to host a large collection of the various extras on my site so that the CD builder can download them on demand.

Maybe we should collaborate and develop a system we can both use.