Bringing an old PC back to life!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

quake 1 doesnt need a real pentium cpu, it might say so, but i ran it on a 486 (stock speeds 50 mhz, Oced to 66) true the framerate was useless, but it worked

anyway, i wouldnt bother with a 486, go find yourself a P1 or P2, those machines have PCI slots, and that will allow for much easier upgrades then those ISA slots

if you lived anywhere near here (holland) i would have some EDO ram, a 200 meg hdd and a 16 bit creative soundblaster for you
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

25mhz? I wouldn't bother unless you can find a faster CPU.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

quzar wrote:I have never seen a stick of ram under 1MB, so that is probably 8mb.
my old 386 has 4 ram slots filled for a total of 2 megs of ram lol Way back in the day (8086/88) you had to push the individual chips directly into the motherboard I had a 8086 with 256k ram and I upgraded it to 640k by hand that was a job.
Firthy2002
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Firthy2002 »

If it's a 486 machine you probably have EISA slots.

I'd use it for old games, but that's me.
"The video game market is troubled..." - |darc|
---
My LiveJournal
---
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

flea market's are gonna be your best friend finding part's for it.....
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

SuperMegatron wrote:
quzar wrote:I have never seen a stick of ram under 1MB, so that is probably 8mb.
my old 386 has 4 ram slots filled for a total of 2 megs of ram lol Way back in the day (8086/88) you had to push the individual chips directly into the motherboard I had a 8086 with 256k ram and I upgraded it to 640k by hand that was a job.
sticks != chips. I know that before EDO was standard there were smaller individual chips, but no sticks. I was gonna say a pair of sticks under 1mb since edo was pairs and i have seen sets labled as 1mb although i was unsure if it meant 1mb total or each =P.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

I'm surprised you'd go through so much work for an old machine. You could at least get into the Pentium-era for pocket change. :( I had stacks of 486 machines I eventually just threw out because it just didn't seem worth the time or effort to get them running or get some money out of the parts.