N64

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by abydos1000 »

mikozero wrote:i play N64 already (even have most of the raritys tucked away, like MQ)
I will back off somewhat on what I said, though for things like the N64 or saturn, getting the real deal is your best bet. I'm glad you've kept your N64. I've kicked myself over and over again for getting rid of my Saturn.

Sometimes though, I get the feeling some people ask this stuff over and over so they can play stuff that ain't exactly kosher.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

abydos1000 wrote:I will back off somewhat on what I said, though for things like the N64 or saturn, getting the real deal is your best bet. I'm glad you've kept your N64. I've kicked myself over and over again for getting rid of my Saturn.

Sometimes though, I get the feeling some people ask this stuff over and over so they can play stuff that ain't exactly kosher.
MQ (Master Quest / Ura Zelda) "ain't exactly kosher" :oops: but then never could be... :(

theres a Saturn in my local "second hand" shop for ?20 (or it might be ?40) should i buy it ?,
theres also a pile of games, and another bunch i spotted in a charity shop.
i have to say that i think emulating that is a tall order on the DC,
i mean there isn't even a PC emulator thats anywhere near complete
and even MAME can't sort out the (arcade version of the) Hardware fully yet.
quzar wrote:not yet. but soon.
nice ! :D
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

gosh you're an upbeat guy, quzar.

lately all i see from you is ____ emulator will be fullspeed in a few months.

let's see some evidence :D
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

sfc, cps and yabause. i would give more in depth explainations, but im not sure where my collaborators stand on that =P.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

drifting slightly, 2 tiny tiny things,
SuperFamicast (if thats what your talking about) doesn't work on PAL 50hz TVs like mine.
(i was told this and haven't tried it as a result, so if i wrong i'll be all smiles)
and are you aware of the Street Fighter Zero/Alpha CPS1 game/clone made for the CPS Changer system ?
hope this isn't speaking out of turn :oops:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

the changer system isnt emulated by mame (since it was a home system) i THINK support for the driver can be hacked in, but with the license changes to mame, and the way they are dealing with stuff, i would want to look into it first (also thats not really a top priority =P).

sfc, i didnt know that it didnt support 50hz... i think it does?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by LyingWake »

IIRC, there's a option the change to and from 60hz in SFC.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

with the license changes to mame
They'd have to really try hard to make the MAME licensing situation worse than it is now. The current MAME license doesn't clearly allow you to do anything in particular with it other than redistribute it as-is for free (see the "against the spirit of the project" bit in the license, which basically reduces to "you're not allowed to make any changes we don't like"), and even then only by accepting personal restrictions on other behavior (i.e. advertising ROM CDs/DVDs of any kind). If that's not bad enough, a bunch of the CPU core licenses claim the right to make retroactive changes to the license, which is so fundamentally absurd as to render the license useless to anyone who would actually pay attention to it...
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ex-Cyber wrote:
with the license changes to mame
They'd have to really try hard to make the MAME licensing situation worse than it is now. The current MAME license doesn't clearly allow you to do anything in particular with it other than redistribute it as-is for free (see the "against the spirit of the project" bit in the license, which basically reduces to "you're not allowed to make any changes we don't like"), and even then only by accepting personal restrictions on other behavior (i.e. advertising ROM CDs/DVDs of any kind). If that's not bad enough, a bunch of the CPU core licenses claim the right to make retroactive changes to the license, which is so fundamentally absurd as to render the license useless to anyone who would actually pay attention to it...
i was simply saying that since it will be changing, i should make sure to figure it out before messing around with it. Frankly I dont know what the problem is with it now, because all i see when i look for mame's lic is this:

Code: Select all

The source code cannot be used in a commercial product without the written
   authorization of the authors. Use in non-commercial products is allowed, and
   indeed encouraged.  If you use portions of the MAME source code in your
   program, however, you must make the full source code freely available as
   well.
   Usage of the _information_ contained in the source code is free for any use.
   However, given the amount of time and energy it took to collect this
   information, if you find new information we would appreciate if you made it
   freely available as well.
I just realized though that technically, the DC ports of mame go against the license because they do not display the information pages prior the the game playing. This may however not conflict with the license from the version of mame that i am familiar with (.36)
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

edit - there's been 3 posts since i started typing :o

ok, i will investigate sfc further :)

btw. sfzch is in Kawaks and MESS if that lends it any legitiamacy,
(and MAME32 plus (i know that doesn't mean much, but i thought i'd stick it in because it represents a driver source)),

sfach (the clone) was not classed as a game (although it is) it was a "Publicity demo"
shown running the attract loop in stores and such, but never released for sale in the US apparently,
it's also rather rare (1 512KB rom) pm me if you need any further info ;)

these games had something to do with Raz creating some of the first XOR tables for CPS2
because they contain unencrypted data which is the same as the encrypted data in the CPS2 version of the same game (link).
so if nothing else they're kinda interesting in a emulation history type way.

but your right, its not a priority, just interesting...
;)
(pauses to consider all the great CPS1 games in the current MAME driver)
oh yeah ! :D :D :D