Sega Saturn problem

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
jemsic
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sega Saturn problem

Post by jemsic »

Hey, I just bought a saturn on ebay. I've never had a saturn before (or known anything about it). The only game i have is daytona usa, and I'm connecting it to a tv by means of an official sega saturn rf switch (which only has 4 pins!?)

The problem is that the volume is a lot lower than genesis or dreamcast. I have to turn the volume up more than twice as loud to get it to sound the same as genesis. Is this normal? How can I fix this?

Any other tips for a saturn newbie would also be appreciated.
FunkyPoopMonkey
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by FunkyPoopMonkey »

I've had that problem with most RF switches. Of course I don't use them anymore, but recently my sister was using one for the PS1 she borrowed. It had that problem. The volume had to go up to 3/4th to really be acceptable, but when you power off, the channel 3 static would kill you.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

FunkyPoopMonkey wrote:I've had that problem with most RF switches. Of course I don't use them anymore, but recently my sister was using one for the PS1 she borrowed. It had that problem. The volume had to go up to 3/4th to really be acceptable, but when you power off, the channel 3 static would kill you.
In other words, either buy another rf switch or upgrade to a/v or even better s-video. S-video is the best picture one can get (that I have used) from a saturn.....
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

official sega saturn rf switch (which only has 4 pins!?)
I'm thinking:

Composite Video
Left Audio
Right Audio
Ground
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

The Saturn's volume level seems to be a bit less than most other consoles anyway, but it shouldn't be drastic. I just turn up my TV a couple of clicks. I use S-video for mine, produces a fantastic picture.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
jemsic
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by jemsic »

Thanks guys, I bought an av cable off ebay (my tv doesn't have s-video). Not only is the sound crystal clear, the video is noticeably better too!
Thanks again