Solaris woes

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Solaris woes

Post by greay »

I know Solaris isn't Linux, but I need to vent. And maybe get help, if anyone can.

So I have these files on the Solaris partition of this HD. Solaris won't recognize the computer's CD burner (or I can't figure it out) or its ethernet card. I put the HD in my Linux machine & I can't get it to mount the partition. Nothing at all is working.

So I was trying to copy the files to a new HD from w/in Solaris, and I was trying to format a spare drive. BUT... I accidentally formatted the wrong drive. :!

What I did was this:

mkfs -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0d0p0 some-big-number

instead of:

mkfs -F ufs /dev/rdsk/c0d1p0 some-big-number

Or maybe I should've used c0d1sN. Whatever; it doesn't matter now because it completely screwed the machine. c0d1 was the empty HD. c0d0, of course, was the one w/Solaris on it.

I'm thinking that maybe just the partition table is fubar, and the data's still there? Since Solaris is on the 2nd partition, I'm hoping that mkfs would be smart enough not to touch data on that partition? Right? Except when I booted from the install CD & tried to copy the files I got all sorts of errors.

Any ideas on what I can do?
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

I might be wrong but in theory you could probably recover the most important files. I don't know how-to though. There was a way for ext2 filesystems (debugfs, lsdel...?) to recover your data after formatting

There're also some comercial programs for data recovery like Stellar Phoenix http://www.stellarinfo.com but I don't have a clue if any of them is valid for Solaris ufs, so I can't help you here :oops:

So I can only tell you that if you had changed your patition table only (fdisk program like) the solution would be as simply as to leave the table as it was before :P .
Godfearing greay wrote:I know Solaris isn't Linux, but I need to vent. And maybe get help, if anyone can.
Is Unix and there's an OpenSolaris project, your thread is valid for me and there's some people here that can probably help you a bit more ;-)
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

LOL Slowaris. Sorry, couldn't resist.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

I really hate Solaris.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

In my opinion Solaris is intended for big systems. You can use it on your desktop computer (if this is what you are doing) but is intended for other main uses

One of the best features is a very advanced hottpluging system, letting you change proccessors and harddrives on the fly (without switching the systems off :P ). Think in all those big machines that are critical for a company and then think in Solaris like a nice solution ;-)
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

In my opinion Solaris was Sun's way of locking customers into Sun hardware and now only exists for backward compatibility. But that's because I'm feeling kinda cynical. )()(
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

yep, I agree . I just wanted to see something good in Solaris :P .
I was under the impression that it had been a quite used system but I uderstand that usually things change after some years.
And being a free software user/lover for some years, I shoudln't have said such a thing :x