Some crits would really be appreciated

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Some crits would really be appreciated

Post by not just souLLy now »

http://www.deviantart.com/view/23697086/

On DeviantArt usually the best you get is "cool" or "crap" so if anyone could give a proper crit of this, what's bad, what's good, what you would change etc. I'd really appreciate it (posting here or on deviantart is fine). I'm striving to improve (for CV) but without any objective outside opinions it's difficult.
LyingWake
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by LyingWake »

That looks pretty sick, I guess the only thing I'd say is I hate when site have a fixed width and I have to resize my browser. I can't really tell how it is just by looking at the picture, but other than that, it's awesome.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

LyingWake wrote:That looks pretty sick, I guess the only thing I'd say is I hate when site have a fixed width and I have to resize my browser. I can't really tell how it is just by looking at the picture, but other than that, it's awesome.
Thanks a lot!
I have miced feelings about fixed width myself actualy, I guess the way I looked at this one is that 95% of machines are running upwards of 1024x768 these days, and designing for 640x480 seems like a waste of screen really. Percentage based widths are incredibly difficult to do in CSS as far as I can make out, and tables based layouts are probably best avoided really... I'll keep that in mind though.
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

not just souLLy now wrote:
LyingWake wrote:That looks pretty sick, I guess the only thing I'd say is I hate when site have a fixed width and I have to resize my browser. I can't really tell how it is just by looking at the picture, but other than that, it's awesome.
Thanks a lot!
I have miced feelings about fixed width myself actualy, I guess the way I looked at this one is that 95% of machines are running upwards of 1024x768 these days, and designing for 640x480 seems like a waste of screen really. Percentage based widths are incredibly difficult to do in CSS as far as I can make out, and tables based layouts are probably best avoided really... I'll keep that in mind though.
Not everyone has their browser taking up 100% of their screen real estate, though. I hate fixed-width because I like to keep my browser windows small. I have apps in the background that I like to keep visible. Sometimes I like to have two browser windows visible at once.

CSS layouts are only difficult if you're expecting to just be able to replicate your tables-based layout in CSS. You have to take into account the differences in the two approaches, and design accordingly. The fluidity of CSS should be viewed as its strength, not as a stumbling-block.

Look at some good sites designed that use CSS for layout, and then look at sites that are designed with tables for layout. You'll notice that they each have a different... character. You'll probably also notice that it's far less common for sites that make heavy use of CSS to have fixed-widths. They may have fixed-width elements, but the rest will be fluid.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Percentage based widths are incredibly difficult to do in CSS as far as I can make out
Not really. It is difficult to get Internet Explorer to render them correctly though.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

I think the problem with CSS based layouts is that 90% of proper CSS layouts are simple little blog sites and aren't particularly content heavy. In many ways in terms of getting the initial template made, tables are way way quicker in my experience for sites that have a lot of info on them. I'm still picking up CSS anyway, I know the bulk of it but the div layout theory is still something i need to get my head around.

From a designers point of view fixed width sites are a lot more intuitive to build. As what you mock up, is what will be seen. I can see the pitfalls of using them though.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

I wish the games in the US were guatanteed.

:lol:
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I wish the games in the US were guatanteed.
:lol:

Other than that spelling mistake I like it :D
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

:P thats how we spell it in the uk
in some regions anyway, kinda.... shut up.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Cicero is pissed at your raping of his work.
It's thinking...