How I'm going to freeload a wifi (legally) for my DS.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
spiroth10
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How I'm going to freeload a wifi (legally) for my DS.

Post by spiroth10 »

yup, it's legal -- as long as I spend a couple bucks on a bagel and coffee...
once I get some wifi compatible games, Im going to head to the nearest Panera Bread restaurant near me -- it says right on the door "free wifi hotspot",
and even though its probably intended for business, there's nothing saying I cant do it!

and if they kick me out, there's a gaming/computer arcade in the next city, and it'll cost a bit more, but Im sure I can do it there too...
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Or, you could just go to McDonalds.
spiroth10
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by spiroth10 »

McDonalds has a wifi??? that's open to the public?

one word -- SWEETNESS...

but... where do you attain such knowledge? :?:
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: How I'm going to freeload a wifi (legally) for my DS.

Post by SuperMegatron »

spiroth10 wrote:
and if they kick me out, there's a gaming/computer arcade in the next city, and it'll cost a bit more, but Im sure I can do it there too...
if they kick you out just sit nest to the building and use it.The is a pizza place in town that doubles as a net cafe and they have open wifi for there customers but your supposed to eat there to use it. When the net goes down here i just park by the door and use my laptop for free.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

spiroth10 wrote:McDonalds has a wifi??? that's open to the public?
Indeed they do.

In addition to normal WiFi access (which you couldn't use with a DS anyway, since there's no web browser), Nintendo have made a deal with McDonalds to offer free wireless internet access specifically for DS games. So you could walk into a McDonalds, pull out your DS, and start playing. Of course, you'd have to find some way to tolerate the food.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

McD's doesn't do that in my town. Good thing Burger King, Bagel Boy, Taco John's, Culver's, and Z'Kota (a South Dakota hardees) does.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I guess wifi has nothing to do with a broadband internet setup?

Basically I gotta leave my home if I wanna play my DS on-line??
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

NEWSFLASH: You can't use your DS on a normal wifi connection. You can buy an adapter thingy, but it has to be compatable with the wireless router.
btm4k
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by btm4k »

spiroth10 wrote:yup, it's legal -- as long as I spend a couple bucks on a bagel and coffee...
once I get some wifi compatible games, Im going to head to the nearest Panera Bread restaurant near me -- it says right on the door "free wifi hotspot",
and even though its probably intended for business, there's nothing saying I cant do it!

OR you can get your own wifi router and play at home. You can get a decent one for less then $50.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

ok. lets get this straight. you CAN play wifi games at home on your normal wifi setup. no problem with that.

Nintendo has also made a deal with McDonalds to allow free wifi access for DS users.

for wifi access at other hotspots, you have to double check and make sure they dont require you to use any login pages or anything else tha will hinder a non-browser compatible device like a DS.
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

McDonalds has had a tie in with nintendo for years. There is a mcdonalds near my house that has had N64's in the kids bar since the N64 launch. I thought it was cool that they had systems in there for kids to play. All I got at mcdonalds when I was a kid was a crappy slide, and a ceramic ronald.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

I remember the Mario 3 happy meal when I was a kid with Racoon Mario as a prize :D
stagg
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by stagg »

I hate when people come in to my parents cafe and don't buy anything and sit there all day. No I ask them to buy something or leave if there there for at least a half hour on there laptop. I mena comeon, a mug of coffee is 1.25, if you don't want to pay 1.25 for the internet all day and unlimited coffee, screw off.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

i cant think of a single cafe/fastfood place in my town that doesnt have free wifi access...

Also Nintendo have already made it clear they will be offering free wifi for the DS in craploads of places, including McDonalds.

Sorry if Im not that amazed, but a cafe providing wifi is nothing new, and Nintendo's intention is for you to freeload in public anyway.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

stagg wrote:I hate when people come in to my parents cafe and don't buy anything and sit there all day. No I ask them to buy something or leave if there there for at least a half hour on there laptop. I mena comeon, a mug of coffee is 1.25, if you don't want to pay 1.25 for the internet all day and unlimited coffee, screw off.
WEP. Change the key frequently. Tell people in order to get the key they must buy something. If you can afford a laptop with wireless and/or a wireless card I'm sure you can afford $1.25 for a cup of coffee and internet access.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by navi »

Wow I actualy have a DS I just need to get one of them USB things for it :p
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

arrowhead wrote:McDonalds has had a tie in with nintendo for years. There is a mcdonalds near my house that has had N64's in the kids bar since the N64 launch. I thought it was cool that they had systems in there for kids to play. All I got at mcdonalds when I was a kid was a crappy slide, and a ceramic ronald.
i still have that n64 thing in my local mcdonalds; although it barely works now and half the controllers are broken.

that mcdonalds doesn't have wifi though :(. I have to go a whopping 2.5 miles to get one that has it.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

So in the US, is it every macdonalds has wifi? I tried searching through the link that was posted. When I went to locations in the US it showed a list of McDonalds offereing wifi in the areas affected by the hurricanes but didnt mention the rest of the country.
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

spiroth10 wrote:yup, it's legal -- as long as I spend a couple bucks on a bagel and coffee...

Panera requires authentication and an email addy. I am not sure that your plan will work.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

So in the US, is it every macdonalds has wifi?
AFAIK they all do in AU, so I'm guessing that the US would be the same. Whether or not supports online DS games is another question, but you'd assume it would.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800