Logitech Z-680 or Klipsch Ultra 5.1?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Logitech Z-680 or Klipsch Ultra 5.1?

Post by MulletMan13 »

I'm currently looking to upgrade my computers speakers from my Harmon Kardon SoundSticks, and am looking at these items.

I've heard the Klipsch before, and was simply blown away... amazing speakers.

But I've also heard good things about the Logitechs, although I've never heard them. I'm sure I'm going to get a lot of pro Logitech posts, but has anybody heard both of them?

Also, looking for the best prices on these too... any help would be appreciated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The Logitech speakers are absolutely excellent bang for the buck; I have the analog, "budget" version of that set (the 640s), which I bought a couple years back for my desktop so I could properly hear my surround mixing in Cakewalk. Logitech products are also (for the most part) very well designed.

However, no Logitech speaker will stand up to a Klipsch product in straight-out sound quality. If you want the best sound quality, there's no competition. Get the Klipsch.
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Just watch Klipsch's with overheating. My old room mate had a pair and under heavy use they'd freak out and get super hot.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

After doing a bit more research, the new high end Logitech set is the 5500's. There are a ton of comparisons out there... Klipsch has the cleaner high end and mids, while the Logitechs have better bass. The built in decoder is nice... and the Logitechs are so much cheaper...

I'm really wanting the Klipsch's, but I may end up going with the Logitechs, because I've prejudged all of Logitech's speaker systems before. Another problem with the Klipsch's is that the OpAmp often goes out, which is annoying.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
ShadowofBob
ShadowOfBob
ShadowOfBob

Post by ShadowofBob »

I've got a set of Z-680s and my roomate has the Z-5500. The pod on the 5500 is a lot nicer than the Z-680 and it sounds a tad better, but has worse styling IMO. It's worth it for the more responsive pod though that also isn't prone to lound buzzing or pops. Both are really cheap on ebay right now.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

I have the Z-5500s set up. With the Xbox 360, they scream, and the power is enough to shake the entire house. The subwoofer is scary. For the price, they're pretty much unbeatable.
Very sexy hero, omg
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Truth be told I don't care much about the bass...

What I want is a clear, full sound for use with music. Room filling sound is what I want, that doesnt sound empty/tinny.

Sorry, its kindof hard to explain, but sound that has presence to it, as opposed to being thin.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

MulletMan13 wrote:Truth be told I don't care much about the bass...

What I want is a clear, full sound for use with music. Room filling sound is what I want, that doesnt sound empty/tinny.

Sorry, its kindof hard to explain, but sound that has presence to it, as opposed to being thin.
They fill the room alright. I don't really use them to listen to music though. In 2.1, the base overpowers everything else. They sound good in surround sound though.
Very sexy hero, omg
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Ordered a pair...

I'm assuming there is a way to turn down the bass and get a good balance between bass and treble. Why is it that most companies seem to think overpowering bass is good sounding? =\

Only reason I took this over the Klipsch's is because I'm curious (and would like to try Logitech's flagship speaker set), and because I would've had to buy an external sound card for the Klipsch's as well.

In any case this will either reinforce my dislike for Logitech speakers, or it will overturn it. I hope for the latter.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

You can tune it. I think the boom has to do with the "subwoofer" culture (i.e. tuner/pimp my ride crap) that is present in the US. It's cool to have your gangsta beatz thumping from a huge sub.
Very sexy hero, omg
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Frequency response graph of an average "gangsta beatz" speaker system (artist's conception):

I had the bass problem with my budget Logitech setup - it was mostly tolerable with the subwoofer turned down to the minimum. For the price the speakers sounded pretty good, though.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

If you build a box out of plywood, fill it with sand, and place the sub on it, the bass will tone down a lot on the budget line. I have a set from there, and the bass is pretty ridiculous, almost annoyingly so.

Then again, in the price range, they trounce the crap out of the terribly tinny and cheap competition, so I can't complain.

For some reason, I'm posting a lot in this thread. I guess I just like Logitech's speaker products a lot -- I own their low end 2.1s, mid-high 2.1s, and their high end 5.1s, and I love them. Impossible to blow out too. :D
Very sexy hero, omg