Latest version of Super Mario War

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Latest version of Super Mario War

Post by Imerion »

I just found out there is a new version of the game Super Mario War available : http://smw.72dpiarmy.com/
There is a DC-port of one of the older versions, but later versions have added many new gamemodes, powerups, etc. So I wonder if someone could port the new version of Super Mario War to Dreamcast? It still only uses SDL anc SDL_Mixer so a port shouldn't be any problems. There are also many map/sound/music-packs and other extras which can be downloaded and perhaps added to the DC version.
Anyway, a port would be wonderful. Its a very fun game.
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

i need to release it, I completly forgot to release the version i submitted to the last dreamon contest. If i can find where i put it all post it on my site soon

Troy
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Really nice! How come I missed that. Anyway, Ill keep an eye on your site. :)

Btw, if you have it, please upload the contest-version of Marfitude as well. Would be nice to try it!
mink03
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by mink03 »

i didnt know this came out on dc at all... must have newest version.. mmm
crabcakes
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

Looks like fun..I can't decide whether to dl it for use on my xbox or my computer :? :x
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Dangnabbit, I was working on that, too! :cry: :cry:
It was going to be my first port...
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Dangnabbit, I was working on that, too! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
It was going to be my first port...
Im not certain if GPF's version is the latest 1.6. If it is not, you can try porting that version.
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

yeah its 1.6, one of these days Ill get off my lazy but and post it, I havent touched it in months so Im not sure where i put it lol, somewhere on my harddrive is the source and probably the zipped up binary I submitted for the dreamon contest.

Troy(GPF)
Morphv2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Morphv2 »

Out of curiousity, GPF, has the horrendous lag been repaired? Like, instead of straight CPU emulation, is the GPU being used? The last one was SLOOOOOOW.
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

ok found the version I entered in the dreamon contest last year, posted on my site
http://gpf.dcemu.co.uk/

Troy(GPF)
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Thanks for posting it. However, it dosn't seem to work very well. I cannot selec level (there are no levels when trying to change) and no mather which I choose I get to a screen filled with blocks. Also, it all runs very slow. Perhaps I did something wrong when burning it?
GPF
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by GPF »

well is it displaying any graphics or playing sound? If not you burned it wrong.

Otherwise its been since last November since Iv look at it and tried the code, but I didnt burn it Iv only tested it over my bba. while some parts are slow, you can change stuff in the options menu to help that out a little.

Or the source is available for download and anyone feel free to fix/finish/resume this port for me.

Troy(GPF)
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

It is displaying graphics and playing sound. I can see the menu and go through it, but once the game starts there is no level, its just filled with blocks. Perhaps I should have removed the cvs-folders?
fuzzymoochicken
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by fuzzymoochicken »

Not sure if you know, but according to my *lover* who tried to use your nero image of Super Mario War, it doesn't work. Like, at all.
Last edited by fuzzymoochicken on Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

fuzzymoochicken wrote:Not sure if you know, but according to my girlfriend who tried to use your nero image of Super Mario War, it doesn't work. Like, at all (according to her, it just burns a blank, useless cd)...
Most Nero 6 revisions won't work with DAO images, which is what most DC images are.

Also, GPF. I'll look at your source code. Judging from what people have said about the speed of this port, and my own porting efforts, I'd say that any DC port will need a resource manager. In my own port, I converted all the graphics to PNG format to save on space. I don't think doing that breaks anything, but I'll find out.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

If you think that would make the game playable, it would be fantastic. How long do you think it would take to implement a resource manager?
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Imerion wrote:If you think that would make the game playable, it would be fantastic. How long do you think it would take to implement a resource manager?
No clue, I've never done it before. = /
I have sort of an idea of how it's done, though.

Also, I found that the one I was trying to port was the 1.7 alpha. XD
Not to mention that I now know porting an entire game on my own is beyond me at this point. however, I'll see what I can do with a resource manager. I just need to figure out how to detect what graphics and such are used in a map and preload only those.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Oh my god, I'm not sure what I did, but my port runs smoothly at around 25FPS! Although the sound doesn't work, and it has a massive memory leak somewhere (I think it's in the map loading). But you can usually get a game off, it just freezes up at the end, or when you try to load a new map mid-game.

EDIT: Is there a function in KOS to print out the amount of memory used?
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Imerion »

Whoo! Sounds like great work so far! No idea about KOS-functions though. Better ask in the programming forum.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

That's great ! Keep it up! :)
Insane homebrew collector.