Wii Zelda ver. requires Wiimote; has Wiimote swordfighting

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Wii Zelda ver. requires Wiimote; has Wiimote swordfighting

Post by |darc| »

In a move sure to upset the groups still not convinced of Wii's merits, George Harrison, Nintendo of America's Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Communications, stopped in a Camp Hyrule chat session moderated by Nintendo themselves and confirmed the Wii version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will only have support for the Wii's control scheme.

Many had hoped Nintendo would allow for dual Wii and GameCube support ala a number of upcoming Wii releases, but Nintendo appears confident enough in its design that hardened fans will have to pick up the GameCube release if they're that hardcore. You still have time to decide which one sways you, as both versions will be launched simultaneously during Wii's launch date this fall.

Additionally, Harrison teased about Virtual Console, which may also host all-new Nintendo games, instead of just nostalgic classics. "Remember, there are other secrets of the virtual console that we won't reveal until we get closer to launch," he said. "Virtual console offers the possibility for us to create new games, but our focus right now is in getting the Wii hardware launched and new games from Nintendo on the virtual console will be coming sometime after the launch."

Secrets, secrets are no fun; secrets, secrets make message boards whine and moan. Let's hope we hear more from Nintendo soon.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3152902

and

Nintendo has made some major changes to the control scheme for the Wii version of Zelda: Twilight Princess. Speaking to Japan's monthly Nintendo Dream publication, producer Shigeru Miyamoto revealed that the game will now allow players to swing the controller for sword slashes.

At E3, players used the B button to swing Link's sword, with Nintendo explaining at the time that players would likely get tired having to actually swing the controller. "Upon actually playing it, it's more interesting this way," said Miyamoto to Nintendo Dream about the new control scheme.

Going along with this change, Nintendo has made modifications to the game's bow and arrow controls. In the E3 version, players aimed with the Wiimote, then actually shot out arrows using the D-pad. With the B button now free, Nintendo has moved the action to the B button. Miyamoto felt that that shooting the arrow with the D-pad was too difficult, and the B button allows for quicker and easier shooting.

It's unclear if the game will require the new control scheme or if players will be able to chose between different methods of control.

Nintendo Dream closed off by asking Miyamoto to name the version of Zelda he personally prefers. The master game maker said that he'd play the Wii version, but added that both versions will be fun.

"I can't talk about it yet, but this Zelda has a lot to it," said Miyamoto. "What you played at E3 was just the tip of the nail." Regarding Nintendo's statement at E3 that Twilight Princess would be the best Zelda in history, he said, "Yes. It's coming along quite nicely."

With Twilight Princess due out at launch, GameCube and Wii owners will get to fully explore the potentially greatest Zelda game ever in just a few months. Stay tuned for more!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/726/726748p1.html
It's thinking...
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

Darcus Magnus wrote:In a move sure to upset the groups still not convinced of Wii's merits, George Harrison, Nintendo of America's Vice President of Marketing and Corporate Communications, stopped in a Camp Hyrule chat session moderated by Nintendo themselves and confirmed the Wii version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess will only have support for the Wii's control scheme.
I'm sorry, but I don't see how that wasn't blatantly obvious. I mean, seriously, why would they even bother releasing two versions of the game if one could utilize both control methods? From what I've heard, there isn't any graphical superiority of the Wii version, so the only difference Nintendo has even really said was that one used the Wiimote and the other one didn't.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster
Been thanked: 0

Post by JuddWack »

For people who aren't buying a wii and will be playing on thier gamecubes I suppose.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

They better have done this only cause they're releasing two versions, cause if they force the stupid Wiimote on fans most won't be happy i for one know i won't. But this also means i won't be buying any Wii launch titles.
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

I posted twice :/
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

WEll I pre-ordered the Gamecube version MONTHS ago... actualyl I take that back over a year ago. I was planning on getting the Wii version, but I am not taking the risk of playing it with that wii-remote. Honestly that is selfish and stupid on Nintendo's part,. How hard would it be to have 1 copy that allows you to select Wii-remote or Gamecube controller.

IF there was a way I could try the Zelda on a Wii-remote first I might consider it, but consider how anal most stores are about returning games I don't see it happening. And when I say try it I don't mean stand in line with people behind me playing it at a demo stand in the store.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Veggita2099 wrote:Honestly that is selfish and stupid on Nintendo's part,
How?

The Gamecube version requires a Gamecube controller. The Wii version requires a Wii controller. This is bloody obvious. They aren't going to release a launch game that requires a controller for a different system.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

BlackAura wrote:
How?

The Gamecube version requires a Gamecube controller. The Wii version requires a Wii controller. This is bloody obvious. They aren't going to release a launch game that requires a controller for a different system.
It would have been easy to make the Wii version work with both.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Lartrak wrote:
BlackAura wrote:
How?

once again (i'm tired of saying this) allowing the wii version to use the gamecube controller would not encurage users to use the wiimote, THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE WII!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Covar wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
BlackAura wrote:
How?

once again (i'm tired of saying this) allowing the wii version to use the gamecube controller would not encurage users to use the wiimote, THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE WII!
Why not give the option? Perhaps make the Wiimote the default? I don't understand why Nintendo or you care how people play Zelda.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

I personally think that offering two versions was a bad bussiness decision on Nintendo's part. What they should have done is either released a version that would play on the gamecube normally, but when played on the Wii uses the Wiimote. Or they should have only released it on the Wii to boost sales of the console, it would be more incentive for people to buy the new console (especially Zelda fans). But it doesn't really matter now because all is said and done.
Feel it, Don't think
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Covar wrote:
Lartrak wrote:
BlackAura wrote:
How?

The stop saying it, because you're wrong.

The Wiimote isnt the entire point of the Wii. The Wiimote is an innovative controller that will be bundled with the Wii and usable with certain types of games. It is a key selling point, but it isnt the core of the console's existance, and it won't be used with every game.

It doesn't take a genius to realise that there are certain game genres that will never work as well with the Wiimote as they would with a proper pad. Nintendo have already said that the Wii's motion sensing probably wont be used with Smash Bros Brawl because:
"We found that trying to implement too much motion-sensory functionality can get in the way of the game"
Which is 100% true. If we follow your argument, you're either saying Brawl would be better of if it were cancelled, or controlled by tilting. Which is just ridiclous, and I'm sure the majority of fans would agree.
Last edited by Specially Cork on Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Nintendo said before that the Gamecube controller would always be a option for people who did not want to be forced to use the wii-controller. Apparently that was a lie.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Veggita2099 wrote:Nintendo said before that the Gamecube controller would always be a option for people who did not want to be forced to use the wii-controller. Apparently that was a lie.
They could, you know, buy the GameCube version.

Really, this isn't so difficult. Putting the Wii controls on a GameCube disc just isn't feasible because the firmware would register it as a GameCube game, most likely shutting off the ability to use the Wii controller.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

atf487 wrote:Putting the Wii controls on a GameCube disc just isn't feasible because the firmware would register it as a GameCube game, most likely shutting off the ability to use the Wii controller.
Which, as I said in another topic, is completely ridiculous. Nintendo developed the console, so it's not like they were stuck with this firmware lockout. They could have easily given developers the option to make a game that worked on both Gamecube and Wii with both control options. Of course, that all probably too late now that manufacturing is underway, but this was a self-created limitation by Nintendo.