Sega screws up my games again

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Sega screws up my games again

Post by Nico0020 »

I was really looking forward to this game coming out. As I thought they might do a port correct for once. They already pissed me off with there bad emulation on the smash pack and sonic mega collection plus on xbox and ecco on GBA.

now we have Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis for GBA. I poped the game in and not expecting much due to my past disapointments. And sure enough i was disgusted. The cropped screen i understand and have no problems with, its just what happens when u move a console game to the GBA. but the game feels like sonic is seperated from the actual landscape. it lags terrible, and with horrible slowdowns. If you look up the sonic model moves forward for some reason. And there are times with the sluggish controls that sonic wont stop running. It feels liek sometimes the game knows it cant push it and pulls a frameskip. Do yourself a favor and leave this one behind.

Look sega, if your are going to make some crap new games and want to go back to your roots, dont ruin my old games.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Been thanked: 0

Post by Gmc »

Sega themselves probably dont port half these titles, they are usually done by other companies I think >_> they jus have the sega title because they own the francises.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

its because the gba can't do blast processing.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

Covar wrote:its because the gba can't do blast processing.
:guffaw:
<WiLdSeXyPrInCeSs> i luv guyz where would they be wifout us gals???
<XeNoX> Still in the Garden Of Eden you gullible bitch.
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

ASCIIN wrote:
...i don't get it o_o;
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Sega does what Ninendont
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

:rofl:
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Hawke wrote:
ASCIIN wrote:
...i don't get it o_o;
http://www.retrojunk.com/details_commercial/2478/
Wikipedia wrote:Strictly the term refers to a technical feature of the Genesis that wasn't replicated on the SNES - the ability for the CPU to be working on one visible section of map while the graphics processor displays another. Since only the visible part of the map is uploaded at any one time, this feature greatly increases the distance that the map can scroll from one frame to the next. Even though few if any people will have been able to discern that meaning from the advertising, the term was pretty successful and helped Sega gain an advantage over Nintendo in the early 16-bit console timeline.
It's thinking...
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

The IGN preview video doesn't exactly seem to exonerate the game engine, either.

I'm curious as to why you'd buy this, though. And I'm not sure what your gripe with the Mega Collection is. I'm not sure about the "Plus" version, but I have the Mega Collection for 'Cube, and it seems to be pretty spot-on. Plus, it's the same price as the GBA port, but includes *all* the Genesis Sonic games.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Strictly the term refers to a technical feature of the Genesis that wasn't replicated on the SNES - the ability for the CPU to be working on one visible section of map while the graphics processor displays another.
I've read quite a bit about the operation old-school VDPs, including the Genesis VDP, and I'm fairly baffled by this statement. In Genesis, the CPU doesn't have direct access to VRAM; accesses all go through the VDP. So if the VDP is accessing VRAM, a CPU-initiated VRAM write can't happen - the memory is busy. There's a FIFO, so you can issue the write anyway (from the CPU perspective), but it still doesn't actually happen until the VDP's done with its access and has a spare memory cycle. Hammering the FIFO might grant a little extra bandwidth, but I don't see how this kind of technique could justify its own marketing term.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I'm curious as to why you'd buy this, though.
Well, speaking on my own behalf, I think it'd be nice to have a portable version of the original Sonic 1. That's why I bought a GP2X though. :D

Anyway, I saw on IGN, they list the developer as TBA. That's a pretty bad sign. 99% of the time, when a publisher decides they want to release a port of an old game (or a compilation of old games) they shop around for a small development studio that will port the game for a meager amount of money. As a result, the quality of the port can suffer greatly.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

well my gba is cheating on its fellow carts with my flash cart. I had a good feeling it would be terrible so i tried it on that first. and i was right. if it was a damn good port i would have picked it up from gamestop in a heartbeat.

btw in that video they show sonic stopping his movement a lot. if you run through a level its so terrible. thats the good side of the game. the slow downs are insain too.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ex-Cyber wrote:I don't see how this kind of technique could justify its own marketing term.
Because it loosely describes the truth and sounds awesome.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Quzar wrote:
Ex-Cyber wrote:I don't see how this kind of technique could justify its own marketing term.
Because it loosely describes the truth and sounds awesome.
Sort of like Sony using the "128-bit 'Emotion' Engine" to help market the PS2.