Questions about GBA emu/misc

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
lim
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Questions about GBA emu/misc

Post by lim »

I was looking into some GBA flash cards, in the hopes of devving but some of the cards claim to be able to run mp3 players, vcd's, e-books and even run NES games. Is this true? I was hoping to use my mp3 flash card in the GBA to play mp3's as is claimed here:
http://www.easybuy2000.com/store/ninten ... h128.shtml
Is any of this true? How does one use a GBA game wallet: LinkRemovedDueToNaughtyContent to run mp3's? These are really neat features, I'm not sure if they are factual, if anyone knows-- perhaps you could enlighten me. Are the banners for flash linkers on this site similar?
Kwik-E-Mart
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kwik-E-Mart »

yes its all true but the mp3 player is from interact i own one myself but its not a flash cart
lim
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lim »

So, you have to buy something extra for the mp3 player to work?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The Gameboy Advance site you linked sells illegal pirate GBA carts, you should remove it before a mod does.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Flash cards are not worth bothering for MP3 or movie playback. MAYBE if you have a game wallet, but even then it's a huge bother to swap around, at least IMO. Just remember, a megabit is 1/8th of a megabyte. A 256 megabit flashcard only holds 32 megabytes, and the card alone is more costly then a standalone MP3 player, or even a minidisc player. The 128 megabit one listed there is only 16 megabytes, that's not enough for most people who want MP3s. The MP3 playback isn't *THAT GOOD* anyways. Movie player.. Blah. Decent, but you can't do anything of real length.

Yes, you can play NES roms, with save states and link support (roms 192kilobtyes or less can be transfered over the link - and you can play 2-player, or just send a friend Metroid and let him play it, but no saving unfortunately) and fantastic compatibility and such. PocketNES was the REASON I bought a flash card, and I got it just after the 256 megabit flash advance came out - it was $200ish then, and I still consider it worth every penny. I also use it as my rental card for commercial GBA games - if a game is good enough to hold my interest for more then a few minutes over pocketNES when I'm traveling, I consider buying it. Don't buy many GBA games though :P

There are other emulators as well... Recently a PC Engine emulator was released. Decent, but don't get too excited - not full speed with most ROMs, not so good compatibility, etc. There is also a recent Sega Master system emulator - that is nearly full speed with sound (no sound in the PCE one) and pretty decent compatibility considering it was released like a week ago. Sega Master System/Game Gear is about the limit of full speed with sound emulation.

Colecovision/Atari emulators are supposedly on the way... Spectrum ZX for those who care.

Soon I will be reflashing my flash advance.. With a bunch of NES roms, a couple GBA games, and I haven't decided what else.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Does the movie player use DivX? THe only movie player I ever saw was a trailer of The Matrix. It was pretty good though.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
lim
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by lim »

Can one hook it up to the TV? Or do you need a game cube for it?
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

There are a couple TV out hardware hacks, but you have to buy them (like $50 for one) and then open the GBA up and stuff. Good quality out though. Easiest is with the upcoming GameCube thing (already released in Japan) which will cost around that amount anyways.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Lartrak wrote:There are a couple TV out hardware hacks, but you have to buy them (like $50 for one) and then open the GBA up and stuff. Good quality out though. Easiest is with the upcoming GameCube thing (already released in Japan) which will cost around that amount anyways.
gamegizmo.com is selling those for $59.00. However it only works on Jap gamecubes or gamecubes with a mod.

If there $60 from there, I bet they won't be over $40 when they do reach the states. Just like to buy a GBA SP its $140 on gamegizmo.com, however there $100 anywhere here in the states.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

az_bont wrote:The Gameboy Advance site you linked sells illegal pirate GBA carts, you should remove it before a mod does.
I didn't see nothing like that at the site.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

[quote]However it only works on Jap gamecubes or gamecubes with a mod./quote]
One word: Freeloader.

It DOES work for any region GC with it ;)
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Veggita2099 wrote:
az_bont wrote:The Gameboy Advance site you linked sells illegal pirate GBA carts, you should remove it before a mod does.
It links to a shop selling pirated multi-carts. The links on the side somewhere, it shouldn't be too difficult to see.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

az_bont wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:
It links to a shop selling pirated multi-carts. The links on the side somewhere, it shouldn't be too difficult to see.
You mean http://www.isonews.com/forums/

If so take a look at that site...government took it over.

Thats the only link to other sites I seen.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Veggita2099 wrote:
az_bont wrote:
Veggita2099 wrote:
You mean http://www.isonews.com/forums/

If so take a look at that site...government took it over.

Thats the only link to other sites I seen.
No, not ISONews - the links been removed now so I can't find it again, but it definately was there. They were selling carts with three or four GBA games, a dozen or so GBC and hundreds of NES games for about $80.