How do you work out these download coasts?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How do you work out these download coasts?

Post by az_bont »

http://www.edgemu.com/bandwidth.php

So if you're using 1Mb/sec of bandwith, and have, on avergae, 10 people downloading at 100kb/sec each at any time (1MB total), how much would you pay a month (ignoring server costs etc.)?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
oakfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by oakfan »

8bits = 1 byte

so 1Megabit connection = 125KiloBytes a sec not 10 100KB/s connections :mrgreen:

Your math was a bit off

small b = bits

Big B = Bytes
oakfan
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by oakfan »

I used to be on Earthlink DSL on a 1Mbit line and I paid about 50$ a month for that
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

oakfan wrote:8bits = 1 byte

so 1Megabit connection = 125KiloBytes a sec not 10 100KB/s connections :mrgreen:

Your math was a bit off

small b = bits

Big B = Bytes
Aahh, I was wondering about that - it's jsut that I'm used to seeing kilobyte as kb, and so I thought Mb was MB :oops:. But was I right in theory - that you could have a number of people downloading from you at that speed and it would only cost what it stated? So doing the maths you'd end up with around 308GB/month bandwith?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

this is one of the major headaches in my course for me. bits and bytes.

why can't they just standardise it? oh yeah, because they are b******s.
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.