Mess build Atari lynx release!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Mess build Atari lynx release!

Post by Ian Micheal »

INFO-----

This driver is not complete so not all the games work right or work at all thats from the pc mess team. a games that does work well is rygar my test game it is running at 36 fps or better other games work but you will have to test them. DO test rygar first as compatibility is not high or good with this mess driver. enjoy please give feed back on other games that work at playable levels.

- in the gui after going back fps counter gave 36fps for rygar it started out before the compiler settings at 24fps some underclocking was needed so the fps may be off both readings were taken after the underclocking ether way there was a speed up.

This is based off warmtoes work on mess and mame source code 0.71
only thing i did was write a make file and some compiler settings

All credit to warmtoe bungs heeps his way with out him this build would not be here.

HOWTO--------

Atari LYNX mess build version 1

How to use you will need LYNX.zip LYNXA.zip drop these in the bios directory, also you will need a game rename any game to rom.LNX i would say use rygar try that game first, this needs to be in software/lynx/rom.LNX if you fail to do this it will not boot.

You can place you other games in that directory as well its not a singlegame emu. what happens is it needs the first game to boot into the emulator once there press START + DOWN and then use the mess menu to insert any game you wish. return to machine and then you be playing that game etc. the main menu has a heap of settings to play with use them to get better speed. ive preset some to give it good speed but maybe you can do better. share your settings.why release it the other lynx emu was at 2fps and had no controls and loaded games in about 5 mins. this is the first playable lynx emulator for dreamcast.

you can get it at my old site
http://www.imrtech.mirrorz.com/

Feel free to mirror the files

SRC changes and makefile needed to build are included.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I dont have many games there were 100 games for the lynx any one got any other games working well but rygar feed back would be good on that :wink:
Dreamcast forever!!!
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

The file has been mirrored:

http://homebrew.dcemulation.org/files/plain/lynx.zip

Has anybody tried out Chips Challenge or Todd's Adventure's In Slimeworld & if you have, did they work?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by emptythought »

ill test them out and give my findings, awesome work warmtoe for mess, and reaper for this build!

[edit] ive just burnt this. i did try rygar, crummy game, but it does run pretty well. heres a list of what i came up with...i have a bunch of roms and will eventually test most of them, getting to select an rom and play is is a pain though.

rampage - loads and shows screen, but freeze about 5 seconds after the roms loaded

bill and ted excellent adventure - loads but then freezes

hard drivin' - got to play is, but the gfx were really screwed up

chips challege - works good, only played 1st level, beat it and stoped playing.

todds adventure in slime world - freezes when showing title, doesnt end up showing "world" (if even does)

i can test some more if you guys would like, name the games and ill test them out.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Thanks for the tests fackue. rygar is pretty close to the real arcade machine some people love it. the driver is not finshed by the mess team so a lot of it is not working when it does its not to bad you can change the settings to any thing you want there are better settings no doubt.

mess team comments MESS Emulation State:

several cartridges playable
blitter imperfect
timer system incomplete
audio imperfect
no serial port emulation

thats why i asked i dont know the several carts there talking about .
Dreamcast forever!!!
miracleman
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by miracleman »

shadow the beast loads but keeps frezing in game,roadblasters wrks but slow and ninja gaiden 3 works lil slow. rygar seems to play the best at the moment. is it just me or is the dc scene really thriving at the moment..gen plus,movie player,quake ports(3 of them),mess,sms plus and dreamfrodo.looks like my dc won't be retiring just yet...
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Thanks yes rygar was my test game all the settings can be modded if you find any that run good for one game or the other let me know ill try improve it.

i only had rygar to test with so its the best. lot of games dont work theres nothing i can do till the messdriverfor pc is finshed but they are working on it so the future is good for this.
Dreamcast forever!!!
eham
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by eham »

Reaper i cant get it to work....
I did evryting that is explain in the readme.
Like to put the both lynx.zip and lynxa.zip in the bios file and rename the rygar rom to rom.lnx and put all the rest of my roms the the same directory and it does not boot :(

3 Questions:

1 Does both zip file must be unziped (lynx.zip & lynxa.zip)

2 There no IP.bin in the build you make can i use any IP ?

3 Do i have to put the Mess built with it?

Thanks in advance and also your a amazing coder keep the good work!! :lol: :lol:
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

2. you should be able to.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
deived
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by deived »

Question, what is MESS? I never realy payed attention to it. I thought it was another arcade emu like MAME. What kind of emu is it?
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Its an emu for multiple home systems based on mame, so think of it as a console & computer mame
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
deived
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by deived »

Sounds cool. Does it play TG-16? Ive been looking for a decent TG-16 emu for a while on PC or DC. I have a TG-16, but only have like 4 games. Good thing Ninja Spirit is one of them :o). But I would like to play Bloody Wolf and Splatter House again.
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

fackue wrote:chips challege - works good, only played 1st level, beat it and stoped playing.

todds adventure in slime world - freezes when showing title, doesnt end up showing "world" (if even does)
Thanks for testing the games fackue, at least one of them works. Now all I've gotta do is remember where I put my Lynx games. :wink:
deived wrote:Sounds cool. Does it play TG-16? Ive been looking for a decent TG-16 emu for a while on PC or DC. I have a TG-16, but only have like 4 games. Good thing Ninja Spirit is one of them :o). But I would like to play Bloody Wolf and Splatter House again.
This emu doesn't, try DreamEngine for TG-16 emulation on the DC.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Or Magic Engine for the PC or Hugo but I cant remember the url for that one
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Here's the Hu-Go url:

http://www.zeograd.com
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well i can build one that does but only a few games work so i have not TG-16 mess driver is not complete. 7 games or more work for the lynx driver thats what the homepage of the pc mess team says rygar is one of them the other 7 i dont know or how many they say it as if there are more. in time lets hope the pc mess team complete the driver and then ill update it.
Dreamcast forever!!!
pdhz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by pdhz »

eham - did u ever get an answer because 5cds later and I cant burn it either.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Maybe reading that fackue tested games should tell you it's your own problem. the thing boots and loads fine.
Dreamcast forever!!!
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

pdhz wrote:eham - did u ever get an answer because 5cds later and I cant burn it either.
Have you tried Selfboot Inducer? There is an SBI of this available from Sbiffy! If you haven't tried Selfboot Inducer, then you should probably visit DCStuff, and check out the tutorial on "How To Use Selfboot Inducer".
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
pdhz
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by pdhz »

Big thanks curt_grymala, the sbi worked great.