CAN U REPLACE THE GD ROM WITH

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Adri_Magnon
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Adri_Magnon »

Hi,

"The GD-ROM (GD for "GigaDisk", referring to the capacity of approx. 1 GB) drive is custom made for SEGA by Yamaha. It uses a regular CD-ROM laser (as opposed to a DVD drive which uses a different wavelength), but has the necessary firmware to access data stored in the proprietary GD-ROM format, which packs the bits more densely than on a normal Yellow Book CD.

A GD-ROM disk actually consits of two data regions, separated by a data-less separator ring. The inner region contains a normal Yellow Book CD-ROM track, and a Red Book CD-DA track. This region can be read in any CD drive. The outer region (outside the separator ring) is the high-density area which contains the actual game data (both files and CD-DA audio).

What little information is known about the GD-ROMs originate mainly from this Powerpoint presentation made by SEGA techs:"

The site has links to the presentations.

http://mc.pp.se/dc/gdrom.html

What I want to know is how to double my RAM in the DC (minus the VideoRam) up to 32MB. Anyone? Anyone? Buehller?

Adrian
brain_donor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by brain_donor »

hold on.
brain_donor
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by brain_donor »

Adri_Magnon wrote:Hi,

"The GD-ROM (GD for "GigaDisk", referring to the capacity of approx. 1 GB) drive is custom made for SEGA by Yamaha. It uses a regular CD-ROM laser (as opposed to a DVD drive which uses a different wavelength), but has the necessary firmware to access data stored in the proprietary GD-ROM format, which packs the bits more densely than on a normal Yellow Book CD.

A GD-ROM disk actually consits of two data regions, separated by a data-less separator ring. The inner region contains a normal Yellow Book CD-ROM track, and a Red Book CD-DA track. This region can be read in any CD drive. The outer region (outside the separator ring) is the high-density area which contains the actual game data (both files and CD-DA audio).

What little information is known about the GD-ROMs originate mainly from this Powerpoint presentation made by SEGA techs:"

The site has links to the presentations.

http://mc.pp.se/dc/gdrom.html

What I want to know is how to double my RAM in the DC (minus the VideoRam) up to 32MB. Anyone? Anyone? Buehller?

Adrian
this is an old topic. I don't mean to insult you but most people here already know this information. there has been discussion before of adding ram to the dreamcast. I think it was decided that the bios would need to be hacked. Dan Potter is working on this here:
http://gamedev.allusion.net/
keep an eye on this. who knows, he may want to add ram too. of course, when the bios can be hacked, you will still need mad solder skills to get the new chips in there and still have them work.
kfazzone01
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Data on GDROM

Post by kfazzone01 »

Is this helpful? gound it while searchin the net.
http://homepages.compuserve.de/bITmASTE ... cdrom.html
http://betawr.ath.cx

Signature eh? My mah always said I should be a doctor, on account of my writin' lookin like... well , lookin like my own handwritin'
Mask of Destiny
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mask of Destiny »

I'm pretty sure that the DC-GD interface is proprietary. There is an IDE bus somewhere on the board, but there's a custom Sega chip between it and that little ribbon cable. This, along with the fact that the GD drive runs at 3.3V is going to make it almost impossible to replace the drive.
AND IF THAT IS THE CASE, THEN GUESS WHAT? We could get some tech people working on it (maybe even crackers), and decrypt the GD-ROM's compression. Then we could burn our own GD-ROMs in theory... because we could just compress our data... then use software to emulate the compression on-the-fly (kind of like the glide wrappers)!!!
First of all, it's not compression. It's standard CD format data that's just been crammed closer together. People understand how it works (even better than described in that powerpoint), it is now simply a matter of modifying the firmware of a CD-ROM drive to get it to read a GD. Unfortunately this is no trivial task, but htere are people working on it.
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

im goin to hook up my playstations {that was murdered} working cd drive wont it be possible that ill be able to play burnt games now i got december 2000 im going to have to modify it so the correct power wires go to the correct dc plugs but i need to know theres two white whires that dont seem to go to any thing in the gdrom can someone explain these?
Ceeg wrote:>_>
*imagines an X Box that can please me........sexually*
Anhaedra
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Anhaedra »

Why did you just revive a year old thread? :roll:
"Please flee in terror in an orderly manner."
Hashmire420
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Hashmire420 »

i guess your right but rather that than make another thread that makes me look like an idiot where somone tells me to look through old threads and gives me the link to this one
Ceeg wrote:>_>
*imagines an X Box that can please me........sexually*
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Anhaedra wrote:Why did you just revive a year old thread? :roll:
Actually, it's closer to 3 years.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

Even if you manage to power the cd-rom drive, your still risking that #1, the drive will even work, and #2, most importantly, that the drive will be able to "communicate" with the dc. This has been discussed many many many times, and in the end, its always a failure. If you have a DC your willing to kill (which is a good possibility), then go ahead and experiment, but dont be surprised if it goes pop zoom bang zing smoke crap its dead.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
dcmodder
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by dcmodder »

ruff ruff ruffffal;sdkjfalskdjf f al;jas grrrrrr!!! threre's not POINT!!! :evil:
wont u be my friend?