Dreamcast Version 2

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast Version 2

Post by Chainfist »

Anyone Know if, before the fall of the DC, SEGA had been working on plans for Dreamcast 2.0?

The last issue of Dreamcast Magazine hinted about a possible Dreamcast 2 in the works. The next months publication wasn't printed and a month later SEGA axed the Dreamcast.

I wonder if there is a prototype or initial plans for a Second Version of Dreamcast. Likely it would be backwards compatable with DC1 but likely have a fast DVD-ROM, more memory and faster CPU (Hitachi?).

If this info is available, it may aid in making modifications to current DC systems.
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

sorry man i dont know where the HELL you got you info but ill quote EGM's interveiw with Bernie Stolar(i think thats his name, the sega america prez?).

EGM - So wil sega be developing hardware anytime soon?

Bernie Stolar - Not in my lifetime.

i think this quote pretty much speaks for itself. if u dont beleive me buy last months or the month befores EGM. U will see what i mean.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian »

That would have been so awesome... Sega is so much better than Nintendo or Microsoft could ever hope to be.

...if only they had the backing of Squaresoft, there would have been some amazing things in store for that company...

>= (
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
Bplay36971
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Bplay36971 »

I read that magizine, but they didn't talk about a new Dreamcast instead they talked about upgrading it.
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

Google Search For: Naomi 2

It's what most likely would have been the 'Dreamcast 2.0'.

The DC was Naomi 1.

The Naomi 2 is backwards compatible with the Naomi 1 board, and has GD-ROM, etc, etc... (but packs a bit.. more).
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

?

Post by Chainfist »

Naomi Motherboard? Tell me more... Is this Naomi 2 available? Are 3rd party internals availabe to boost CPU speed? I wouldnt mind give'n the DC a bit of a push when the frame rate drops off while playing THPS2 in 2 player split screen.
Chainfist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Google Search

Post by Chainfist »

From all my Searching.. this forum has been the best resource for finding out about hardware mods for DC. Sure there are a lot of replacement parts around but nothing I'd consider an upgrade from the current system...
NiGHTSFTP
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by NiGHTSFTP »

"The Naomi2 arcade systems are based on the PowerVR architecture and also incorporate an advanced PowerVR co-processing engine for great game dynamics and full hardware geometry transformation and lighting (T&L), which reduces the CPU load to 1/10th, as well as direct and efficient support for use of multiple PowerVR rendering processors for super high performance and outstanding image quality."

I love you PVR.. http://www.powervr.com/PlatformArcade.asp

Also check out: http://www.jesler.com/products.html .. the racing game for it basically smacks down all racing games to date. (uses PVR graphics card)
Signatures images may be no greater than cock pixels high by dick pixels wide in dimension and balls kilobytes in filesize. Multiple images may be wang, but in total they may not exceed the johnson specifications.
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

Actually thats a good point sega is still making arcade machines i *think*. and theres always naomi 2. thanks for the info.
DeGamer1
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DeGamer1 »

Oh, no. NO! You can't do this to me. Don't give me a playstation. NOOOOOOOOOO! I don't want a piece of crap. Take it back and burn it to heeelll!!! Die Sony Computer Entertainment with you PS (Piece of Sh?t) and your PS 2 (Piece of Sh?t?2)
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

Before I begin, I would just like to say that I have no hard facts to back up what I am saying, it is merely speculation & hearsay.

I remember reading a very brief report in the UK official DC magazine that Sega had begun preliminary development on the replacement to the DC within a year of the DC's launch. I speculate that it would be based around the Naomi 2 arcade hardware (all of Sega's consoles have been based on arcade hardware).

However with the demise of the DC any such plans (if they existed) were scrapped :(

Today, while in a reputable videogame shop (Game in the UK), I overheard the following conversation that I have reproduced as best as I can remember below;

Man & woman (after expressing interest in buying a DC): Is the DC being phased out?
Assistant: No, in fact they are relaunching it with a DVD player built in. Well at least there are rumours that they are.

He then went on that say that you can get software to play PSX games on the DC (but did not mention that you are limited to only 3 games) and that many DC games look as good if not better than their PS2 counterparts.

So I don't know if this is true, or just a desparate ploy to sell their remaining stock of DC hardware.

The only way I can forsee such an event is if Sega liscence the DC hardware to a 3rd party (Majestic?) who would be able to make it cheaper & include DVD capabilites.

As I say, I cannot confirm this, but it is interesting ... :?
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

...interesting...
>= )
Do you really think that is possible? I mean, I'd love to see it happen, but I don't want to believe it... it sounds too good to believe... kind of like J Henderson's N64 Emulator...
You never know, though...
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Wow... I typed J |-|enderson and it automatically replaced it with John Henderson = Plonker. Nice.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Oops... it put in an extra "= Plonker". >= |
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

I really wish sega would make another console.........my DC experience has been ok.......but the Genesis rocked.

Another thing.........sega doesn't use that gay gamebit screw system. The other day I brought my GBC to my basement to LED mod it.......and wouldn't ya know.......before I de-threaded the gay gamebits I noticed that I could do about jack CRAP inside my GBC. Nintendo is anal about piracy.... :evil: :!: :evil: :!:
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

Double post sry all.

The most fun thing about Dreamcast, for me, has been this website. And for that, I'm grateful. If it is true that sega is indeed making a new console I hope it will have as happening a scene as this.
Bplay36971
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Bplay36971 »

ok i found my ODCM magizine that talks about the DC2. First of all there were no plans fora dreamcast 2 but there were plans or at least ideas for upgrades. They wanted to make Dreamcast the their central idea. They said Dreamcast will acquire an inexpensive multiplatform architecture. This means the dreamast architecture would be integrated into a 1 or 2-chip piece of technology. This can then be licensed and slotted into any number of consummer devices.(like DVD players, box set-tops, or even PC's) All the facts i just said i have taken out of the magizine and did not make it up. So there were really plans or at least ideas for upgrading.
Bplay36971
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Bplay36971 »

by the way i got this from the ODCM Issue 11 dated Febuary 2001
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

is that an american magazine? and what does odcm stand for? if its american ill try a local gamestore that keeps all its magazines that it doesnt sell.
Bplay36971
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Bplay36971 »

yes it is American and it stands for Offical Dreamcast Magizine. It is kind of like nintendo power but it is for dreamcast. You might be able to buy an old issuse but they stopped making this magizine.