Saturn Analog Controllers on the Dreamcast?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Saturn Analog Controllers on the Dreamcast?

Post by MidnightObsidian »

I was looking through the previous posts and I was wondering if it would be possible to get the old analog controllers from the Sega Saturn to run on the Dreamcast. I think that those controllers have the absolute best design EVER, and I'd love to be able to use them on more than just Sonic R. >= )

So does anyone know if it would be possible to do that? I know that you wouldn't be able to use VMUs on it, but you could use a normal Dreamcast controller in the second player port for VMUs.
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Oh, and I'd like to be able to build it, not buy it.

...still, any suggestions would be welcome as far as products go.
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

well ive read a lot about this and basically u have to ladipate your dreamcast controller AND the saturn controller. they are both sacrifices for the monster know as your new controller! :evil: :!: u take the button out of the dc controller and put them where ever u want in the saturn controller after u take it apart. u have to use the innards of a dc controller and the skin or whatever of a saturn controller. ive seen a mod with a psx and genesis switch and various arcade sticks. its pretty straightforward and mostly physical stuff. maybe a little soldering(i know u suck at that lol :D ). well good luck. ;)

btw yea i have heard of saturn -> dc converters :|
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

This sounds really, really scary. There isn't any way to just splice the cords? >= (

But if I did it, would I still be able to use the Saturn analog pad?
tom61
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by tom61 »

MidnightObsidian wrote: This sounds really, really scary. There isn't any way to just splice the cords? >= (

But if I did it, would I still be able to use the Saturn analog pad?
Nope, and Nope. I'd recommend getting the Total Control 3, I think baysoftgames.com and lik-sang.com carry these.
pkScary
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by pkScary »

yea but he wants to build it :?
LithJoe
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by LithJoe »

if anyone is interested i was thinking of designing and making a interface(using an old dc contoller, the madcatz type) that would allow you to use old nes/snes/megadrive/spectrum/atari/whatever else pads/joysticks easly with the dc (plus you dont need to hack your old controller either, just one dc contoller ). maybe also have a macro option so u can record button presses then play them pack with just one key, what do you think?

if there enough people wanting this i'll design and make it :)

L8r

LithJoe
unisprise
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

ooh ooh!

Post by unisprise »

I would love to have something like this... but there are so many frigging controllers availale for the systems already emulated on the dreamcast...
I was also wondering if theres any way to implement trackball support.... even though no system has made a trackball controller for years now.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

I'd love to see that, LilthJoe!
I@N
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by I@N »

I have been thinking about doing this myself, but have not yet got around to it.

I don't think it would be that easy to make an interface for other consoles controllers without using some sort of microcontoller (which I have no experience with).

The easiest way would be to make a replacement custom PCB for use in the different controllers, that way there would be a standard interface, regardless of what system's pad you are using.

Also, would it not be possible to hack a DCs mouse to become a trackball?

I hope this helps :)
Drink your weak lemon drink now!
LithJoe
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by LithJoe »

I was thinking of using a 16f84 for the microcontroller running at say 4mhz(ish) as this can be done very easly, i have loads of experiance with these little chips so once ive got my madcatz controller i can have a simple version upand running on breadboard within an hour. Now just a couple 'problems' to sort out:

q1. how are the macros programmed and played back?
a1. Either programmed by a serial interface on the pc or via the control pad 'blind' and i have no idea how we could select which macro we wanna play back quickly

q2. could we have Analogue controls?
a2. not sure maybe, the analogue controllers in the controllers(!) seem pritty straige, but ive not looked at the closely, maybe easy to emulate

thats all i can think of for now but im sure lots more will pop-up :(.

I might get a madcatz controller on monday tuesday if i can find one. then i will make a start. any ideas/thoughts welcome

LithJoe :D
la_eternal
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by la_eternal »

Just in case anyone was wondering, the total control 3 adapter does not work in running the saturn analog pad. I know because I got one for that purpose and it doesn't work (although regular saturn controllers, which are good for fighting games, do work on the tc3).