My modded Genesis!

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

My modded Genesis!

Post by Lartrak »

Well, I'm importing a Japanese only Megadrive game (Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyo Toitsusen, the Treasure-made 4-player fighting game), and rather then messing with a game genie, I decided to install a region switch.

The procedure was pretty easy, I followed a PDF on gamefaqs. It involved opening up the Genesis, taking off the RF shield, cutting down into the board in one area, then soldering some wires to a single pole, double throw (SPDT) switch. I also had to wire one wire straight to another point, permenantly setting the console to 60 hz (I didn't bother rigging a 50/60 hz switch, as my TV can't handle 50 hz and the only PAL game I might import won't run right if you switch it back to 60 hz after booting it). Then I drilled a hole, enlarged it a bit, ran the switch down there, drilled two holes for the screws, and screwed the screws down through a very small o-ring (to give them something to resist, so they hold in tighter).

It works fine, though I haven't recieved the game yet. Booting Sonic 2 in Japanese mode makes Tails name become Miles. Some games give an error when booting up in Japanese also. Good stuff.

You can see I didn't do a pretty job, but it functions great.

One other little trick I had to do involved the cartridge slot. Japanese Megadrive games are shaped differently on the front, so I pulled out the old dremel and buzzed it down a bit to get my only Japanese mega drive game, Herzog Zwei (which is a great game, if you haven't tried it), to fit. Good times.

Anyone who is thinking about importing Japanese megadrive games and has a Genesis 1, I definetly suggest giving this a try. It was very easy and fun to do.

Guess that's about all I have to say. Yay.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
Mikey1109
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mikey1109 »

cool man. i always wanted to do this kinda thing to my gamecube but i still neeed 30awg wire. id just be doing for the hell of it tho, cuz i dont import games.
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

Now all you have to do is overclock your Genesis. http://69.93.226.156/host/epicgaming//md_oc/howto.php
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Digital Chaos wrote:Now all you have to do is overclock your Genesis. http://69.93.226.156/host/epicgaming//md_oc/howto.php
I've seen it and have thought about doing it. However, part of the fun of playing games on older systems is that it is the original hardware, and the exact original experience - including the slowdown. Of course, very few Genesis games have much slowdown anyways.... It would be a lot more useful for the SNES. I am curious how well a couple games run though, such as Zero Tolerance. Maybe someday I'll do it.... Even if I botch it, I have an extra genesis downstairs.

Of course, thte tutorial there does have it set so you can switch between clock speeds.... Hmm. Other than a couple space shooters, I can't really think of any significant Genesis games with slowdown. Anyone?
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

All of the Sonic games featured slowdown. If you were hit by an enemy whilst there was a lot on the screen, especially if you had a lot of rings, it slowed to a snails pace for a couple of seconds. Same if you place too many objects on the screen with debug mode.

Other than that I don't know.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

There are games with slowdown. 2-player Gunstar heroes comes to mind, there's a ridiculous amount of stuff on the screen sometimes (including lots of bullets). But its not bad, not nearly as bad as a lot of other platforms. I'd rather OC a SNES, but it'd probably be a lot harder, and I don't know that you could get it very high. Some Genesis units OC to slightly more than double stock speeds, with maybe a passive heatsink if needed (but it shouldn't need one, it either runs at 16Mhz or it can't).

Also, OCing beyond a point can cause some games to do funny things, and screws up Sega CD games, which expect the Genny to run at 7.68.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Hmm slowdown sucks, it's not classic to me....
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

The game I experence the most slow down for Sonic CD. Then again most SegaCD games have slowdown. I've really thought about doing this except for the problem that I do not know if this works on the second generation consoles.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

And bear in mind that it doesn't work for Mega CD or 32X games.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

[Pee-Wee Herman]Well duh Silly[/Pee-Wee Herman
sonick
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by sonick »

http://www3.telus.net/sonick/sega/

thats my genesis mod, added an internal speaker into it...

I also have a region swtich too (took forever to find one for the original genesis), i placed it on the top rather than the side though.

That overclocking looks interesting...
jpizzaj
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by jpizzaj »

:twisted: mines better its made by X-net modz ill post pics soon theyre not on x-net yet
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

jpizzaj wrote::twisted: mines better its made by X-net modz ill post pics soon theyre not on x-net yet
So you paid someone to do your mod? Eh, when you have a pro do it, I'm not impressed. ;-p