NEOCD/SDL DC V7

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by BaldMonk »

So I take it you got it workin then Brucey? :D
Cygnus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Cygnus »

Has anyone tried AERO FIGHTERS 3 / Sonic Wings 3 on the newer releases of this emu?

I know it's on Ian's compatibility list, but I think it was tested on an old version.
Odity
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Odity »

First of all thanks for this emu :D
If the goddess of the DC will bring sound to it and increase the speed a little bit i would get more space in my living room! Then the NGcd will go into the deep cellarMy wife will pray to these goddess that it will happen... :P
(Are the goddess girls or boys... hahaha)
But another thing, on viewpoint the speed is to high! At the beginning the game is so fast you can not control it! Maybe it is the hardcoded frameskip. Is it possible to implement an automatic frameskip. Or does it slows down the emu?
Another problem is in the game "Puzzled" it seems to work right, but the backround on the playfield (it is tetris like) is in the front and the bricks fall down in the back... Not so good to play, when you can not see anything :lol:
Thats all for now
Thanks for this wonderfull, and excelent emu to all who are include in the project
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Frameskip is pesudo auto. pleanty of better games to play. and with no error stick to those.
Dreamcast forever!!!
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

i just got to play metal slug.
well, what a work of art, ian and his partners got to reach a great level!
BTW, except for puzzle bobble, what other games have the speed and smoothness of metal slug? any real bout fatal fury? top hunter runs like it too?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Most games run Faster then metal slug and smoother. |Yeah top hunter runs pretty much great.. no CDDA or sfx on that game other then that very well. real bout fatal fury Runs very nice as well. Some errors now and then.

Most games run better then metal slug which is nice. Metal slug 2 runs the worst of any game ive tested. Much betteron V7 then v5 for example.

Thanks for the support DCmad it is a a work of art. lot of love from me in it as well hehe.
Dreamcast forever!!!
brucedeluxe
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by brucedeluxe »

I tested out Viewpoint, I confirm what oddity said. The start/ continue? screens are too fast, and the sprites sometimes go behind the BG (like other games). Speed and sound is excellent though!

Also tested Super Spy, works full speed, no sound.
Eat it the newbie way
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

I wonder what the sprite problem is caused by. I'll try one of the games with the PC version and see what happens.
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Okay, this sprite/background problem is evident in the PC build aswell... that's where the root of the problem is. However, the stuff like missing energy bars in Samurai Spirits is due to the fact that frameskip is on. The bars flash in Samurai Spirits, much like the shadows in most Neo Geo games, and that's why you can't see them sometimes... it's skipping the frames that show them. lol.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Maybe not i tested that put frameskip on the pc version and it did not do that. Plus frameskip is auto.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

its because of your underclocking. also the frameskip is nowhere near automatic, it is fixed at ~4 (i dont know what other calculations are made from). I suggest next release taking out at least the double vbl slice and you can compensate by tuning down 200000 to 180000 or 175000
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

it's fast and nice i like it. you called it auto not me :wink: i dont want to do that remember v6 slow not playable not going back to that.

We been in to this before it stays.
Dreamcast forever!!!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Ian Micheal wrote:Frameskip is pesudo auto. pleanty of better games to play. and with no error stick to those.
Are you sure it's not real auto frameskip. If it's the same code that you've got in that copy of the Genesis Plus source code, it is auto frameskip. The one I use in Genesis Plus is slightly different (it uses milliseconds instead of seconds, and is implemented completely differently) but it should do the exact same thing. The only difference is that mine doesn't skip more than 10 frames, and yours doesn't skip more than 4 or 5.
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Yeah, I agree it stays. lol. Not that I REALLY have a say in the matter. But Ian, yeah, it is due to the frame skipping, or underclocking... you'll notice on some games, only one shadow will be visable. If you change the frame skip to an odd number then the problem should be solved. Try 3 or 5 and see what happens. at the moment because it's on 4, it will only do even numbered frames, 4, 8, 12 etc, but having an odd number such as 5 will go odd, even, odd, even, which should eliminate the vanishing shadows and energy bar. :)
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Speed is the most importain thing lot of games work with no errors. im happy with the project it's fully playable and i cant notice frameskip at all on the games i play. When i make a release it's based on would i use it . this i have been a lot.

I know a lot of people are happy with it.
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Thu May 20, 2004 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

BlackAura wrote:
Ian Micheal wrote:Frameskip is pesudo auto. pleanty of better games to play. and with no error stick to those.
Are you sure it's not real auto frameskip. If it's the same code that you've got in that copy of the Genesis Plus source code, it is auto frameskip. The one I use in Genesis Plus is slightly different (it uses milliseconds instead of seconds, and is implemented completely differently) but it should do the exact same thing. The only difference is that mine doesn't skip more than 10 frames, and yours doesn't skip more than 4 or 5.
One i gave you is slighty changed. Quzar beleives his code is not i beleived it was. So there's a it's auto it's not frameskip war.

So pesudo was the midle ground. with the heavy underclock setting frameskip makes not that much change any way but helps to take away a few cycles leting every thing run pesudo fullspeed.

We have no SFX yet i think enjoying it for a while was needed V7 lets the user enjoy it now. While i try to find real speed.
Dreamcast forever!!!
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Yeah, I like the speed too Ian. How long would it take to change the frameskip to 5, test it and then change it back? Just for arguements sake to see if it solves the energy bars and shadows?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Shadows Work for me in a few games. I say it's a compiler setting. With out one setting non of the grafix work right.

NAM 1975 is fullspeed no cdda fully playable.
Dreamcast forever!!!
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Yeah, I've been playing NAM!!!!Its hella cool. Lol. Hmmm, yeah , shadows are there for me two, but if they're the flashing kind, they are only on one character, because the characters shadows are only visable in differen't frames...
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Shadows flash and work On ranguard. been throu this before it's quiet random. to tell you the truth, i hate the flashing shadows I was suprized when i made them go away people complained makes games look better to me.

Games with grafixs errors allways had them since the first version> both me and fosters are porters of it.

The first version to the last dos version has these error. Like i said lots of games with no error's play them. list is large the HQ of the games far better then snes or nes.
Dreamcast forever!!!