a new version of dcplaya?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by qatmix »

I cant get Mpeg movies ot play properly they are really corrupt. (These are VCD quality mpeg 1)

Again, anyone got the windows dctool exe? v1.03 doesnt support the z command
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

About modem support, yes I'd like to have it working too.

For the subtitles, yes, it can read .srt files. The code that read .srt file is very very basic and I didn't test it on many files.

Also our font is not very complete so if you have accents or , worse, special encoding, it won't be displayed perfectly.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

zigziggy wrote:
Alexvrb wrote:Yeah, I threw a couple of higher res, higher bitrate videos at it to see what it would do. It played them, but it couldn't keep up by a long shot. If they aren't already turned off by default, the filtering in ffmpeg should be made optional so I can turn everything off. Also, is it supposed to leave the browser and everything up while the video is running? I mean I can close it myself, but I figure it'd be easier if it closed/opened them automatically when you start/stop videos. Or assign that function to a trigger or something.
What filtering are you talking about ? There's not filtering performed in the ffmpeg plugin. As for the slowness, unfortunatly at the moment, it's just like that, try divx with lower resolution and bitrate.
I might have been thinking about ffdshow, which uses ffmpeg. But I don't know if the post processing is something that ffdshow implemented, or if it was already there. I just noticed that ffmpeg has an ffplay program using SDL for testing stuff out. Hmm...
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

Alexvrb wrote:I might have been thinking about ffdshow, which uses ffmpeg. But I don't know if the post processing is something that ffdshow implemented, or if it was already there. I just noticed that ffmpeg has an ffplay program using SDL for testing stuff out. Hmm...
The ffmpeg library just output to you raw pictures, it's up to you to display them in the way you want. They also provides some conversion functions or things like that, but I don't use them, they're just there for reference but mostly non optimised.
hrb2k3
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by hrb2k3 »

i found a quick fix for the mono sound bug. if i go into the console and mess with the ff_limit_fifo setting, the playback clears up. i noticed that command messes with the fifo tracker and also noticed that when the fifo tracker is full, the mono sounds garbled. so i set the limit to, "ff_limit_fifo 240" and the fifo tracker only stayed around the 900 mark, but the mono playback was cleared up.

maybe that can help in fixing the bug.?
DC FoReVeR.!!!
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

hrb2k3 wrote:i found a quick fix for the mono sound bug. if i go into the console and mess with the ff_limit_fifo setting, the playback clears up. i noticed that command messes with the fifo tracker and also noticed that when the fifo tracker is full, the mono sounds garbled. so i set the limit to, "ff_limit_fifo 240" and the fifo tracker only stayed around the 900 mark, but the mono playback was cleared up.

maybe that can help in fixing the bug.?
Definitely ! I noticed that problem, but when listening to radio (which are the only low bitrate / frequency mp3 I've ever listened too). So I though it was related to the network, but if I understand correctly you get that problem with files too.
Thanks for exploring the problem, that will help to find the bug :)
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

great i'm waiting [drooling] for the debugged version!
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

any idea on teh mpeg movies?
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

ehm, any news about it?
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

Hey - I just thought of something really cool, now that you have built-in movie support, and someone mentioned subtitles. Is there any chance that DCPlaya would ever be able to read CD+G or mp3+G discs? Then we would finally have a homebrew karaoke player for the DC. That would be bad-ass. I only have one CD+G disc, but it would be sweet to be able to play some karaoke on my DC with DCPlaya.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
SynDalis
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by SynDalis »

My success story:

I encoded a 1000 kbit/sec video file (divX 4.12), with a 64 kbit/sec 44mhz mp3PRO audio track, running at 320x240 resolution, along with a subtitle file (SRT).

Ran like a friggin dream. SOOOOO much better than dcdivx. One thing though. When a video file runs, I would like for there to be an auto-minimize of all the separate plugins running. Its a pain in the rear going through each item and either killing it or minimizing it. Maybe even a single button auto-hide option would work.

Also, are there any plans to incorporate the ability to pause/ffwd (or an easier fix of a keyframe skip button)/rewind/etc? I REALLY miss the ability to pause my film.

But GREAT work! This is the best movie player on the DC, bar none.
The coming of the white....
cpe
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by cpe »

Everyone talks about movie but what about the Tracker. is it only ProTracker (.mod) or is FastTracker(.xm) and ImpulseTracker(.it) also supported? Nearly every trackermusic i have is either Fast or Impulsetracker nearly none are in protrackerformat.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

SynDalis wrote:...I encoded a 1000 kbit/sec video file (divX 4.12), with a 64 kbit/sec 44mhz mp3PRO audio track, running at 320x240 resolution, along with a subtitle file (SRT).
Ran like a friggin dream. SOOOOO much better than dcdivx...
But GREAT work! This is the best movie player on the DC, bar none.
can you give some more info about that? what was the length of the video? and what about sync? any issues with freezing like dcdivx in higher bitrates?
i will put a music clip in my next dream inducer compilation and would be happy to try this aspect of dcplaya.

@zigziggy: are you planning to release a bugfix version for now? not rushing you, but i'm waiting for this to burn my last disc :)
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

About karaoke, I am not personally very interested (understand it's not high on my priority list). The subtitle code is entirely written in lua, the source is in lua/subtitles.lua. Adapting it to play karaoke file may not be very difficult ... You could do this from within dcplaya with the ZED editor if you have a keyboard attached :)

About the Tracker, I can't tell you since I'm not using it and I didn't develop that plugin. I know Ben used the mikmod library, so you might check what formats that library supports.

About pausing and fast forward for videos , that's on my todo list, also with an interface to tune luminosity / contrast.
SynDalis
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by SynDalis »

can you give some more info about that?
Okay, here are the specifics.

ImTOO DVD ripper:
320x214 (1:1 ratio with dvd output) video
1000kbit/s, DivX 4.12
direct dump to .WAV Audio

Nero Burning Rom:
mp3PRO encode audio, 64kbit/s, 44khz, stereo

Vobsub:
Generate srt file

vdubmod:
Splice all the pieces together (except for the subs, of course), direct stream copy

Final result:
Kill Bill Vol. 1, better than vcd quality (as far as I can tell), on one disc, compatible with my dreamcast :).

One last thing. No skips, lags, hiccups, or desyncs of any kind. You REALLY coded the grail here, fella.
About pausing and fast forward for videos , that's on my todo list, also with an interface to tune luminosity / contrast.
Hotness! |/| :o |/|
The coming of the white....
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

DCmad wrote:@zigziggy: are you planning to release a bugfix version for now? not rushing you, but i'm waiting for this to burn my last disc :)
Sorry but this is going to take a bit more time. I'd like to take in account most comments so far ...

I wonder, how many people have a BBA and can use it in dcplaya ? There is one thing that I could do is to provide a script that would patch dcplaya from the network.
bucanero
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by bucanero »

zigziggy wrote:Sorry but this is going to take a bit more time. I'd like to take in account most comments so far ...

I wonder, how many people have a BBA and can use it in dcplaya ? There is one thing that I could do is to provide a script that would patch dcplaya from the network.
I've a BBA, but I'vent tested this new DCplaya version yet. Can I load it directly from my PC, using DC-tool ip?
I don't know what kind of BBA support has DCplaya yet, but it would be nice if it could open my hard-disk mp3's folders directly trough the network. :)

Well, I'll know as soon as I try it. :) I'll post any comments about DCplaya & BBA.

keep the great work
c ya!
zigziggy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by zigziggy »

bucanero wrote: I've a BBA, but I'vent tested this new DCplaya version yet. Can I load it directly from my PC, using DC-tool ip?
You can do that, but dcplaya needs some external files, and they are located on the CD in a dcplaya directory.
I don't know what kind of BBA support has DCplaya yet, but it would be nice if it could open my hard-disk mp3's folders directly trough the network. :)
It can do that, you don't even need to launch it with dcload, you can attach dcload after you've booted dcplaya from the cd.

The other option is to setup an apache server on your PC, dcplaya can also access thtough http. However it doesn't browse http, so you'll need to have setup a playlist with all your songs with the correct URLs.
CyberMick
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by CyberMick »

Im glad to see that DCPlaya is receiving a much needed update and thanks for that zigziggy.

I loved the original Playa and it is my favourite mp3 player for the DC, although the old version suffered with VBR MP3 im glad that it wont be a problem for much longer.

Keep up the good work I look forward to using this especially now it supports DivX finally a DC multimedia centre to be proud of. :D
Regards.

CyberMick.
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

The BBA stuff is great. I cant browse my PC atm because I dont have the latest dcip tool. It would be good if DC playar came with a tool to run on teh PC (one Click) which would set up the DC -> PC neworking. Also will you be able to get DHCP working? Personally the Idea of the netowkign is my favourite as it can play MP3s ogg and divX and hopefully VCD's from my PC.