Setting up a DC dev enviroment...

If you have any questions on programming, this is the place to ask them, whether you're a newbie or an experienced programmer. Discussion on programming in general is also welcome. We will help you with programming homework, but we will not do your work for you! Any porting requests must be made in Developmental Ideas.
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Setting up a DC dev enviroment...

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Last edited by DARKHALO2K on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
spiroth10
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by spiroth10 »

there is no guide to DC development, sadly...

although for linux (like I have) get a build script.
for windows (Like you probably have) get cygwin and a build script...

they will set everything up for you...

as for a tutorial, you can ask others here (:))), most developers are very nice in that way... or you can look at the KOS examples...

I was going to do some devving myself, but this old computer craps up on me everytime I set up a cross compiler for some reason.

edit: oh, yeah! and dont forget to pick up a good book/tutorial on C/C++... you'll need to know at least one of those... personally, I like C. its a tad faster, and isnt object oriented... I was never a fan of that...
but you might like object oriented programming so check C++ out too. but you'll need to know C first, C++ is really an add-on to it.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

yea i got BlackAura's build script and that works awesome. i'm also working on his tutorials, but my coders cable won't get here for another few weeks.(damn lik-sang)

those to things should give you the basics, as for stuff like 3d and sound, well i'll let you know when i get there.

links
http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/f ... c_build.sh
http://files.frashii.com/~sp00nz/Doom/f ... ura/tutes/
DARKHALO2K
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKHALO2K »

Last edited by DARKHALO2K on Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mogorman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mogorman »

man use colinux, it is so much better than cygwin, if you arent ready to make leap yet.
-------------------------------------------------
some say the glass is half full
some say the glass is half empty
I say thank god they gave me a glass
spiroth10
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by spiroth10 »

only if he has a newer version of windows though... it wont work with pre-XP versions... so Cygwin might be his only option...
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Post by ATani »

spiroth10 wrote:there is no guide to DC development, sadly...
Hmmm... seems people have forgotten that I threw something together over two years ago!

http://www.atani-software.net/dcprog/
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

ATani wrote:
spiroth10 wrote:there is no guide to DC development, sadly...
Hmmm... seems people have forgotten that I threw something together over two years ago!

http://www.atani-software.net/dcprog/
If you wanted people to remember, you should have hammered it into a giant stone monument. :wink:
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

I'm also interested in BA's linux script, seems it's a bit outdated. What are the latest ggc, binutils, newlib, kos,... that can be built and works fine?
thnks
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Post by ATani »

bender wrote:I'm also interested in BA's linux script, seems it's a bit outdated. What are the latest ggc, binutils, newlib, kos,... that can be built and works fine?
thnks
GCC 3.4.1
NEWLIB 1.12.0
BINUTILS 2.15

Note, you should use the Makefile provided by Jim (http://3e8.org/hacks/dc/dc-chain-0.1.tgz) as it will do the build for you and also patch it for basic posix(-like) threading. This also is required if you want to use the latest KOS SVN versions (which are actually very decent)
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

very cool. it has everything what i need :)
i'm going to build this tonight
thnks :D
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

i have downloaded binutils, newlib, gcc-core, gcc-g++ and untar-ed into my ~/dc-chain-0.1/ .
My problem comes with kos and the new svn versions. I have my svn private repository in ~/kosrepo, updated to version 165 using Dan's python scripts, doing:

Code: Select all

svnadmin create kosrepo
svnpull.py kosrepo http://gamedev.allusion.net/svn/
i feel a bit stupid but i don't know how to extract the kos 158 version files from my private repository(158 it's the version for the dc-chain Makefile), so i can put the files into my ~/dc-chain-0.1/ and i can do a 'make' to build the complete toolchain with the patches

also if i browse my ~/kosrepo , i can't see where are the kos files.
i need your help. thnks
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Post by ATani »

bender wrote: i feel a bit stupid but i don't know how to extract the kos 158 version files from my private repository(158 it's the version for the dc-chain Makefile), so i can put the files into my ~/dc-chain-0.1/ and i can do a 'make' to build the complete toolchain with the patches
Actually, dont worry about the KOS patches... remove all references to these as they are not required (Dan already integrated the important ones).
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

thnks.
I've downloaded latest kos version(18 September) and removed the 'patch_kos' from the dc-chain's Makefile. Everything it's ok now
now i think i only need to check if kos it's ok or get a good environ.sh :D
ATani
DCGen Creator
DCGen Creator

Post by ATani »

bender wrote:thnks.
I've downloaded latest kos version(18 September) and removed the 'patch_kos' from the dc-chain's Makefile. Everything it's ok now
now i think i only need to check if kos it's ok or get a good environ.sh :D
Be warned that a lot of the examples in the tree do not compile cleanly... However, you should be able to compile any of them with only minor adjustments, most of which Dan already knows about.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

thnks. i've built kos. Everything ok. :D
Seems that the last version does not compile the examples by default.
I think the only missing thing it's to set the comunication between the dc and the pc for the coder's cable for linux :D
neoak
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by neoak »

mogorman wrote:man use colinux, it is so much better than cygwin, if you arent ready to make leap yet.
Not all the people are ready to use linux, even if it is very similar to a Windows enviroment. I used Linux long ago and i try to avoid it since my bad experience with LILO.

I know it has changed a lot, but i jsut F***ing hate to compile everything.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

neoak wrote:
mogorman wrote:man use colinux, it is so much better than cygwin, if you arent ready to make leap yet.
Not all the people are ready to use linux, even if it is very similar to a Windows enviroment. I used Linux long ago and i try to avoid it since my bad experience with LILO.

I know it has changed a lot, but i jsut F***ing hate to compile everything.
For DC development, that's the only way to keep up with the latest development version of KOS. That, and if your Windows is on a FAT32 partition(and maybe NTFS by now), there are some Linux distros that will reside on the same partition as Windows and won't require you to write LILO to your MBR. That might be an option for some people.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I really dislike LILO as well, and I've never once managed to get it to work, so I don't use it. GRUB works much better, and you can use the Windows NT/2000/XP bootloader to load GRUB or LILO without installing it to the MBR anyway.
bender
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by bender »

I have LILO in one machine and GRUB in my another one. I like LILO because it boots faster than GRUB for me (using the 'compact' option) but seems that does not work with iptables. If you are configuring a firewall use GRUB ;)
The freebsd loader also boots win (9x,nt,xp,..) and linux. You can probably use it even if you don't have freebsd installed