N64 ----> Dreamcast Controllers

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Slamoid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

N64 ----> Dreamcast Controllers

Post by Slamoid »

Hey, has anyone tried converting the N64 controller for use with the DreamCast? I saw the most awesome N64 accessory the other day, it's a pack that you plug into a 64's controller that lets you just tip the controller to move!! I wanna use it on the DC!!! Does anyone have Teuts that I could use on making such a conversion, or can I just snip the wires on the end of the capbe and put on the different connector? How would I do this?
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, than the packet pocket socket has an error to report.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Oh god!
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

This probably wouldn't even be worth doing. You would have make so many changes...it would just be crazy. You would probably have to make a little box like those bleem!pods that have you plug your PS1 controller into it. I seriously doubt that would ever happen, because there is really no use for it. And those tilt paks kinda suck. Reviews said it didn't work that well...
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

And another thing, the N64s shoulder buttons (L+R) aren't even analog (pressure sensative), so it wouldn't do the right thing. And you wouldn't be able to use VMUs, it would just be crazy.
MidnightObsidian
Symbiotic Anomaly
Symbiotic Anomaly

Post by MidnightObsidian »

Yeah. Sorry, dude, but the N64 controllers make me want to stab myself in the eye.
I'm not Clessoulis. Seriously.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

Yeah those N64 controllers weren't that great. I do think it was good for Goldeneye and Perfect Dark though. I couldn't imagine playing those games with any other controller. The new Perfect Dark is gonna be a bit akward with the Gamecube controller, but I will still get it...
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

It doesn't matter the N64 L and R are digital. So are PSX, they just are always at max every time the thing is pushed. I'd guess it would be possible, you just wouldn't have the two far away C buttons mapped, and Z would equal L and R would equal R. I think it could work - the guy who says he will do the NES to DC (which I am eagerly awaiting, got my nes controller/DC controler and soldering crap all ready) might be able to help you out. He managed to get analog controls working ok on non-DC controllers.
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

Well it would be interesting, but I wouldn't want to cut off the tip of a DC cord or anything so I could plug it in.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

He styled his thing so that a cord comes out of the back of a mad catz controller with a db12 female end. Then you can just solder a cord with a db12 male end coming out. You can have multiple odd types of controllers on a single mad catz, and the mad catz still functions correctly.
la_eternal
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by la_eternal »

the one N64 controller I liked (and would like on the DC) was the superpad 64 plus. If you can find it and use it, I think you'd like it over the standard pads.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

If you pay close attention to Marvin's NES tutorial... and read his comments on the nes to dc controller topic (before the tutorial was released) You'll hopefully understand the concept of what needs to be done. Basicly all your doing is using the new controllers buttons to send the signal to the mad catz that a button has been pressed.

Technicly... If I wanted to take the time... I could set the numberpad on a phone to be a dreamcast controller using his method. Not really enough buttons... but you probibly get the idea.

the N64 controller is definatly not a favorite controller... its actually one of the reasons I never got an N64. But I guess if thats what you like then you should be able to mod one for DC use.

After looking over that tutorial I'm rethinking things a bit. This same method could be twisted around many ways... Maybe with a lil work I could get a PSX controller hooked to an N64. The Z button would be the only problem I can foresee.
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
SinisterTengu
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by SinisterTengu »

Heh, yeah the Superpad 64 Plus was pretty good, until my sister and her dumb little friend played Mario Kart. She pressed the Z button so hard that it broke in. Then it was useless, because so many games used the Z button. I had 4 other controllers anyways...