March 4th daily NesterDC released

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

March 4th daily NesterDC released

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

Here are the latest changes:

fix Rock Ridge filename handling.
using bilinear filter.
a change on TA driver.

http://nemesis.kaz.ac/~fumihit/nesterdc/daily/
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

using blinear filter?! Wow that does mean it has this same cool option that FrNes has. Have somebody already burn't this one? What's that option like.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

I'm just about to burn it so I'll see soon. I'm also going to post some images of this new NesterDC at DCEvolution
RockManX
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by RockManX »

Exactly how does bilinear filtering work, what does it do?
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

Whenever you strecth a texture (or in the case of NesterDC, the screen) it will only look the same as the original if you stretch it by a multiple of two. For instance, take a 32x64 image:

now stretch it to 34x70:

Notice that the blocks are not all the same size and there are uneven gaps between them? This is because the extra pixels are rounded to the value of their closest neigbor. NesterDC had the same problem because the NES used a resolution of 256x240, and the dreamcast uses a resolution of 640x480. Now here is the same image with bilinear filtering:

Bilinear filtering fills in these extra pixels by averaging the value of the four surrounding pixels. The resulting image looks closer to the original, but usually has a blurred look. Here is an unfiltered NES image stetched to 640x480:

Now here is the same image with filtering:

The second image does seem a little blurry, but on a TV it is hardly noticible. On scrolling games the effect is more pronounced because the distortion stays in the same places. Filtering gives these games a much more natural look.

*DISCLAIMER* The first three images are not to scale, and actual results may vary.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Wow

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Great explanation Oz! Please note that FrNes uses this same option. And maybe more emu's will follow.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Dr Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr Zoidberg »

The games in this version of NesterDC do seem to look nicer, although I'll need to load up an older version to be really sure, I might be imagining it.