Should the Dreamcast Scene do something?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Should the Dreamcast Scene do something?

Post by GyroVorbis »

Do articles like this ever get you thinking?

http://dreamcast-scene.com/index.php/Ma ... akaLovesDC

If Sega loved the DC sooo much, why don't they do something about it? Why can't they maybe have like a little link on their navigator or something to a DC homebrew site? Why can't they maybe announce in their site news for a day or two that the DC homebrew scene exists? Why do they have to turn their backs from us and pretend like we don't exist? Why do they want to keep everybody oblivious of our purpose and achievements?

Do you know what might happen if they did that? Sure, a lot of people might go "kthxbai I have a Ps2," but I'm sure there are a lot of people who still have DCs and would love to get involved with the scene.

Why can't Sega support us? Why can't they release the dev-kit or something? We support them and their console more than they do. a lot more than they do.

Should we petition or something? Should we let our efforts be known to the world somehow?

I don't see what a company like Sega stands to lose by doing both and releasing the devkit along with acknowledgement of our existance. It's not like they have to do anything or make any sacrifice. Not to mention this is kinda maybe supporting their own console just a bit. </scarcasm>

Lemme make an analogy of what is happening here.

Your mom goes out and wrecks her new car. She gets really depressed about it and decides to junk it. You learn automechanics and teach yourself the ins and outs of car repair just so that you can fix it. When you finally do fix it, you're like "Look mom! I fixed the car!" She replies "Sorry son, I already got a new one," then she pees in your mouth.

The better scenario:

"Wow son, I can't believe you did that! Look, I have already moved on and bought a new car, but as long as you pay for your own gas and insurance and leave me alone, you can keep the car. Oh, and I won't pee in your mouth. Here are the keys. kthxbai."

thoughts?
Last edited by GyroVorbis on Sat Oct 15, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Smurph »

I like the second one a lot better. The one where she doesn't pee in my mouth.
Snayperskaya
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Snayperskaya »

Have you guys (coders/artists/musicians) ever sent them a Demo disc with homebrew material and emails explaining/asking them what you want to support you? (props, sending material that would help devving - even i don't think they would send Devkits for free) ?
SEGA: More than a softhouse, a legend.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Good idea. I'll send them a demo of Viva La Samba and tell them that if they release the devkit or support us or even mention us that I'll buy the new Shadow the Hedgehog game for the Dreamcast Sta--err PS2 and pretend like I enjoy it.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

GyroVorbis wrote:Good idea. I'll send them a demo of Viva La Samba and tell them that if they release the devkit or support us or even mention us that I'll buy the new Shadow the Hedgehog game for the Dreamcast Sta--err PS2 and pretend like I enjoy it.
lol, nice.....you could try mass-emailing them....or not....because there servers might crash.....but yah! they have nothing to lose! why can't a large corporation have a soul for once....i mean they should cut you devvers a break, there is only so much u can do without the SDK...SEGA really has nothing to lose....the least they could do is reply... (and i think Snayperskaya has a good point there....maybe if you asked to purchase an SDK...?)
Feel it, Don't think
Snayperskaya
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Snayperskaya »

By the way, there was a SDK beign sold on eBay.
(also with a 50-pack of GD-Rs and a GD recorder.)
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

when?

*EDIT* i didn't see one for dreamcast, but a found a PS1 dev-kit http://cgi.ebay.com/SONY-YAROZE-PLAYSTA ... dZViewItem
Feel it, Don't think
Yikarso
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Yikarso »

Sega certainly would have nothing to lose. In fact, the official dev kits could be a big hit and get them some money. They aren't Microsoft (who has already maxed out their bank at 999,999 mesta), they could always use some extra cash.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

that seems like a resonable request to me...sell their useless Dreamcast dev-kits at a reasonable price to those who want it, i mean it's a powerful little console, and it would just be amazing to be able to code your own games on it like that (and maybe i could finally add opposing force to HLDC)

*Edit* what if a bunch of people emailed them several times and asked them to consider it?...i'm going to email them, i know that much....
Last edited by Nemesis on Sat Oct 15, 2005 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel it, Don't think
Snayperskaya
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Snayperskaya »

about two or three months ago. the three items were sold by the same user.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

if it's not to much trouble, try to look up who bought them, and email them asking for a data-copy or something...
Feel it, Don't think
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

There is no PS1 kit for sale on ebay, it's a net yaroze, which is their officially released for the general public version of their kit (which sucked).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

GyroVorbis wrote:Good idea. I'll send them a demo of Viva La Samba and tell them that if they release the devkit or support us or even mention us that I'll buy the new Shadow the Hedgehog game for the Dreamcast Sta--err PS2 and pretend like I enjoy it.
Getting them to release the official devkit as freeware will probably piss off a lot of people who worked on KOS.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

well maybe they'd release it as a product (i just emailed them)
Feel it, Don't think
Travis of the Cosmos
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: Should the Dreamcast Scene do something?

Post by Travis of the Cosmos »

GyroVorbis wrote:
Why can't Sega support us? Why can't they release the dev-kit or something? We support them and their console more than they do. a lot more than they do.
IIRC, Sega can't give away developement kits even if they wanted, because they include licensed 3rd party software/libraries such as Microsoft CE.

If you make a game with the official devopment kit, you can't legally release it.
Wise fwom your Gwave!!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: Should the Dreamcast Scene do something?

Post by Quzar »

Xylene wrote:
Getting them to release the official devkit as freeware will probably piss off a lot of people who worked on KOS.
I doubt that. In fact what would probably happen would be that kos would receive massive updates with different little things that are used in the official kit. kos is already supposedly quite a bit better in many respects than the official kit.

The biggest difference is that we don't have people who know about 3d stuff in order to make the games.
Travis of the Cosmos wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:
IIRC, Sega can't give away developement kits even if they wanted, because they include licensed 3rd party software/libraries such as Microsoft CE.

If you make a game with the official devopment kit, you can't legally release it.
That's not true, the microsoft CE kit was completely seperate from the katana dev kit. And the 3 or 4 audio setup deals were also seperate (although could be had with katana in some cases).

Also, it isn't true that you can't legally release a game made with an official development kit. If you pay for licensing and sega were to approve it, then you could definetly release it.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Personally, I wouldn't leave kos anyway. It's mostly so we can understand and learn to do things with the Dreamcast that we haven't been able to yet. It's more like to help kos than to replace it.

Can't Sega share some of their tools to help improve our own homebrew scene? I remember reading somewhere (maybe booyaka) that Sega was actually helping VMU dev by giving information about registers and the hardware.

I wasn't meaning like "omg guys here, have a devkit." Of course they aren't gonna be free. I'd pay for it.
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

I think it's pretty obvious why Sega doesn't sell us all Dreamcast dev kits... they won't make anything off of them.

It might seem like the Dreamcast homebrew scene is huge, and there would be really high demand for the official dev kit, but there wouldn't be. Only a small fraction of the people who post on these little DC forums would actually purchase one.

I hate to say it but it's true. Sega lost enough money with Saturn / Dreamcast. They don't want to lose any more.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

What would they lose by announcing that we exist? Even just once, what would it hurt to recognize the people who didn't abandon the DC after Sega did?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Quick, lets ask if they have any devkits they have lying around that could go for cheap.