Should the Dreamcast Scene do something?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nemesis »

i emailed them.....here's what i said.

"Hello, Many Dreamcast homebrew devvers have an inquiry for the SEGA corporation. We would like to know if SEGA would be kind enough to release the Dreamcast Software Development kit, for purchase of course. Many people out there love the Dreamcast (including myself) and are trying to breathe new life into it by making homebrew games, but there is only so much that can be done with what is available. Because many people still play the Dreamcast, and it is still very good hardware-wise, releasing the SDK would be extremly appreciated to the Dreamcast enthusiasts out there.

Thank you for your time!"

yah, yah, yah, i sound like a total tool, but ya gotta be overly nice sometimes to make them even give a $hit......
Feel it, Don't think
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

GyroVorbis wrote:What would they lose by announcing that we exist? Even just once, what would it hurt to recognize the people who didn't abandon the DC after Sega did?
I was talking about Dev Kits in my last post, but yeah... I agree whole-heartedly. It would be nice if Sega recognized the work that's put into making Dreamcast homebrew once in a while.

Maybe, if we all pester them with enough emails, they would!

[EDIT:] Speaking of emails, nice job N3m3sis! It's better to sound like a tool and send the email, than to have never sent anything. ;)
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

Thanks!! , thats what i was saying earlier, if a bunch of ppl email them just politely asking if they would do something, then maybe they would....i mean it's not like they have to do much, i'm sure they have a few sitting in a box in storage somewhere....

*Edit* Actually, they know how old i am, my full name...and my cell-phone #....and area code.....and email....they ask you a lot of stuff....
Feel it, Don't think
Delin hong
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Delin hong »

Be sure to post up any reply.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

what you need is an inside email address, just sending one to answering monkey will do nothing, they ignore this sort of thing. DC-Scene should have gotten contact details for that guy from sega in the second article, if he really was hurt by the DC's doom then he should be able to help in getting inside help.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

Prophet][ wrote:what you need is an inside email address, just sending one to answering monkey will do nothing, they ignore this sort of thing. DC-Scene should have gotten contact details for that guy from sega in the second article, if he really was hurt by the DC's doom then he should be able to help in getting inside help.
yeah.

N3m3sis, remind me to buy you a car if this works. :D

*goes off to write letter to Sega*

I wonder if it'd help if I said that I actually own a SegaCD/32X?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

It occurs to me that none of you have been here very long. I must point out then, that this has been tried in the past. We have had contact from actual sega employees on the dcdev mailing list, as well as someone from the makers of the powervr chip.

All emails sent to sega on this topic are automatically filtered out and given a generic response. It is their policy not to answer any question that they don't really have to.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Delin hong
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Delin hong »

Quzar wrote:It occurs to me that none of you have been here very long. I must point out then, that this has been tried in the past. We have had contact from actual sega employees on the dcdev mailing list, as well as someone from the makers of the powervr chip.

All emails sent to sega on this topic are automatically filtered out and given a generic response. It is their policy not to answer any question that they don't really have to.
Presumablty it would be different if Yuji Naka got us a more direct contact or a recommendation?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

also, it would be more acceptable/credible/whatever coming from an actual contributor or whatnot. I'm sure if Dan Potter or marcus or peter or any of the bigwig original coders were to ask their contacts for contacts, it would hold much more merit.

Some guy who likes emulators emailing them asking for stuff isn't gonna get far =\.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

So? why not try to get in contact with someone who would care, like the ex-dreamcast programmers or something, these people aren't hard to find...u just need to find the right person with some credibility with SEGA and get on their good side and the gears will start turning, and i realize crap like this hardly ever works and other people have tried...., but it's worth a shot

*edit* The first thing to do here iwould be to assemble a list of Dreamcast programmers and developers and such, then look up their adresses/emails, and contact them with the proposition...
Last edited by Nemesis on Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel it, Don't think
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

To me it seems that if sega ever had the notion to release their dev kits it wouldn't be because of people asking.

ALSO, there is no way they'll release it for at least another few years since there are still Dreamcast games being made in japan.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

yah, but not to the extent that any real money is being made, and they wouldn't have ot worry about that anyway because the SDK would be in english, and it's not like it's going to be distributed to everyone all over the internet...
Feel it, Don't think
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

N3m3sis wrote:yah, but not to the extent that any real money is being made, and they wouldn't have ot worry about that anyway because the SDK would be in english, and it's not like it's going to be distributed to everyone all over the internet...
that makes no sense. think about it. how would you feel if you were one of 5 japanese game companies that was sticking with the dreamcast and actually still making games, and all of a sudden sega says that in the US/EU there are no licensing fees?

Unless you mean release the development kit to anyone who wants to buy it, and they still have to pass the licensing requirements and all to get a game officially put out. This basically would make no difference as anyone who would know enough to make a game that would merit using the official dev kit would just use KOS instead for free, and since it would still cost, we wouldn't be able to integrate info from it into kos.

Basically it doesn't make sense for sega to release it here for free when there are companies elsewhere still paying to put out games, and it doesn't make sense for them to put it out for purchase because it wouldn't be used.
drybed
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by drybed »

dreamcast is dead people, work on the xbox, that needs more work
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

Quzar wrote:
N3m3sis wrote:yah, but not to the extent that any real money is being made, and they wouldn't have ot worry about that anyway because the SDK would be in english, and it's not like it's going to be distributed to everyone all over the internet...
that makes no sense. think about it. how would you feel if you were one of 5 japanese game companies that was sticking with the dreamcast and actually still making games, and all of a sudden sega says that in the US/EU there are no licensing fees?

Unless you mean release the development kit to anyone who wants to buy it, and they still have to pass the licensing requirements and all to get a game officially put out. This basically would make no difference as anyone who would know enough to make a game that would merit using the official dev kit would just use KOS instead for free, and since it would still cost, we wouldn't be able to integrate info from it into kos.

Basically it doesn't make sense for sega to release it here for free when there are companies elsewhere still paying to put out games, and it doesn't make sense for them to put it out for purchase because it wouldn't be used.
I'm not saying to get games officially released, i'm saying for better homebrew....and i'm not saying to make the SDK readally available to the public, but just to let those who request it buy it....nothing would be free...
drybed wrote:dreamcast is dead people, work on the xbox, that needs more work
....you....are and idiot....
Feel it, Don't think
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

get off this site.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

The Dreamcast is very much alive, and it will be as long as groups of people, like this site, continue to make games, apps, mods and such for it.....so really, like Tyne said, just leave before there is some face-eating....
Feel it, Don't think
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

If it would still cost then how would that make anything better? You do realize the way they work is that when you use it if you want to release something you also have to pay right? If the argument is that kos is incapable of good 3d, so by doing this we could get some awsome 3d homebrew, then you just don't know why we don't have 3d homebrew.

Nobody (save maybe 4 homebrewers) that do dreamcast homebrew know how to or want to do 3d homebrews.

KOS already has most all of the functionality that the katana kits had, and if we had people to do it, homebrew games which look like commercial 3d games could be made.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

i'd certainly like to do it, people just have no motivation these days.....where can i get KOS? i'll see what i can do with it, and compare it to real SDK's i've used....i haven't programmed for a console (i have for computers), but now seems a good enough time to start...i have another project going on though, which is sucking up a lot of my time....but will be worth it in the end...

*Edit* nevermind, i got it....
Feel it, Don't think
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Why? Because it sucks balls?

Dude, go crawl somewhere and die, you mindless Microsoft fanboy. Actually, just get the hell off of a Dreamcast homebrew forum.

btw, I eat fanboys for breakfast. :twisted:

Back on subject. What the scene could use more than anything is some publicity. Not too long ago I tried to get Dreamcast.com for us, but some asswipe got it to resell for like $5,000. I'm sure if Sega said something, it would make quite a difference.