Should the Dreamcast Scene do something?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by GyroVorbis »

Amazing DC homebrew games.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dreamcast4life »

GyroVorbis wrote:Amazing DC homebrew games.
agreed. not clones of games that happend 25 years ago. they lack the energy that I believe is needed to feel like playing the game more then once. I made a sbi disc of homebrew games on it and I played it once I can't play it again.

I am sure if we had new,original and just flat out better games like a good platformer,a shooter or something. I would like the game like "G-type" made on the DC but instead using the same style graphics,a good artist could make some polys and maybe make it look and feel like something THAT IS DC.

I am not making fun of anyone for their efforts and I cannot code so I know some comments are going to me towards me. Many people have moved on due to Xbox Windows like interface which = easy programming. I don't plan on moving on to Xbox but I can say I am jealous of what it can run on a TV.

I notice the community getting smaller and smaller here,I only see a few posts. I remember when my buddy down the street and I came on here and there were lots of people. its a sad thing to see this sort of thing happen. I will be here until the scene dies. Gaming or not. well I am done blabbing :-P
Have you played dreamcast today?
JS Lemming
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by JS Lemming »

:cry:

Maybe if I ever get my multiple unfinished projects... finished; maybe it will help a little. Does the title "Chainsaw Rally 5" sound entertaining? I'm also working on a program that will make sprite creation and animation a breeze via skeletons.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

I am not forcing anyone to do anything, I was just letting an opinion on how I feel towards the scene, if you can't finish a project its cool Live life to its fullest. I would love to see more projects done but if not, oh well.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

This only quickens my pace at getting accustomed to the dev interface that was posted in the dev forum. I just hope the scene doesn't die too soon.

I think that the site does need revamping, though. Either that or take it down and have it link to other sites that actually have working links.
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Savant wrote:This only quickens my pace at getting accustomed to the dev interface that was posted in the dev forum. I just hope the scene doesn't die too soon.

I think that the site does need revamping, though. Either that or take it down and have it link to other sites that actually have working links.
I agree with you on the site thing, its about as bad as zophar.net if not worse.
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised to find full fledged 3D, near commercial quality hombrews in the not so distant future... i would pay attention to these boards in the coming months ;)
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I would be more surprised to have a site like that with no ads and a nice interface, but meh.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Lets not go too emo.

You don't realize how thriving the scene is. Just because people don't post doesn't mean they aren't devving...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

GyroVorbis wrote:Lets not go too emo.

You don't realize how thriving the scene is. Just because people don't post doesn't mean they aren't devving...
here here.

also, there have been a suprising amount of high quality homebrews coming from the french scene lately =)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Les Fran?ais sont dou?s. Je veux donner naissance ? leurs enfants.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Quzar wrote:
GyroVorbis wrote:Lets not go too emo.

here here.

also, there have been a suprising amount of high quality homebrews coming from the french scene lately =)
Yeah, you're a good example.

You don't see them post, but I see like Quzar - Probably Programming sign onto MSN every hour, Tvspelsfreak is always coding away at something, and I'm always at least trying to do a bit every day...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

haha, then again... my msn just says that always and it's on my laptop, which gets disconnected from the internet a lot due to it's wireless connection...

I do dev a lot though!! Just today i ported a game =P (no more info on that, it's secret!)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

I *attempt* to code....
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

GODAMNIT JUST RELEASE YOUR UBER-LEET CODE ALREADY!

lols.

But seriously, I hear a lot from many fronts but no releases. Last year it was NesterDC SE (iminent release, most likely in next two months), and what will it be this year? Viva la Samba? Or will someone else procrastinate?

I am not trying to bash you guys, but there is the proclaiming of stuff that never happens. Just release it for those who are less impatient. Or don't mention it until release, Quzar. No need to build it up. When you release, we will all proclaim the second coming of christ, but if you just feed us nonsense and try to build up suspense, it turns out to be another year 2000. Sheesh.

/rant

coming from someone who hasn't coded a full program in a couple years, lol.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

:lol:

I just got my driver's license and I had to lose my driver's virginity this weekend. I can't say that I got too much done on Viva.

The problem is that I really feel like I can do something quickly, but when I actually sit down and do it I realize "damn, this is actually really involved." So it takes a lot longer than I say it will...

But yeah, I'm trying to hurry up with Viva. I'm gonna get 'er done some day now...
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I have never talked about anything on a public forum in a manner to say that it was definite without doing so PERIOD. The only thing that could be taken that way was me saying that version 3.0 of NeoDC will have MVS play, but I made no garuntees as to it's release date at all. I may release a NeoDC 2.4 soon, because I have been working fervently on it, and in the course of 2 days doubled the speed. Nothing however will be released before November 10th.

I wasn't trying to build anything up, just point out that I AM devving, and that this long dry spell in terms of releases doesn't mean that I'm not working (even though for quite some time I had stopped due to other problems, which I've discussed here before).
Syd
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Syd »

I agree. There's nothing wrong with a devver giving an update every now and then about a project. If anything we should be thanking them for the fact that they are keeping us in the loop. There are many devvers (DreamSNES is a good example) that keep everyone in the dark, which is still alright. They don't owe us a damn thing, they can give us as much or as little info as they want. We didn't sign a contract with them, so they don't have hard deadlines to meet with us, which is a good thing about this scene because it's more laid back. Who knows, I may give DC coding a go someday, if I ever crawl my way out of the code I have to work with at my job! :lol:
"and if your kids don't obey you, you can always beat them with a sack of Valencia oranges. They don't leaves bruises and your kids will always know who's boss."
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

It's mostly school here. Programming is really the type of thing that requires 100% full attention (especially DC Devving). In lots of cases, I just can't dedicate that much time. But on the weekends its like "OMG GO GRAB A BAJILLION ENERGY DRINKS AND STAY UP AS LATE AS POSSIBLE PROGRAMMING!"

By the way, I'm just curious, but did Sega ever email anybody back?
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

nope, i never got a return email...not even a generic one, lol
Feel it, Don't think