Cheaper PS3 Will Lack Wireless Controllers

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Cheaper PS3 Will Lack Wireless Controllers

Post by pixel »

GameRadar wrote: Sony has today cleared up the confusion over the differences in specification between the two models of PlayStation 3 - and the cheaper version won't support wireless controllers.

As announced by the company on Monday, two versions of PS3 will be available at launch - one with a 60GB hard drive, and a less pricy model that features a 20GB hard drive. However, what the company didn't mention at the time is that the 20GB machine also lacks a number of key features that are included as standard in the more expensive model.

The 20GB console won't include an HDMI output, which means that it won't be able to deliver high definition pictures. But perhaps more disappointing is that wireless bluetooth controllers won't be supported; instead, gamers will have to make do with retro-style wired-up versions of the increasingly controversial PS3 pad.
They're not making the PS3 easy to stand up for.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by MulletMan13 »

OUCH!

(sorry im drunk right now :D)
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Wow...

I wasn't interested in the PS3 before, so this has no influence on me purchasing it. But what about the sony fans out there that aren't up for paying the ridiculous price of the more expensive model?

I know the core Xbox 360 was kinda worthless, but this seems like it's even more worthless. :lol: Atleast the only draw back of the core 360 was the HDD, which could be added at a cost. It still did HD, again at a cost for the cables, and you could still get wireless controllers for it.

I'm wonderring if the PS3 will be the end of Sony's consoles? Probably not, but E3 this year has hardly done anything good for them. Except maybe MGS4 which does look alright, but I've never been a huge fan of the franchise anyway.

Reading at megagames apparently a Microsoft rep (can't remember who or what their position was, etc.) said you could purchase a 360 and a Wii for the same cost as a PS3, surely that would be an incentive NOT to buy a PS3. 2 consoles for the price of 1. The 360 for the graphics whores and Live lovers and the Wii for the innovative gaming style, not to mention the classics downloads.

I look forward to the next year or two in gaming, that's for sure!
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Predictions on another forum I go on is that everyone will get a Wii60. Since, then you can have the HD sequels and the fun Ninty console.

I would like to play GT3 though, maybe Forza 2 will be better (If they put a ridiculous amount of cars in i'll be happy)
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

PEople will pay it, the idiots who bought xbox 360's on ebay for 1 grand proved that you can inflate the cost of a console and people will still purchase it.

Sony could release it at 1 grand and probably still have plenty of people buy it. There is a lot of people who have spoilt kids and they will do anything to get there kid the game system they want for the holidays even if it means going into debt.

As for me Sony can keep there console. I plan to buy a Wii, although in no way for the new controller (I think it looks like a pain to use, but who knows at this point). I probaably will get a 360 down the road when they knock about $100 off the price and include a free game with it.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Skynet wrote: Reading at megagames apparently a Microsoft rep (can't remember who or what their position was, etc.) said you could purchase a 360 and a Wii for the same cost as a PS3
It was Peter Moore using his usual dishonest spin tactics. :roll:

As far as I can tell, the 'retard' PS3 package is going to be analogous to a premium 360, not the core pack - except it will cost $100 more for added BluRay.
Also if you fancy upgrading your PS3 HDD, its using standard ATA drives - unlike the 360. the only 'longterm' problem with the tardPS3s future proofing is the lack of HDMI slot, and thats only a problem if movie companies insist on using HDCP for movies.

Although obviously MS are spinning the tard360 as being similar to the tardPS3, when they are clearly not.

EDIT: although that article is unclear whether wireless controllers will be /entirely/ unsupported, or if you are going to be required to later purchase a generic bluetooth dongle to add functionality.
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Skynet wrote: Reading at megagames apparently a Microsoft rep (can't remember who or what their position was, etc.) said you could purchase a 360 and a Wii for the same cost as a PS3
It was Peter Moore using his usual dishonest spin tactics. :roll:

As far as I can tell, the 'retard' PS3 package is going to be analogous to a premium 360, not the core pack - except it will cost $100 more for added BluRay.
Also if you fancy upgrading your PS3 HDD, its using standard ATA drives - unlike the 360. the only 'longterm' problem with the tardPS3s future proofing is the lack of HDMI slot, and thats only a problem if movie companies insist on using HDCP for movies.

Although obviously MS are spinning the tard360 as being similar to the tardPS3, when they are clearly not.

EDIT: although that article is unclear whether wireless controllers will be /entirely/ unsupported, or if you are going to be required to later purchase a generic bluetooth dongle to add functionality.
oh come on... the tardps3 the same as the prem 360?

on the hdd bit by the way, im sure sony is gonna love people opening up their machine voiding their warranty because they ran out of disk space

and the 360 uses a laptop sized Sata drive, which can be replaced too
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Meh. We all knew the PS3 was going to be craptastic at launch anyway. I'm leaving it until a 50% price drop then I'll pick it up for the Japanese support.
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

It was Peter Moore using his usual dishonest spin tactics.
Yeah I found that out not too long ago while at some other site. :|
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Skynet wrote:
It was Peter Moore using his usual dishonest spin tactics.
Yeah I found that out not too long ago while at some other site. :|
how is it really dishonest. the core 360 is only $300 leaving $200-$300 for the price of a wii. and depending on how large a price cut happens by the time the ps3 is released those same numbers could apply to the premium system as well.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Disheveled DrFreeze wrote: oh come on... the tardps3 the same as the prem 360?
How are they not directly comparable?

Backwards compatibility:
360 core: no*
360 premium: Yes, but only on selected titles
PS3 'base': Yes
PS3 'premium': Yes

Online access:
360 'core': no*
360 'premium': Yes, but limited access without Gold Live subscription
PS3 'base': Yes
PS3 'premium': Yes

On board memory:
360 'core': no*
360 'premium': Yes, 20Gb
PS3 'base': Yes, 20Gb
PS3 'premium': Yes, 60Gb

WiFi Capable:
360 'core': no**
360 'premium': no**
PS3 'base': no**
PS3 'premium': yes

HD Output
360 'core': no (HD component cables available seperately)
360 'premium': Yes (HD compoennt with machne, HDMI cable available seperately)
PS3 'base': Yes, to 1080 (via component)
PS3 'premium': Yes (via HDMI)

HD Media Playback:
360 'core': no***
360 'premium': no***
PS3 'base': Yes, Blu-ray
PS3 'premium': Yes, Blu-ray

MMC compatibility (including SD card / MemoryStick etc):
360 'core': no****
360 'premium': no****
PS3 'base': no****
PS3 'premium': yes

* = capable only after purchasing additonal HDD / memory unit
** = capable with purchase of WiFi adapter
*** = capable with purchase of additonal HD-DVD drive
**** = yes, with purchase of USB hardware

I'd say its pretty clear that the *premium* PS3 is aimed as a multimedia centre primarily, with games capability as a secondary focus, as opposed to the 'core' 360 which is an actually /crippled/ games machine with many of its features entirely unavailable without additonal purchase.

Which is why comparing the 'core' 360 with a 'base' PS3 is unfair in terms of functionality; comparing the 'premium' 360 with the 'base' PS3 is much closer in terms of capability, except the 'base' PS3 offers Blu-Ray playback at a $100 premium.

Which is why you don't see MS doing that.
Disheveled DrFreeze wrote: on the hdd bit by the way, im sure sony is gonna love people opening up their machine voiding their warranty because they ran out of disk space

and the 360 uses a laptop sized Sata drive, which can be replaced too
Using a non MS authorised drive does void your warranty. Sony however:
Phil Harrison: If you want to put all your music on your hard disc drive, you'll probably go for the 60GB version. If you're a complete music fan and video fan, and you want to have huge amounts of digital content, then you can upgrade to whatever size of drive you like. You can put any in that you like - it is a computer, after all.

Eurogamer: So that hard drive is a standard PC drive?

Phil Harrison: ATA, bog standard, yeah.

Eurogamer: You're not going to be selling Sony drive upgrades?

Phil Harrison: We've got no plan to. We may offer something, but we have no plan to at the moment.
Source.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

BlueTooth is such a shady technology that should have been eliminated long ago. It was one of the first computer related wireless protocols and despite it's updates, it still is the red-headed step child of the radiowave spectrum.
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I think Bluetooth is much 'larger' in Europe and Japan, given the greater impact mobile phones have had in these areas.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

i like bluetooth. but once again i must ask nyar how Peter Moores Statement is dishonest?
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Covar wrote:i like bluetooth. but once again i must ask nyar how Peter Moores Statement is dishonest?
I wrote: I'd say its pretty clear that the *premium* PS3 is aimed as a multimedia centre primarily, with games capability as a secondary focus, as opposed to the 'core' 360 which is an actually /crippled/ games machine with many of its features entirely unavailable without additonal purchase.

Which is why comparing the 'core' 360 with a 'base' PS3 is unfair in terms of functionality; comparing the 'premium' 360 with the 'base' PS3 is much closer in terms of capability, except the 'base' PS3 offers Blu-Ray playback at a $100 premium.
A few days ago he was talking about looking at the PS3, and asking if people would be looking at it saying "Wow, thats $300 better graphics" - then obviously stopped when he realised just how laughable it is to compare a tard360 with a blingPS3.

Now he's trying to directly compare the bling360 with the blingPS3, which is just not an equitable comparison.

It's also pretty funny how he's trying to spin 'NINTENDO + MS FTW!' given that Sony and MS are the only ones playing 'bigger-dick' syndrome this gen as Nintendo are going for an entirely different demographic as their 'core', which is presumably why he feels he can try and hustle people to buy a Wii.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Peter Moore wrote:People are going to buy two [machines]. They're going to buy an Xbox and they're going to buy a Wii ... for the price of one PS3.
pretty feasible statement if you ask me.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

To me, that article clearly says that it won't support wireless controllers at all. With the lack of an HDMI port, also, this is worse than the Core 360. At least with the Core, you can update everything as you see fit. Sure, it's a waste of money, but the option is there if you want it. With the "Core" PS3, you can't add the Wireless Controllers, or HDMI port.

It's weird, though. The Wii includes SD memory slots, Wireless controllers, and Wireless internet, and all these features were stripped for the more expensive PS3. They couldn't cost that much to manufacture.
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

atf487 wrote:To me, that article clearly says that it won't support wireless controllers at all. With the lack of an HDMI port, also, this is worse than the Core 360. At least with the Core, you can update everything as you see fit. Sure, it's a waste of money, but the option is there if you want it. With the "Core" PS3, you can't add the Wireless Controllers, or HDMI port.

It's weird, though. The Wii includes SD memory slots, Wireless controllers, and Wireless internet, and all these features were stripped for the more expensive PS3. They couldn't cost that much to manufacture.
WiFi chips are VERY cheap to produce, and memory card slot/interface is super simple. The reason isn't cost, it's more than likely to urge people to buy the $600 system. There will be 5% low end systems and 95% high end... so when people walk into the store and see the higher end one they will wonder what the difference is. With all of those differences, people will think its such a good deal to go with more expensive one -- which will cut Sony's losses by about $90 per system.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

MulletMan13 wrote:
atf487 wrote:To me, that article clearly says that it won't support wireless controllers at all. With the lack of an HDMI port, also, this is worse than the Core 360. At least with the Core, you can update everything as you see fit. Sure, it's a waste of money, but the option is there if you want it. With the "Core" PS3, you can't add the Wireless Controllers, or HDMI port.

WiFi chips are VERY cheap to produce, and memory card slot/interface is super simple. The reason isn't cost, it's more than likely to urge people to buy the $600 system. There will be 5% low end systems and 95% high end... so when people walk into the store and see the higher end one they will wonder what the difference is. With all of those differences, people will think its such a good deal to go with more expensive one -- which will cut Sony's losses by about $90 per system.
Yeah, this is what I was thinking. They are purposely crippling the functionality of the Core to encourage Premium sales.

Actually, this brings up another point. Does anyone actually like having 2 SKUs? It seems like a terrible idea. If the 360 came with one wireless controller, HD, and the necessary AV cables, they could've charged something like, oh say, 360.00 for the console and it would've been better. The 2 SKUs mean that not everyone can have a hard drive and it's a step backwards. With the PS3, it's not as bad since both have hard drives, but to have a crippled box at 500 dollars is pretty fucking awful.