Sony: PS3 will replace computers, controller not copied

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Sony: PS3 will replace computers, controller not copied

Post by |darc| »

Phil Harrison, Sony?s increasingly high profile president of SCE Worldwide Studios, has given an interview to German magazine Der Spiegel, as translated by consumer website GameSpot, in which he has again discusses the concept of the PlayStation 3 as a computer, and vigorously denied that the PlayStation 3?s new motion sensing controller was influenced by Nintendo?s Wii console.

Harrison suggested that the use of the Linux operation system, hard drive and the Cell processor would lessen the importance of the PC as a home media center. ?We believe that the PS3 will be the place where our users play games, watch films, browse the Web, and use other computer functions. The PlayStation 3 is a computer. We do not need the PC,? claimed Harrison.

These remarks tie in with previous comments from Sony executive Izumi Kawanishi, who illuminated some of his company's PlayStation 3 Linux plans, indicating that it will be possible for individual 'homebrew' coders to create playable content for PS3, something actively blocked for Sony's PSP handheld.

In addition, when the PS3/Wii controller comparisons were brought up, Harrison is quoted as saying: "In a certain way, I understand why people would say such things, but it is stupid, if you'll forgive me saying so." He continued: "We have already worked on it a long time, and Nintendo almost certainly has done likewise with something similar. It is perfectly naturally for two companies to work on identical devices. It's like that with technology."

These latter comments continue a reasonably contentious period leading up to the launch of the remaining two next-gen consoles - Nintendo UK's David Yarnton previously accused Sony of copying key concepts from the Wii controller, suggesting: "I?d love to dig up some old Phil Harrison comments and say ?hang on a second ? six months ago when we launched our controller you said one thing, and now why are you doing this??".

Yarnton also quipped: "I don?t know what [Sony's] decision making process is but I think if you look back, any innovation that has come in gameplay has come from us", a relatively strong statement from a representative of the generally understated Nintendo, thus apparently requiring Harrison and Sony to explain their motivations further.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_i ... story=9547

:guffaw:
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

as usual sony is full of it

the pc can not be replaced by a console in the style of the ps3, it lacks functions and it isnt customizable enough

and the ps3 con not copied of the wii? riiiiight my money is still on that after E3 05 sony went all "omigosh they dont like the battarang whatever shall we do?* on themselves, and just went all over the place with redesigns, and along the way were impressed when nintendo unvailed the wii-mote
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Re: Sony: PS3 will replace computers, controller not copied

Post by sixteen-bit »

Linux, home media center with games, movies and internets. Hang on didn't they say this about the PS2? :dozey:
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

Sony is worth nothing more than laughs these days. :lol:
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

ok.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Oh dear. Even I cant defend them with those statements.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

As I understand it, his quotes have been mistranslated by running the interview through babelfish rather than, you know, getting someone who is fluent in German to translate the interview.

Expect follow up stories clarifying his statements tomorrow.
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Darcus Magnus wrote: In addition, when the PS3/Wii controller comparisons were brought up, Harrison is quoted as saying: "In a certain way, I understand why people would say such things, but it is stupid, if you'll forgive me saying so." He continued: "We have already worked on it a long time, and Nintendo almost certainly has done likewise with something similar. It is perfectly naturally for two companies to work on identical devices. It's like that with technology."
You know, I would have been fine and accepted this.....

if Sony didn't add the functionality three weeks before E3 after Wii's ability was well known.

If motion sensing had been in there since the boomerang controller, then that would have been fine, but it was a last minute addition added hastily.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Playstation piracy ahoy with it if someone compiles a linux ePSXe to run on it, assuming you need to do something a little differant for the hardware in it, if not then straight from the box dodgyness under emulation. Could bite Sony in the arse.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Ifi t's anything like Sony's previous homebrew kits, access to mass storage (especially the optical drive) will be crippled.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

sixteen-bit wrote:Linux, home media center with games, movies and internets.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

impetus wrote:
sixteen-bit wrote:Linux, home media center with games, movies and internets.
:lol:

How arrogant can Sony get?
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

Most people have PCs why the hell would they want the PS3 if thats now a PC?

Fact is Sony realizes they screwed up and are trying to hide that fact. I don't see how anyone can support Sony nowadays.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

I don't see how anyone can support Sony nowadays.
It's easy. People buy it, play it, and enjoy it. Just like any other system.
Last edited by Eckostyle on Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

Ceeg wrote:Most people have PCs why the hell would they want the PS3 if thats now a PC?

Fact is Sony realizes they screwed up and are trying to hide that fact. I don't see how anyone can support Sony nowadays.
Yeah but Sony Playstation 3 can also play ps3 and 2 games plus bluray movies. That's how they getcha.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
Ceeg
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Ceeg »

blu ray=meh big deal.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Blu-Ray would have been hotter in a generaton or two.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Pyrite wrote:
Ceeg wrote:Most people have PCs why the hell would they want the PS3 if thats now a PC?

Yeah but Sony Playstation 3 can also play ps3 and 2 games plus bluray movies. That's how they getcha.
Have they mentioned if the PS3 can play PS1 games? I haven't heard anything, but assumed as such.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Sorry to bump this, but I found another bit of interesting 'news' that really, really doesn't help Sony's argument towards the motion sensing controller:
Sony Europe executive Phil Harrison wrote:"In a way I understand why people say [we copied Nintendo], but it is a little stupid, if you forgive the phrase. When we brought the PlayStation to the market in 1994, we introduced real-time 3D graphics for the first time. When Nintendo launched its N64 in 1996 it also had 3D graphics, did we say, "Nintendo stole our idea?" Of course not. Such innovations become possible because of a combination of technology, cost and manufacture capacities."

"...all games will use the motion sensor somehow. If you play a platform or soccer game now, you will move the controller. Now for the first time we can use both the primary input, executed by the analog sticks, and at the same time use the movements that the player makes as a secondary input. That is an important advantage, which only the PlayStation controller has."
I honestly have nothing to add to the hilarity of this. The argument does a fine job destroying itself.