no .Pak files in my quake 1

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
jcilpi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

no .Pak files in my quake 1

Post by jcilpi »

I own the c version of quake and when I open my Id1 fiel there is no .pak file in the folder. just a bunch of other files and some folders what's the prob? Is there anyway around this? :cry:
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Well Quake wont run without the .pak files on PC or Dreamcast as they are the complete structure of the game. However if you have lots of files in the ID1 folder (like .dem files, a folder names progs, a folder named maps etc.) then you may have to put the .pak files together yourself. Its really easy to do, just get Pak explorer from here
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

yeah boney is right. m buddy had the same problem. just use the pak explorer, make the paks and youre good to go!

-dreamer
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Same problem here..

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Lilmuckers even made a list of where what goes for me..problem is, it still won't work...any other suggestions ?
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

im not quite sure how to fix your problem... but email me cuz i have an idea that should probably work... it is a bit complex tho.

email: keith__86@hotmail.com

-dreamer
FrikaC
QuakeC Buddha
QuakeC Buddha

Post by FrikaC »

Quake was never distributed without the files in a pak, so likely you got an illegal copy where the ripper probably used a primitive tool like adunpack on the pak files, ripped bits out to make it smaller than uploaded it to the internet. I strongly suggest getting a legal copy of the game.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Nope, Mine's legit.
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

I must admit I find this very puzzling; I know many, many people, both through the net and in "real" life who own a legit version of retail quake and I have bought (due to my poor care of cds) 3 copies of it myself and not one person I know and respect have had a copy that did not install quake complete with the game files in .pak format.

Yet a number of people here claim that their version is legit and does not.... I also find it puzzling that Id would make copies of it that did that.

My only thought is people maybe bought non-legit versions in good faith, believing them to be 'real'.

Otherwise, and most realistically, it's complete hogwash.

If you've got a strange and unbelievable copy, do the decent thing and go buy a real one, I've linked before to ebay auctions where you can get hold of it for $3 or ?4, whatever should be cheap enough for most people. We're lucky enough to be 'getting' the dc version for free, we should at least have the decency to buy a legit pc one.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

It seems a little strange that files would get ripped out of it when the game is only 20 something MB in size...
FrikaC
QuakeC Buddha
QuakeC Buddha

Post by FrikaC »

Back when the first warez copies of the game were made, 20 megs in size was pretty enourmous. I remember groaning about how the Quake demo was an unbelievable 9 megs as a matter of fact. At the time I was on a 33.6 though.
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Alright..borrowed a friend's Quake CD..copied the PAKS to the ID folder, opened self boot buddy burned...coaster.

IP.BIN troubles perhaps ?
Pinoy2201
DCEmu's Selfboot Guy
DCEmu's Selfboot Guy

Post by Pinoy2201 »

Yes. i have trouble with QuakeDC's IP.BIN so i use DCDivX IP.BIN......you can download Ulitmate Boot Disc v1.1 i have included a IP.BIN in that package u can download at the needed tools section
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Anyone else ? (Who does not use "u" for a word... -_- )
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

DSSBS in the needed tools would work fine too... you can leave out the IP.BIN completely since bin2boot (in the package) will make its own if it doesnt find one.

When selfboot buddy had its own site it did have a 'replacement' IP.BIN for QuakeDC on there. I know the distribution here on DCemu has never been updated so it probibly has the IP.BIN that was being replaced. Truthfully... I dont know what IP.BIN is in the package on http://quakedev.dcemulation.org :oops:

I always use Bin2boot methods to selfboot... so it'd fix an impropper IP.BIN automaticly...
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Pinoy2201
DCEmu's Selfboot Guy
DCEmu's Selfboot Guy

Post by Pinoy2201 »

EvilN wrote:Anyone else ? (Who does not use "u" for a word... -_- )
EvilN may i kno why usein U is so bad i mean its just a faster way of typing you....and i was tryin to help u out
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Pinoy:"U" makes people look like AOLers..some people look down on those that use U for a word.

TheDumbass:Tried Bin2boot's method, deleted the IP.BIN, new coaster..I had the ip.bin from SBB's website, so I replaced that then tried Bin2boot.Failure.Any other suggestions ?

Edit:Thanks to both of you.
Pinoy2201
DCEmu's Selfboot Guy
DCEmu's Selfboot Guy

Post by Pinoy2201 »

well i dont use AOL so..well i just use the word cuse it faster to type for me....welll i suggest u use a Emulators ip.bin dat werks...i used DcDivX and it werks...an allso my program uses Bin2Boot and i programed it too hacked the ip.bin to 1st_read.bin so it will always werk...so please try that method u only need to press a button and ur ready to go
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by 999 »

This is probably covered elsewhere, but quickly, to make your DC Quake a full version, just look for the POP.LMP file in pak1's GFX directory. This simple file sets the switch for a full version or not within the Shareware executable.

Not sure if QuakeDC works the same, but you don't even need to keep the files in paks, Quake will search it's ID1 directory for the files it needs, in pak or not. Keeping the same pak file folder structure will allow you to easily mix and match your maps/mods and pop.lmp file without the need of pakexplorer.

Pinoy: Your posts are just too hard to read. I'm 28 and therefore not cool anymore, thus making your lingo that much harder to read.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

Unfortunately quakedc requires that you have everything in pak files. Its weird... but it does.

For some reason when people complain about this... and create their own paks from the raw files... they normally dont work. :? I dont know why this is since I've completely unpaked my files and repacked them without problems.

I still dont understand where people are getting these pakless distributions... From everyone credible that Ive asked there has never been a full version of quake sold without pak files.

Oh... and if being 28 makes you uncool then I havent got too many more years left. Though at 25 I feel that a lot of my coolness has already left me. :(
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by 999 »

You're right, Quake is not sold pakless, as the EXE is useless without pak0.pak. If ever anyone mentions that their Quake is Pakless, perhaps the rule of thumb should be to ask if they have show all files set in their folder view options. Additionally, having extensions being shown rather than hidden is another remedy.

It's ashame about the pak files. I don't like to work with them myself, but like you, I use an Id pak file as my base before I start "customizing" it.

I'm going to have a go burning the old mods I have, along with the low poly maps I've made. Got some blanks ^^

>>OT<<
You're not uncool at 28 to people your own age, however to the teenies out there, yep, you're uncool.