Has the recession hit you?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Has the recession hit you?

Post by SuperMegatron »

Wagh wrote:
This would be a sad story but it isn't. Circuit City was consistently over priced. The staff was almost always useless. Same story as CompUSA a few years ago. Fuckem.
Its a sad day here in Richmond, they started as wards tv here. I think they are the only big national chain to be headquartered in richmond.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Today was a very strange day for me. The school board has a finance meeting this Wednesday, so I spent all morning working on our department's budget proposal for next year. And basically, after working with the figures this morning and finding no other conscientious solution, I had to go to my boss and recommend that she eliminate my job. For reasons that are probably too complicated to hold anyone's interest here, it's the only way I could see to make the department solvent next year without completely disrupting everything we do.

So yeah. I should be okay until June (this is the 2009-2010 school year's budget we're talking about, after all), but I more or less laid myself off this morning.

Has anyone else here ever had to do something like this? Found yourself in a position where the only responsible thing to do is to recommend a reduction or elimination of your own job?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

If anyone actually cares for the particulars:
IM from earlier wrote:(15:19:31) DaMadFiddler: well, it really was the only solution
(15:19:39) DaMadFiddler: we pretty much trimmed all the fat going into *this* year
(15:20:14) DaMadFiddler: we can't cut our supplies budget any more, because we've got it down to just enough to afford the student tests we are legally required to give
(15:20:21) DaMadFiddler: and the department is small
(15:21:17) DaMadFiddler: there's the director in charge, her assistant (me), our testing coordinator, a part-time professional development (teacher training) coordinator, a part-time math coordinator, and a couple of part-time art and music teachers
(15:21:25) DaMadFiddler: we legally cannot cut the testing
(15:21:42) DaMadFiddler: and, my job is a union job, which means there's seniority.
(15:22:07) DaMadFiddler: the math coordinator is a teaching position; he's fixed in it. Same with the PD coordinator, and the art and music teachers.
(15:22:39) DaMadFiddler: reducing the testing coordinator will wreak absolute havoc on the department's ability to get anything done on time
(15:23:22) DaMadFiddler: and secretarial positions...well, there are going to be lots of secretaries getting cut. So even if I don't get cut at all, someone who's been here longer (and thus has a higher salary, and costs a lot more) will probably bump me out of the job because of the seniority system
(15:23:49) DaMadFiddler: so even if we cut the hours for the department secretary, it would probably end up costing us MORE than it does now, because there'll be someone more expensive in it
(15:24:04) DaMadFiddler: and we have to reduce our budget by $40,000 for next year
(15:24:34) DaMadFiddler: the ONLY surefire way to do that, without doing anything illegal or losing teachers, is to completely eliminate my job.
(15:25:03) DaMadFiddler: and that's basically what I had to explain to my boss today
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

DaMadFiddler wrote:If anyone actually cares for the particulars:
IM from earlier wrote:(15:19:31) DaMadFiddler: well, it really was the only solution
(15:19:39) DaMadFiddler: we pretty much trimmed all the fat going into *this* year
(15:20:14) DaMadFiddler: we can't cut our supplies budget any more, because we've got it down to just enough to afford the student tests we are legally required to give
(15:20:21) DaMadFiddler: and the department is small
(15:21:17) DaMadFiddler: there's the director in charge, her assistant (me), our testing coordinator, a part-time professional development (teacher training) coordinator, a part-time math coordinator, and a couple of part-time art and music teachers
(15:21:25) DaMadFiddler: we legally cannot cut the testing
(15:21:42) DaMadFiddler: and, my job is a union job, which means there's seniority.
(15:22:07) DaMadFiddler: the math coordinator is a teaching position; he's fixed in it. Same with the PD coordinator, and the art and music teachers.
(15:22:39) DaMadFiddler: reducing the testing coordinator will wreak absolute havoc on the department's ability to get anything done on time
(15:23:22) DaMadFiddler: and secretarial positions...well, there are going to be lots of secretaries getting cut. So even if I don't get cut at all, someone who's been here longer (and thus has a higher salary, and costs a lot more) will probably bump me out of the job because of the seniority system
(15:23:49) DaMadFiddler: so even if we cut the hours for the department secretary, it would probably end up costing us MORE than it does now, because there'll be someone more expensive in it
(15:24:04) DaMadFiddler: and we have to reduce our budget by $40,000 for next year
(15:24:34) DaMadFiddler: the ONLY surefire way to do that, without doing anything illegal or losing teachers, is to completely eliminate my job.
(15:25:03) DaMadFiddler: and that's basically what I had to explain to my boss today
That really sucks. I really can't imagine being in your shoes and having to come to that conclusion.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

My dad did this once, so you're not alone.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Today was a very strange day for me. The school board has a finance meeting this Wednesday, so I spent all morning working on our department's budget proposal for next year. And basically, after working with the figures this morning and finding no other conscientious solution, I had to go to my boss and recommend that she eliminate my job. For reasons that are probably too complicated to hold anyone's interest here, it's the only way I could see to make the department solvent next year without completely disrupting everything we do.

So yeah. I should be okay until June (this is the 2009-2010 school year's budget we're talking about, after all), but I more or less laid myself off this morning.

Has anyone else here ever had to do something like this? Found yourself in a position where the only responsible thing to do is to recommend a reduction or elimination of your own job?
I work at a public library, and haven't had to suggest my own job get cut, but I have said I think there are more of my position than is needed. The library cuts jobs by letting people quit and then not hiring replacements, though, and our library is in a wealthy area that gets tons of donations, so we can slide over budget cuts. On a side note, once again, I really don't understand why education gets cuts in a time of crisis, it's so incredibly short-sighted that it boggles my mind. It should be the sort of thing that is a shamed mark, and ends political careers, not a quick fix they can forget about.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Lartrak wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:Today was a very strange day for me. The school board has a finance meeting this Wednesday, so I spent all morning working on our department's budget proposal for next year. And basically, after working with the figures this morning and finding no other conscientious solution, I had to go to my boss and recommend that she eliminate my job. For reasons that are probably too complicated to hold anyone's interest here, it's the only way I could see to make the department solvent next year without completely disrupting everything we do.

I work at a public library, and haven't had to suggest my own job get cut, but I have said I think there are more of my position than is needed. The library cuts jobs by letting people quit and then not hiring replacements, though, and our library is in a wealthy area that gets tons of donations, so we can slide over budget cuts. On a side note, once again, I really don't understand why education gets cuts in a time of crisis, it's so incredibly short-sighted that it boggles my mind. It should be the sort of thing that is a shamed mark, and ends political careers, not a quick fix they can forget about.
i agree. it seems the 1st things they cut are educational stuff. how about cutting some welfare/social programs and other wasteful spending 1st.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

pavelbure wrote:i agree. it seems the 1st things they cut are educational stuff. how about cutting some welfare/social programs and other wasteful spending 1st.
I'm curious: if you found yourself laid off and out of work for an extended period, would you take advantage of the wasteful welfare/social programs? Or would you live off your savings and hope it's enough to see you through?
adventure_of_link
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by adventure_of_link »

Lartrak wrote:I work at a public library, and haven't had to suggest my own job get cut, but I have said I think there are more of my position than is needed. The library cuts jobs by letting people quit and then not hiring replacements, though, and our library is in a wealthy area that gets tons of donations, so we can slide over budget cuts.
Even though you two suggested to cut your own jobs and lay yourselves off, would you still get unemployment for it?
Lartrak wrote:On a side note, once again, I really don't understand why education gets cuts in a time of crisis, it's so incredibly short-sighted that it boggles my mind.
pavelbure wrote:i agree. it seems the 1st things they cut are educational stuff. how about cutting some welfare/social programs and other wasteful spending 1st.
Well, over in newport, KY your education jobs seem safe, they'd rather cut down on the classified stuff before they cut a teacher or something. I'm suprised MadFiddler and Lartrak didn't suggest this. :?
DaMadFiddler wrote:(15:23:22) DaMadFiddler: and secretarial positions...well, there are going to be lots of secretaries getting cut. So even if I don't get cut at all, someone who's been here longer (and thus has a higher salary, and costs a lot more) will probably bump me out of the job because of the seniority system
so much for admin. asst./secretary positions are recession proof jobs if they get cut eh :?

that being said, the recession hasn't hit my family yet, but give it time..
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Lartrak wrote:On a side note, once again, I really don't understand why education gets cuts in a time of crisis, it's so incredibly short-sighted that it boggles my mind. It should be the sort of thing that is a shamed mark, and ends political careers, not a quick fix they can forget about.
There's a cognitive bias toward preferring an immediate small payoff to a future large payoff. I suspect that it's amplified by some aspects of American culture.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

Roofus wrote:
I'm curious: if you found yourself laid off and out of work for an extended period, would you take advantage of the wasteful welfare/social programs? Or would you live off your savings and hope it's enough to see you through?
here's another option besides sitting on your ass, go find another job.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
Liberals click here !!!!
Roofus

Post by Roofus »

pavelbure wrote:
Roofus wrote:

Good idea, but it's not really what I asked, is it?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

pavelbure wrote:
Roofus wrote:
You don't really understand the concept of a recession, do you?
It's thinking...
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I work as a designer in an SEO firm, the industry has slowed down but isn't having the shitty time everyone else is at the moment. My job seems relatively safe right now but, of course, it'd be naive to assume we'll be totally unaffected. I've managed to massively cut my outgoings at home so stuff is reasonably comfortable really.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

pavelbure wrote:how about cutting some welfare/social programs and other wasteful spending 1st.
I love how you lump all social programs and welfare in with "wasteful spending." :roll: I suppose that if you lose your job, you won't be going to the unemployment office to collect and have them help you find a new job, huh?
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

melancholy wrote:Everyday I watch the design market around me shrink and it's giving me less hope of ever putting my degree to use. I've had two freelance jobs now that had me start a project only to have it canned days later due to not having the budget to pay me. I'm almost afraid to get a career now because I don't want my position to be eliminated shortly after starting on.
If you get a chance pick up a copy of this. I've only just read it recently, having already got a foot in the door of the industry, but I wish I'd found it earlier- it has lots of really practical advice on starting up in graphic design. What creative directors want to see in a portfolio, what they're interested in during an interview, how to approach studios, how to cope with a junior role, wether to apply for an in-house designer or design studio role, starting up freelance... Really, really awesome stuff.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

not just souLLy now wrote:
melancholy wrote:Everyday I watch the design market around me shrink and it's giving me less hope of ever putting my degree to use. I've had two freelance jobs now that had me start a project only to have it canned days later due to not having the budget to pay me. I'm almost afraid to get a career now because I don't want my position to be eliminated shortly after starting on.
If you get a chance pick up a copy of this. I've only just read it recently, having already got a foot in the door of the industry, but I wish I'd found it earlier- it has lots of really practical advice on starting up in graphic design. What creative directors want to see in a portfolio, what they're interested in during an interview, how to approach studios, how to cope with a junior role, wether to apply for an in-house designer or design studio role, starting up freelance... Really, really awesome stuff.
I'll give it a shot. Does it give good advice for freelance? I've got two jobs lined up with some people, and I'm not exactly sure what to charge yet. The first one doesn't start until the 16th, so I have some time to figure out pricing.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

|darc| wrote:
pavelbure wrote:
Roofus wrote:
You don't really understand the concept of a recession, do you?

apparently you people don't understand the concept of looking for a job.

b.t.w. roofus i would choose option 3 look for a job. i know this will be a shock to you, but there are jobs out there, maybe not what you would like to do, but i have no sympathy for you or anyone else bitching if you don't pursue other options.

what cuts would you guys like to see ?
Liberals click here !!!!
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

melancholy wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:
I'll give it a shot. Does it give good advice for freelance? I've got two jobs lined up with some people, and I'm not exactly sure what to charge yet. The first one doesn't start until the 16th, so I have some time to figure out pricing.
Not particularly what to charge, but things like handling clients, self promotion, the pros and cons of going freelance- practical stuff really. If you're keen on getting a studio/in-house design job it also has some great stuff on interview technique and how you can increase your chances of a creative director giving you a chance. There's two chapters on setting up a studio too and lots of the advice in there would apply to a one guy agency- the boring financial stuff, contracts etc.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

pavelbure wrote:apparently you people don't understand the concept of looking for a job.
Apparently you don't understand the concept of grocery stores, landlords, creditors et. al. still expecting to get paid while you're looking for a job.