Linux for Playstation 2 in US, UK and AU

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.

Will you buy a ps2 linux kit should they come out in your country?

Total votes: 0
la_eternal
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Linux for Playstation 2 in US, UK and AU

Post by la_eternal »

A friend of mine received this email recently and sent me a copy. I thought you guys might want to read it.

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 02:20:30 GMT
To: <------------------>
Subject: Linux (for PlayStation(R)2) Update

Many thanks for expressing your interest in Linux(for PlayStation 2) on
our website (http://www.technology.scee.net/).

We're happy to announce that Linux will be released in May in both the
USA (SCEA) and PAL territories (including Europe and Australia), with
full information and screenshots now to be found on our site.

In addition, a joint website for interested users has been set up at
http://playstation2-linux.com, which includes discussion and bulletin
boards.

Finally, although sales haven't yet started, if you send an e-mail with
the message "subscribe" to ps2linux-request@technology.scee.net we'll
let you know when pre-ordering starts.

Many thanks again,

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe
spag
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spag »

running linux on the dreamcast is a bit... well... stupid...

but maybe you could make your own games with it.

but it would be much slower than a real PC. i mean, there is a lot of power in the playstation... but you wouldn't notice it for everyday desktop use. :P
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Ok cmon stupid fanboys... NOW wheres your stupid comments "Xbox is just a pc".
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Dr Wily

Post by Dr Wily »

Jeeba Jabba wrote: Ok cmon stupid fanboys... NOW wheres your stupid comments "Xbox is just a pc".
dude... can't you see the brilliance in it? What should Sony use to take on MS? Use what the 'real' computing world is using to take on MS - Linux!

Potentially a great idea (well... better than that whole Yaroze deal anyway) but I dont like the sound of it running at a resolution you absolutely cannot view on a TV....
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Nyarl, I'm not dogging it at all and I think it's cool. I was just touching light on how the newbs say "XBOX IS A COMPUTER, PS2 IS A REAAAAL GAME SYSTEM" which brings us to this topic.

Where's Veggita2099 now?
or NoKy?
Damn White Text [Filter]
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Damn White Text [Filter] »

Yep, and bringing THAT up really puts you above fanboys :p
DAMN THAT WHITE TEXT!!!

IT HURTS MY EYES!!!!
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Damn White Text [Filter] wrote: Yep, and bringing THAT up really puts you above fanboys :p

Wtf are you talking about?
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I wouldn't take the time to burn it to a cd-r let alone pay for it.

Im like that guy from the song ALL OS SUCK..

Linux sucks, sorry but it just does
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Kami

Post by Kami »

well seeing as how you wont be able to burn cdrs and put them in there without modifying it, its fucking retarded. its more of a novelty thing. they can say its to bring linux to the masses but its more of a way for them to be able to say I can run linux on my ps2.... If I wanted anohter linux machine I'd make one for about 100. waaaay less than a ps2 and a linux kit. screw linux, screw ps2. I'm going back to watch family guy.
spag
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spag »

you can't use burned CDs with it? oh my god that is so pathetic.

there is no point to it at all... how do they expect people to actually transfer/use files? surely not with the broadband or modem adapter that it has? or... it doesn't have that yet does it?
Guizzy

why?

Post by Guizzy »

Linux sucks, sorry but it just does
That sounds like someone who's not able to install Linux and got all frustrated about it.

Linux, just like Windows, is a good OS. It's able to do what it's made for and is quite popular.

Windows is made for the average dude at home. It *can* be used by programmers/hackers/power users/servers, but it's not made for it. One should not say "Windoze sucks" just because it isn't transparent and customisable enough for his power user needs.

Linux is for power users. It *can* be used by the average dude at home, but it's not made for it. One should not say "Linux sucks, sorry but it just does" because it's not easy to set up and use.

Now where will I place the PS2 Linux... It won't be used by power users (what's the point of using Linux on a limited platform???), and it's not made for average computer use...
I guess it goes in the thrash!
If everyone on this planet went the same side and made push-ups, is that going to thrust the planet in space?

This post was graciously offered by Guizzy; Quebec's finest
TheUnSlinger
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

i like linux....

Post by TheUnSlinger »

I have linuxDC and it's kida fun. All my pc's have windows and linux on them and i just love to tinker with it. i also like playing around with other operating systems like *BSD, MenuetOS, SkyOS is kinda fun, QNX, and BeOS. All of them are fun to play around with. I would just LOVE linux for the PS2. I'd like to see it fer handhelds more tho. Especialy the first gen handhelds. about amonth after their release, they became obsolete. was one of the suckers to buy one. IF they have OS's on a floppy, why no on an old hpc? well i'm kinda getting off track there. BUt i would love to have it on ps2 or ps. Also, i can't get to runix's site. whats up with that?
Mr. Monkey eyed Rinoa. "Darn, how many times did your
parents hit you with the ugly stick?" he said. "You are ugly
with a capital U-G-L-Y. And you're fat and stupid, too. You
know what? YOU SUCK!"-Fritz Fraundorf
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Well, I say if there is a way to use apps fast on a ps2, then why not? I like linux. I tried it on my old comp(I gave it to my friend), and liked it a lot. It just had a habit of crashing the GUI. Just wondering though, is linuxDC useful? Its kind of hard to boot a system from a cd and have it fast. I want to find a way to get a hard drive through that serial cable. That would make it useful.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Jeeba Jabba wrote: Ok cmon stupid fanboys... NOW wheres your stupid comments "Xbox is just a pc".
Fanboy: "Man XBox sucks! It's just a PC 'cos it has a a hard drive and lan adapter"
Later on.. "PS2 hard drive and internet add-on will rule, it will be well worth the extra money sony will charge me for it".

I guess only a few people see the irony in all this ;-)

Aaanyway back on topic; until PS2 has a hard drive for use with Linux it might not be too useful since it will likely reject CDr discs you put in :|
How much was the Linux kit supposed to cost again??
Guizzy

Post by Guizzy »

It comes with a hard-drive; but it's not going to help a lot! If you want to enter stuff in it, you need to have either CD-Rs (with a modded PS2 and a computer) or Internet (not so many people have Internet without having a computer first); so why bother having a less functionnal OS working on a console if you already have a PC? It's simply illogical. At least, they are not charging for LinuxDC...

Oh, and btw... Aren't they obligated to give their distro? Isn't that like an obligation with Linux? Or are they only charging for the media, the programs and the HD?
If everyone on this planet went the same side and made push-ups, is that going to thrust the planet in space?

sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Guizzy wrote: It comes with a hard-drive; but it's not going to help a lot! If you want to enter stuff in it, you need to have either CD-Rs (with a modded PS2 and a computer) or Internet (not so many people have Internet without having a computer first); so why bother having a less functionnal OS working on a console if you already have a PC? It's simply illogical. At least, they are not charging for LinuxDC...
My bad, sorry I didn't know it came with a hard drive. :oops:
I wonder who will actually use this kit? At least with LinuxDC it is theoretically possible to use it with a hard drive and still load data from CDs/CDRs
TheUnSlinger
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

hmm...

Post by TheUnSlinger »

It's true that it's(LinuxDC) not that functional, but it's fun in a silly kind of way. I do not think it is an obligation to charge nothing for PS2 Linux. Any company has a right to charge for it's software and it's not violating any contract. I realize that if it's based on something that has been worked on by people outside the company that those compnents should be distributed, but what would happen if that were true for windows applications? What about the OS the software is realeased for? Wouldn't that qualify under the same reasoning? The software is made using and with windows, and so wouldn't that mean that microsoft is entitled to a copy. This reasoning has many holes.
Guizzy

Post by Guizzy »

Yeah, but I thought it was an obligation that every Linux distro had to be given free. I mean; every distro is free, why isn't there a paying distro? (all the distributions you can buy in stores are also given for free in ISO format on the Internet, only with less commercial pakages).

And the PS2 Linux distro is in a major part (the kernel itself, the graphic librarys, the graphic server) NOT from Sony. When someone codes a Windows app, it's not having some of Microsoft's code. It's just compatible with Microsoft's code. Comparing a Distro to Linux itself is not at all like comparing a program with it's OS. That's comparing apples and oranges...

spag
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spag »

it's true. it's technically illegal for sony not to release their linux distro for free on the web. of course they don't have to do that with their propriety software for linux or anything they've written.

also they need to release the source code of any changes they made to linux to get it running on the playstation.
TheUnSlinger
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

hmm...

Post by TheUnSlinger »

ya'know, i think ur right. I didn't consider that. I should have written something more clear. even I'M not sure why i wrote that. Mebe the answer is in the liscence?