Next up Naomi emulation

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Styrofoam
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Next up Naomi emulation

Post by Styrofoam »

Garrofi posted this
chanka's members together with MAMEDEV dumper "The Guru" http://unemulated.emuunlim.com/ are working on naomi emulation, but we are getting that error which means the serial ID is missing from the emulation and to get it we need to dump the smt eeprom, so we need $$ to buy equipment to dump the missing Serial ID held in the surface-mounted EEPROM and once we hook up that data, it should boot further

you can see a video running NAOMI BIOS at http://www.emufanatics.com/emulator...fileinfo&id=167

if anyone can help, dc@chanka.org
Garrofi

Thread is here

Sassy 8-)

Credit for finding this goes to IQ_132
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

NAOMI is hardware identical to DC other than 2x ram and the GDrom units have hardware keys (as well as a few extra chips that store information to help make things like this not possible)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Freeze
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Freeze »

Great, I'd love to see Naomi emulation... different from the Dreamcast emulation which makes me afraid to see more Warez kiddies arround here.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

as opposed to naomi emulation where it ALL has to be warezed...?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Don't know much about Naomi hardware, but are there homebrew developers for the Naomi, or is it all just straight commercial software?
Styrofoam
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Styrofoam »

Naomi is an arcade board, so I very much doubt you'll find any HB dev'ers for this system :wink:

http://www.system16.com/sega/hrdw_naomi.html
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Nice :-). I hope they manage to get things working. You could make homebrew for this, just a little pointless thats all lol.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Hmm how? Homebrew for it would be made with what?. If it's the same as a dreamcast but has lock out's to stop you doing any thing what would be the point of it.

Intresting none the less.
Dreamcast forever!!!
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

I don't know? Like I said - I didn't know too much about the hardware, so I thought I'd ask. I didn't think there was..
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

There's some information on the Namoi here, including a list of known games with screenshots. There's also the Naomi GD-ROM, but I don't know how support for that will be.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Well basically it works like a DC but with more ram and lockouts. The first version had carts and a GDrom addon. It actually had 2x the main and graphics ram then 4x the sound ram. (total of 56mb instead of 26). Each GD-Rom for the GD Rom versions of games also came with a hardware key that needed to be used in order to prevent piracy of the games. In addition to this, i think its up to 8 could be hooked together to not only do like, multiplayer/machine games like vs racing games, but also to have just that much more power for games like 3 monitor flight sims.

The NAOMI 2 is already almost too far from DC to use same set of emulation. on top of the stuff in the NAOMI, it also has another bank of 32 mb used for system models AND a second pvr2 GPU.

In essence both NAOMIs are just like super powered DCs. The only problem with devving for them is a lack of knowledge as to the hardware lockouts and how they work. It could be possible to just have like one hardware key with a 'homebrew' code on it and to have an offshoot of kos perform the hardware checks, or simply not perform hardware checks. With emulation within the emulator you could fake the hardware keys, but warez for the NAOMI barely exists because even if you have dumps of the carts (or GD roms) you cant really do anything with it (unless you are making an emulator). It would be interesting to tweak KOS to work with naomi because it would be like ... the ultimate emulation machine with soo much ram :mrgreen:

Edit: fixed incorrect ram amount (just added wrong, sorry, had been partyin' all night)
Last edited by Quzar on Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I hope that wakes interest in more NAOMI ports to DC! but I guess it won't :x

The dev element of Chanka could allow even easier ports to DC! Time will tell!

btw: I thought the DC has a total of 24 MB RAM = 16 MB Main, 8 MB Gfx, 2 MB Sound

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Christuserloeser wrote:btw: I thought the DC has a total of 24 MB RAM = 16 MB Main, 8 MB Gfx, 2 MB Sound

Chris
That would actually add up to 26MB, so although both of you made a minor mistake in your addition, he was right about the rest - Naomi has 32/16/8 which is 2x/2x/4x and totals 56MBytes. Also, Naomi uses the same CPU/GPU/APU as the Dreamcast, same clockspeed and all.

Edit: Naomi 2, in addition to the 32MB model data memory, also doubles the VRAM above the Naomi 1 to 32MB. Further, in addition to a second PVR2 chip, it has "Elan" - a dedicated T&L unit. It *is* backwards compatible with Naomi 1, however.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

We should of got this machine as the dreamcast it would of been nice dont you think.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Alexvrb wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:btw: I thought the DC has a total of 24 MB RAM = 16 MB Main, 8 MB Gfx, 2 MB Sound
That would actually add up to 26MB
:o :oops: :? :roll: Ooops!

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ian Micheal wrote:We should of got this machine as the dreamcast it would of been nice dont you think.
[chuckles] Yeah, but I don't think even anyone in Japan would've been up to an $800 console in 1998; I doubt Naomi/Naomi2 could've sold for much less on the home market back then unless SEGA was trying to bankrupt themselves :-P.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Well they did that any way so at lest it would of given us a better console. I bought the first dreamcast in australia for $469. Was not cheap!
Dreamcast forever!!!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I paid $300 for mine in 2001
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Styrofoam
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Styrofoam »

The gf gave me mine as a x-mas present in 2002. Bought my 2nd one (still sealed) for ?70 last fall :)
Tvspelsfreak
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

I thought I'd post an offer we had here in Sweden just for fun...

Some months before the european DC release a "special offer" was introduced in a video game store called nordicgames.

"Be the first Swede to own a Dreamcast" or something like that.
Directly imported from Japan, delivered by Limousine.
Champagne would also be served upon delivery.
All that for a nice price of 30000 SEK (~3918 USD). :wink:

I wonder if anyone bought it?
https://github.com/tvspelsfreak/texconv - Converts images into any texture format supported on the DC.