Audrey Hepburn pencil'd

This forum is where you can show off your art, such as emulator software skins, DVD and CD covers; or discuss other art-related topics.
s.park
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Audrey Hepburn pencil'd

Post by s.park »

*formally known as tigger86

There's not a lot of hand drawn art in the Art Forum :evil:. I'm here to balance it out with some of my work. I'll be posting often 'cuz I have to get some practice before heading to Art Fundamentals in college in a few months.

Are 3D renders allowed here as well?

Critiques are welcome no matter how harsh.

Is anyone seeing X's or is it just me? If you are Here's the URL:

s.park's ugliness
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

All art is allowed here.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

That's pretty good. Her right shoulder is a bit large. It's too round too, so her necklace shouldn't be moving upwards, but rather downwards. Her mouth could be pushed up away from her chin a little bit and the nose needs to be shrunken a bit. Plus she has a huge forehead. Maybe bringing the hair down a bit would help this. There's also a few lighting issues, but nothing serious enough to comment about. Other than that, it's looks realistic. The shoulder is about the most notable error you made on the drawing.

I'm just mentioning this to you because you said you were going to go to art college soon, and if it's anything like my art schooling, you'll be grilled on your drawing skills constantly. The more you start to see your mistakes upfront, the better you will be at picking them out yourself, which will save you a lot of redos in college.
s.park
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by s.park »

Yeah, the shoulder was a problem area for me. Her body WAS supposed to be slanted slightly towards her left arm -our right-, but I could never get it to look right. The lips I'm in complete agreement on. Just looking at them now makes me cringe :D. I hate noses. If there's one thing I can't draw at all are hands and noses. Now the forehead bit. I kinda cheated with the forehead. I intentionally made it bigger to give her a babyface look. I guess I should do things more proportionally next time.

Yeah, my high school art prof told me the the college profs would eat me alive. I expected it as much. I'm going to Sheridan, if the name sparks any ideas. I'm expecting the most demeaning critiques from that school considering it's the top art and animation school in Canada. I really don't mind critiques. I take everything into consideration. I'd rather have someone say it sucks and tell me why it sucks than someone who just says it's good with no explanation.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

s.park wrote:Yeah, the shoulder was a problem area for me. Her body WAS supposed to be slanted slightly towards her left arm -our right-, but I could never get it to look right.
Your problem was never with making her look like she's leaning. You pull that effect off easily. It's quite obvious that she is leaning, so you shouldn't worry over that. The problem is her sholder is a big round hump. There's no curvature to it at all and she literally has no neck. Here, let me show you:

The red line is the implied line that makes up her neck under the necklace. Notice how there isn't enough neck to allow you the proper curature needed to continue the sholder. If you put the neck too high up, the curve back up starts too early and results in a huge shoulder. This is why body builders appear to have no neck. However, if you start it too low, the shoulder looks too boney. This is why extremely skinny people appear to have really long necks. The green line indicates a suggested neck length to make her shoulder look more proper. See how making the neck longer causes more curve in the shoulder? It has to lift more in order to accurately proportion the body. Anyway, if you didn't guess, you'll have to take a lot of anatomy classes when your in college.
s.park wrote:The lips I'm in complete agreement on. Just looking at them now makes me cringe.
The lips look fine to me. They are just a bit low. Pushing the whole face up slightly would fix the problem of the lips being too low and the forehead being to high. Also I noticed that the eyes are slightly slanted compared to the rest of the head. This also enhances the fact that she has a big forehead because one eye will have more space than the other one, therefore visually suggesting...well...a big forehead. :lol: Anyway, even if you never fixed the eyes, pushing the face up would help tremendously.

I do have to complement you on the hair, though. Typically hair is the hardest thing to make look realistic, but you nailed it. You made it look like it took no time at all. Very impressive.
s.park wrote:Yeah, my high school art prof told me the the college profs would eat me alive.
If they don't, they are not doing their job. If you find one that hates everything you do, you have the right professor, and I don't care how much you hate them, try to have them throughout your schooling. I promise, you will have a miserable time, but in the end you will be a 10 times better artist than the ones that drop the class to find a nicer prof.
s.park
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by s.park »

Wow. Thank you for taking the time to show me just what you were talking about. Very helpful :o
melancholy wrote:I do have to complement you on the hair, though. Typically hair is the hardest thing to make look realistic, but you nailed it. You made it look like it took no time at all. Very impressive.
Thanks. I tend to spend way too much time on hair than on the other features. So much tedious work went into it. The way I figure it, hair and eyes make any face (I guess that's a given). I used to draw anime stuff so that's where I got the concept from -all characters in anime look the same, except for hair and eyes...I gotta steer clear from that kind of drawing-.

I'm planning on going to the life drawing place that they offer on campus while I'm attending Sheridan. They basically have someone come in and pose for people to draw. Pretty sweet.

I'm currently working on modelling the Honda NAS concept motorcycle in Max so I'll be posting that possibly next week.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

very nice. love how well you did the hair.

that reminds me, I need to post some of my newer stuff...I've quite a collection of 3D, photoshop, and hand drawn/painted that I've been meaning to post........heck, I may even drag up my old 3D art topic to post my new stuff...maybe
this is my signature
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

I'd like to see what you can do after school pounds four (or two?) years of practice into you. Again, really nice job on the hair. Melancholy gave ya all the necessary criticism, so I don't got much to say.

The main thing I can say is this - and it's really apparent on the nose - is that you're drawing a face, and the things that make up the face, like the eyes, and nose, and lips. Which isn't what you should be doing. You should be drawing the light and shadow that you see. Don't think about what you're drawing. Just draw what you see.

This is really hard to get the hang of, but it's worth the effort. A good excercise is that thing where you break the picture down into a grid and draw one square at a time. And blind contour drawings (ugh, everyone should hate those... If you don't, you haven't done enough).
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Impressive drawing s.park. I agree with greay about the light and shadow thing. On your drawing it looks too much like you drew the nose rather then just let it for as a result of light and shadow, I think if you changed that aswell as the changes melancholy proposed it would look pretty good.

I think the lips look good, just their position needs altering.

Nice work though.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

s.park wrote:Yeah, the shoulder was a problem area for me. Her body WAS supposed to be slanted slightly towards her left arm -our right-, but I could never get it to look right. The lips I'm in complete agreement on. Just looking at them now makes me cringe :D. I hate noses. If there's one thing I can't draw at all are hands and noses. Now the forehead bit. I kinda cheated with the forehead. I intentionally made it bigger to give her a babyface look. I guess I should do things more proportionally next time.

Yeah, my high school art prof told me the the college profs would eat me alive. I expected it as much. I'm going to Sheridan, if the name sparks any ideas. I'm expecting the most demeaning critiques from that school considering it's the top art and animation school in Canada. I really don't mind critiques. I take everything into consideration. I'd rather have someone say it sucks and tell me why it sucks than someone who just says it's good with no explanation.

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.
Welcome fellow Canadian! I almost went to Sheridan for an Arts (drama) program. It's a great school.
s.park
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by s.park »

JAaron77 wrote:that reminds me, I need to post some of my newer stuff...I've quite a collection of 3D, photoshop, and hand drawn/painted that I've been meaning to post........heck, I may even drag up my old 3D art topic to post my new stuff...maybe
Do it! Please, think about the children! What kinds of things have you modelled before? Thematically speaking...sorry, I can't word it any other way because I just woke up...at 1:47pm...a little out of it. I'd be interested in your works )()(
greay wrote:after school pounds four (or two?) years of practice into you
It's actually one year of Art Fundamentals. Nothing hardcore.
You should be drawing the light and shadow that you see. Don't think about what you're drawing. Just draw what you see.
Heh, I've heard people say that before (especially on SixFeetUnder) "Draw what you see, not what you think you see." When I look at things, I try to see just the contours and then apply the values later. But then I often realize that objects in the real world aren't made up of contours, and are only drawn as such in cartoons because drawing them is a hellova a lot easier and then easier to colour (good ol' paintbucket). Everything is made up of shadows. I am Captain Obvious as you can see. Anyway, I'll keep that in mind the next time I draw a face...man, I hate noses.

Blind contour drawings? I think I saw this on the net somewhere. I haven't done this before, at least, academically. What exactly does it teach?

Oh hello ace? :D didn't realize you were from around these parts. I'm here in Etobicoke :).

Here's a sketch I did when I was 13. I consider this to be my greatest sketch despite its obvious errors. It was a final assignment in art class that year. The teacher, Mr. Read, was the best teacher I have yet to have. Anyway, this picture is where I really want to go with my art:

melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

s.park wrote:Blind contour drawings? I think I saw this on the net somewhere. I haven't done this before, at least, academically. What exactly does it teach?
Holy crap, you haven't lived until you've done blind contour drawings. Basically what you do is look at a person and draw the outline of them without ever looking at your paper. If you look at the paper, you fail. It has to be one continuous line too, no broken lines.

And greay, you should try doing blind contours like I had to do last semester. We taped a large piece of paper on the desk, put our back against the desk, then drew with our hand behind our back. And we had to keep it like that for almost an hour everytime. My arm would be stiff the rest of the day from it. It was torture.
_X_
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by _X_ »

i like to save bandwidth/bandwith......just hit my site up and click the art section
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

melancholy wrote: And greay, you should try doing blind contours like I had to do last semester. We taped a large piece of paper on the desk, put our back against the desk, then drew with our hand behind our back. And we had to keep it like that for almost an hour everytime. My arm would be stiff the rest of the day from it. It was torture.
:o Oh my god that is torture. It's like art olympics.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Holy crap melancholy that sounds like crap! Im glad I never had to do anything like that. Anyone got anymore work?