halo2 vs halflife2

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by navi »

FPS's on consoles just don't make any sense to me :lol:
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

HALO 2 SUCKS!!!

The graphics are nice. But multiplayer live is terrible.

Who ever has the better guns wins.
Who ever manages to sneak up behind the other person wins.

Those are the only terms for being good at the game. You move slower than molasses uphill in January, so dodging is out of the question.

Oh, and if you're some how even matched, the one who started shooting first.... Wins.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

You forgot to add:
-whoever gets the sniper first (and knows how to use it) wins. But that's also much along the lines of better gun wins part....
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

FPS's on consoles just don't make any sense to me
I dunno, I thought TS2 was pulled off very nicely. I loved that game, and am eagerly anticipating the release of TS3 :mrgreen:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Skynet wrote:
FPS's on consoles just don't make any sense to me
I dunno, I thought TS2 was pulled off very nicely.
Now you're talking :D , TS2 gives Halo a damn good kicking up it's baboon like ass if you ask me, Particularly the GameCube version (the GC pad is the one to use with this game).

It's just a full on blastathon! the controls are great, there's plenty of weapons, There's about a million characters to choose from Including, Gangsters, Military, a monkey, a ginger bread man, a snowman, monsters, robots and even circus folk :o , virtually anyone.

as well as the single game, you have an awesome multiplayer with tons of options, Challenge modes that will last you for ages. This game will last you for a long time.

And most important of all It's fun to play.
Last edited by Matisfaction on Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

mariobro wrote:
Some people lay the hate on Halo because it's one of the most impressive shooters ever released, and it didn't debut on the PC.

If it had appeared on PCs first, it would be hailed as the greatest games of all time, just like HalfLife. (oh, and by the way, it isn't :D )
No it wouldn't, it would get mediocre reviews and laughed at for being possibly the most insipidly generic FPS ever made - HL2 gets respect because there are so many crappy FPSs on PC, that when one can come along and totally reinvent the genre it reminds people why they like the FPS as a genre.

Halo does nothing innovative, is slow paced, repetitive, and easy. Yes, even on 'legendary' - you dont need any more skill to play through on legendary, it just takes you longer and degenerates into remembering where to be shooting each time you play through (so much for the AI).

Unlike many of you fanboy tools, I'm not going to compare HL2 and Halo 2, because I haven't played Halo 2 from start to finish (and have no intention of doing so, it was as crap as the first in singleplayer) and only a moron would say one game was better than another they haven't even played all the way through :roll:

I will give you points to consider however:

1) Singleplayer

HL2 is the finest singleplayer FPS I have played, ever.

Where most FPS games (yes, halo 1 *especially*) have dull 'gruntwork' parts to take you to the next setpiece, HL2 is one long setpiece - you genuinely do not know what you are next in for. It's not perfect (what is?) but it is streets ahead of anything else out there at the moment.

2) multiplayer

HL2DM is crap, CS:S is just as crap as the original CS, but with prettier graphics.

I don't care.

HL is still the best multiplayer game ever, and its not for CS or for HLDM. If there are only 2 decent mods for HL2 ever made, it still kills any console FPS stone dead because it is 2 good games to their one.

Do you see?
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

If it had appeared on PCs first, it would be hailed as the greatest games of all time, just like HalfLife. (oh, and by the way, it isn't )
Had it been released as a PC game first (actually, a PC + Mac dual release), it would have been released well over a year earlier.

A lot happened in the time between Microsoft buying out Bungee, and the release of Halo for the Xbox. Halo ceased to be even remotely impressive, and became just another generic FPS. A reasonably well done FPS, but just another FPS all the same.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

mariobro wrote:Halo does nothing innovative, is slow paced, repetitive, and easy.
I agree totally. Yes, Halo and Halo 2 were indeed quite cinematic, but as a game, it was mediocre, and at times, crappy at best. Kind of reminds me of Xenosaga. I want a game, not a movie.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Hawke wrote:HALO 2 SUCKS!!!

Those are the only terms for being good at the game. You move slower than molasses uphill in January, so dodging is out of the question.

Oh, and if you're some how even matched, the one who started shooting first.... Wins.
Sounds like you need to practice instead. Oh wait, that'd be too hard.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

I love how everyone acts as if their opinion is a fact.
Very sexy hero, omg
liltimmyw
Mother Trucker
Mother Trucker

Post by liltimmyw »

Half-Life 2 for sure.

I know I'll probably be murdered for saying this, but.... I hate Halo. I can't stand it. So that means I hate Halo 2 aswell.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

If you like plain old shoot em up FPS you outta try the Serious Sam games. They are nothing specil, but they are one of the few games where you seriously end up killing 100's of baddies per stage.

There was one part I was at where I bet there was 200 of these chargeing bulls coming after me lol. Of course they give you weapons of mass destruction on there and plenty of ammo.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

ya, serious sam and timesplitters 2 are games I found them to be decent. Now, in console language: IT WAS AWESOME!!!

later,

Kingbuzzo.
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

Random_Troll wrote:
Hawke wrote:HALO 2 SUCKS!!!

Sounds like you need to practice instead. Oh wait, that'd be too hard.
Halo 2 still sucks :roll:
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

No it wouldn't, it would get mediocre reviews and laughed at for being possibly the most insipidly generic FPS ever made
Yes thats why just about every mag already gave it great reviews :roll: .
HL2 gets respect because there are so many crappy FPSs on PC, that when one can come along and totally reinvent the genre it reminds people why they like the FPS as a genre.
HL2 reinvents the fps genre how exactly?.

Now don't get me wrong, im not saying hl2 is crap, i already said i like it better then halo 2, and it does have a great single player game, and a great story, but saying it reinvents the fps genre is not right, cos it doesn't, its only so good cos of its story and level designe, if it didn't have them 2 things it would be nothing.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Eitherway, both games are a lot of fun. Half-Life 2 lost all interest to me once I beat it. ( And the fact that I can't find my play disc ) Halo 2 is good for when me and a few friends get together and wanna have some carnage.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

neither...

i played halo 1 and beat it, thought it was good but it wasnt something i played after i beat it.
played halo 2, thought multiplayer sucked (well, 4 players on 1 screen), and i just dont like "halo"

ive played half life, beat it on the dc (yeah, i know), but never played it after that.

id rather sit down and play TS2, "unreal" games, doom 3, etc then those 2 games.

i still dont understand what is so great about the graphics in halo (2), look at unreal championship- or even doom 3 wich is a few months away from it's xbox release, those kick halos ass.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

zero wrote:
No it wouldn't, it would get mediocre reviews and laughed at for being possibly the most insipidly generic FPS ever made
Yes thats why just about every mag already gave it great reviews :roll: .
I haven't seen a single review from any source whose impartiality I respect that gave Halo PC more than 7/10.

Yes, I am fully aware that certain magazines and sites gave it 10/10 BEST GAME EVAR THATS OUT THIS MONTH! awards, but certain magazines and sites would give a spray painted turd a gold medal and a 98% score if they were given sufficient cash by the game in questions PR company.

General rule of thumb: if your 'source' gave the bug ridden abomination that is MOH:RS more than 50%, then it is a liar.
zero wrote:
HL2 gets respect because there are so many crappy FPSs on PC, that when one can come along and totally reinvent the genre it reminds people why they like the FPS as a genre.
HL2 reinvents the fps genre how exactly?.
I wrote: Where most FPS games (yes, halo 1 *especially*) have dull 'gruntwork' parts to take you to the next setpiece, HL2 is one long setpiece - you genuinely do not know what you are next in for. It's not perfect (what is?) but it is streets ahead of anything else out there at the moment.
zero wrote: Now don't get me wrong, im not saying hl2 is crap, i already said i like it better then halo 2, and it does have a great single player game, and a great story, but saying it reinvents the fps genre is not right, cos it doesn't, its only so good cos of its story and level designe, if it didn't have them 2 things it would be nothing.
good story, good level design, interesting choice of weaponry, fun physics based gameplay and a solid, scalable engine.

Yes, take all those away, and its probably not a good game. Take those away and its not a game at all :roll:
Random_Troll wrote:Eitherway, both games are a lot of fun. Half-Life 2 lost all interest to me once I beat it. ( And the fact that I can't find my play disc )
HL2 doesn't need a play disk.
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

good story, good level design, interesting choice of weaponry, fun physics based gameplay and a solid, scalable engine.

Yes, take all those away, and its probably not a good game. Take those away and its not a game at all
Ok, take halos story and levels and put them in the source engine, does that mean halo is reinventing the fps genre?, cos what your saying is that by hl2 having a better story and better choice of weaponry etc then some other fps games it's reinventing the fps genre, when all it really is doing is doing them things better then most other fps.
XPoGoX
XPoison FreeX
XPoison FreeX

Post by XPoGoX »

why does everyone think halo 2 sucks online?. The game is great to me..the whole sniper ruining the gameplay issuse is kinda weak. In any case i think both games are great, hl2 online isnt the best just yet, in acouple months it will be great.