Libby testifies Bush authorized information leak

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by jaredfogle »

Are the US mass media covering this? At all?

I think, for whatever reason, the public does not understand the seriousness of this case. I'm old enough to remember what a big deal Whitewater was, and I am fairly sure that the public was rather well-educated during the Watergate scandal. Why is this any different?

This closely ties PNAC folk (and now Bush) to very illegal activity.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

don't hold your breath, it'll probably go the same way as the downing street memo.

look ! killer chickens whoooooooo
jaredfogle
DCEmu Turkey Baster
DCEmu Turkey Baster

Post by jaredfogle »

mikozero wrote:don't hold your breath, it'll probably go the same way as the downing street memo.

look ! killer chickens whoooooooo
I think not for two reasons:

1) Public support for Bush has waned considerably since the DS business.

2) This is already in court. There are some very talented lawyers fighting this case. The DS memo was leaked to the public, but no hell ever really got raised because of it. This is already stirring things up. If nothing else, we have a good deal of embarrassment for Libby. Again, I stress the Libby/PNAC connection.

I imagine high-level pseudo-legal politickin' is a little like the dope trade. When your friends start getting arrested, you cover your ass and forget about profiting. These folks are falling back.

The real question is, who's going to take their place? The good conservatives with the tainted image? The largely irrelevant democrats?

I think now is a good time for conservatives to distinguish themselves from the PNAC/neo-con/Bush/etc. crowd if they want to have anything left in 06 and 08.
Where's toastman? I'm bored.
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

good points, i'll try and catch the CBS and ABC evening news in the next few days and see if it has any mainstream visablity.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Are the US mass media covering this? At all?
Yes. It's on the MSNBC front page. And CNN. And Yahoo. And even Fox News.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

jaredfogle wrote:Are the US mass media covering this? At all?

I think, for whatever reason, the public does not understand the seriousness of this case. I'm old enough to remember what a big deal Whitewater was, and I am fairly sure that the public was rather well-educated during the Watergate scandal. Why is this any different?

This closely ties PNAC folk (and now Bush) to very illegal activity.
....dude, i came home and it was on every news channel.... but i do agree with you, not many realize the seriousness of what is going on... it is to complicated for the average person to care... I think that the public should be much more concerned now than with watergate or any of the other "scandals"... this makes watergate look like child's play.... the president has commited crimes, real, prosecutable crimes... the whole wiretapping thing, this... the rendition project... Abu Grabbe... the war... there is so much.... the scariest part is if this is what we do know...what are they doing that we don't know?
Feel it, Don't think
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

i think we probably 'know' most of it but there's been a lot of ostrich syndrome up until now. the downing street memo is one thing, the (now mising) money to rebuild Iraq another, the direct involvment in various aspects of oil/fuel supplys in Iraq (in and out) . . . Ad infinitum.

up until now its been deflected by glib remarks along the lines of 'do you really think we'd do something that ?' and sympathetic support from the right wing of the media and population (from what i can gather this side of the pond)

the potental problem is that 'do you really think we'd do something that ?' breaks down completely when the answer is proven (a least once) to be 'yes'

hopefully the Amercan public will hold their elected officals to account (if they're proven to have done something wrong) which according to a lot of those inspirational American movies i've seen over the years is (apparently) your duty as American citizens.

if not, what will the next lot to get in think they can get up to ?

what i want to see now is someone just straight out ask Bush if he did it.

then we can have a burnin' if he lies.
(hey, what's good for the goose . . . )
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

You can thank Anti Abortion/bible thumbers that he is in office.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
mikozero
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mikozero »

well the story now appears to be "yesterdays news" and didn't even warrant a mainstream report in the British media