Shenmue Heads (18 HI-RES screeshots)

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Imerion
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Imerion »

Those truly are fantastic. Thanks for taking them all. Will be perfect to send to friends who doubt the DC's power, since as you mentioned, most screenshots around the net are sadly of very low quality.
Wish more people would capture screens through the VGA-Output. :)
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer

Post by GyroVorbis »

I have a VGA box, how the hell are you doing that?
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

you should post them in the other topic show the dreamcast real power or something I really liked that thread I belve it went till 30 pages or more.
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

The Dreamcast's Real power

To save anyone the hassle of digging it up, here's a link :)

Btw, I do think that thread should have some un-edited pictures. Otherwise I could just throw in some Chankast shots as well.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

What the hell is Chankast doing to up the appearance? I don't think it's doing too much. Anti-aliasing more? Running at a higher resolution?
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Yup, but adding more antialiasing and upping the resolution can of course enhance the image a lot, just like doing post processing with regular screenshots. I'm sorry if I sound like an arse or something but I'm just somewhat of a purist who prefers to have screenshots show exactly what the console does, postprocessing give a nicer image, but imho those images should be kept seperated from the 'real' screenshots.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Sure, the images are a little sharper than on a regular TV, but the texture resolution and filtering, model and ambient lighting, color saturation, model design and polycount, env-mapping on the eyes... all this is the Dreamcast, its not like the ePSXe that makes the PS1 look like a DC!
The only difference is that its 800X600 instead if 640X480, nothing else.
evanft
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by evanft »

These really don't prove anything about the power of the DC. Those are just the HEADS of characters without a whole lot of lighting, no AI, no physics, no other characters, nothing. The in-game models/graphics in Shenmue 2 don't even look as good as those.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Xbox 360 characters don't look as good as those...
Segata Sanshiro
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

evanft wrote:These really don't prove anything about the power of the DC. Those are just the HEADS of characters without a whole lot of lighting, no AI, no physics, no other characters, nothing. The in-game models/graphics in Shenmue 2 don't even look as good as those.
It prooves the HIGH texture quality of the dreamcast, the dynamic lighting of the shenmue engine, the alpha capabilities of the textures, multitexturing, env-mapping... i believe it shows a lot of things.
And most of all the skill of the AM2 artists and designers!
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

Awesome job Segata... Brilliant. Yeah, those AM2 fellas are something spectacular... The texture work is mind boggling.

Evanft: Actually, I'm pretty sure the entire models are in there. I remember seeing shots of a hack some guy did on shenmue dojo where he placed the high res characters into the normal game... And yeah, they show awesome power... Hell, the PS2 STILL can't do proper Full Screen AA.

Cid: Those ain't contact lenses... That's real time refraction and reflection... It blew me away the 1st time I saw it... Hell, it could be just a reflection map, but the refraction is real... And that is freeking amazing.

I'm also in the digital/multimedia design field so I inspect these things closely too. Haha. I think Shenmue started the trend of having multiple character libraries of the same character/anatomy... Swapping bits and bobs for others depending on how many polys the scene contained... Extremely clever design.

I rememeber reading reviews of SOA and thinking it looked like crap... Then I borrowd my mates import US copy and was totally blown away... 'Cept for the random battles... Grrr.

I'm overseas now, have been for 3 months, away from my DC... And like you Segata, I've got an extremely unhealthy obsession. Haha. Most of my mates do now too... Nothing like drinking, playing 4 player Virtua Tennis (Or 8 player California Games) before a night on the town... ;)
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I'm overseas now, have been for 3 months,
Did you come to Australia? Because at heart, I know all Kiwi's wish to be Aussie. :wink: :kiss)
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
BaldMonk
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by BaldMonk »

:p Haha, no... Just a small holiday... However, tell that to my savings... Time to start saving for my OE again. :D
Mr. Jones
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mr. Jones »

Segata - what did you use to grab those stills? I want to capture some stills and gameplay from Soul Calibur and Project Justice, and I'd really like to grab them at the same quality as my VGA adapter, not composite video.
Mark30001
Mark30001
Mark30001

Post by Mark30001 »

Very nice screens! I'm also interest in knowing what tools you used for such a superb quality!