Need some quick computer help

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need some quick computer help

Post by Nemesis »

I got a sub-laptop in china, its a fujitsu, but i don't know the model. The thing is that windows is in chinese, so obviously its a pain in the but. It is running windows ME. I got windows ME in english, and i need to install it. Heres where i started running into problems. I tried putting all the files on the hard-drive of the sub and then running the setup. The result was the error "windows character set mismatched", and it told me to do a clean install. There are a few problems with that. 1. Some dip-$hit password protected the bios... which are in chinese. 2. Being a sub, it has no form of disk drive. If anyone has any suggestions as to how i could get engrish ME onto it, they would be much appreciated. :D
Feel it, Don't think
Hawke
Wastelander

Post by Hawke »

Problem #1, Windows ME is horrendous.
Problem #2, without the model #, it's going to be hard to crack that bios unless you, or someone you know, know's chinese.
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The only thing I can think of would be to do the MS-DOS mode hack and try starting setup from DOS mode. Note that this does involve renaming system files and thus carries some risk of rendering the system unusable if you mess up. Also, I haven't tested this method, but even though this is from a Random Slashdot Comment [TM], it's from a guy who in my experience knows his stuff when it comes to Windows hacking.
Alex Ionescu wrote:I think most of you don't understand that the only thing they've done is remove the DOS option from the boot menu, as well from the shutdown menu.... You STILL have access to the DOS prompt, you can STILL boot to DOS by using a diskette.
And I know a little trick that will boot you too DOS very easily... All you have to do is make a batch file that renames c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd to c:\windows\system\winlod.vxf and then rename c:\windows\command.com to c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd.
You then restart your computer and voila BOOM you're in DOS. Just make another batch file which does the contrary and restart, and voila BANG you're in Windows.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

:D Yah, i know ME is awful, I wouldn't even know where to begin with cracking the bios, however my host is coming to America in september, he could probably help, but i'd like to be able to use my laptop untill then... I've tried searching for what i think is the model #. The sticker on the bottom says FMV-253L.

here are some pictures:

Feel it, Don't think
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

Ok, i think this plan is reasonable, tell me if you think this will work

1. Create batch files for renaming c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd and c:\windows\command.com
2. Restart computer, and let it boot to DOS.
3. Use DOS to format C:
4. Use DOS to transfer windows setup files from thumb drive E: to hdd C:
5. Use DOS to run windows setup files, and let it install in the clean directory.

I think that would work, however, i need to make sure it will before i do it.
Feel it, Don't think
Smurph
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Smurph »

Nemesis wrote:Ok, i think this plan is reasonable, tell me if you think this will work

1. Create batch files for renaming c:\windows\system\vmm32.vxd and c:\windows\command.com
2. Restart computer, and let it boot to DOS.
3. Use DOS to format C:
4. Use DOS to transfer windows setup files from thumb drive E: to hdd C:
5. Use DOS to run windows setup files, and let it install in the clean directory.

I think that would work, however, i need to make sure it will before i do it.
No CD-ROM?
And unless the laptop has built-in support for USB in DOS, it won't work.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

yah, i know.... i should probably test it to see if it has USB DOS support first, But what would my other options be if it doesn't?
Feel it, Don't think
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Nemesis wrote:yah, i know.... i should probably test it to see if it has USB DOS support first, But what would my other options be if it doesn't?
You could connect the hard drive to another computer and dump the files in that way.
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

butters wrote:
Nemesis wrote:yah, i know.... i should probably test it to see if it has USB DOS support first, But what would my other options be if it doesn't?
You could connect the hard drive to another computer and dump the files in that way.
i'm not sure if the hdd is standard though, most sub-laptops, especially older, and especially foreign, use non-standard parts. I'll open it up and see though. thanks for the good idea!
Feel it, Don't think
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

YOU ARE A GENIUS AND I LOVE YOU, it is standard 2.5', and i just happend to have a usb adapter for standard laptop hdds!!! yay! now i can swap out this tiny 5gb hdd for a massive 40 gb one too!!!
Feel it, Don't think
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Nemesis, what was the biggest size luggage (non-carryon) you could bring to China? 54 inches?

How much did the laptop cost anyways?
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

I think it was like 64 inches, but there is a weight limit going to and from and in china. The weight limit in china (like say if you were flying from Liu-yan to Bejing) was 40lbs, but going to or out of was like 60 something. that laptop cost me the equivalent of $200, i got another one (full-sized, brand new, great hardware) for the equivalent of $800.
Feel it, Don't think