New HD & WiFi Mvix Media Center

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New HD & WiFi Mvix Media Center

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...So I got into a long discussion of these multimedia drive enclosures some time last year, but never really got around to actually buying one. And while I still haven't exactly decided what I want to do in terms of a media server, Mvix (one of the more major manufacturers of these devices) has gone and seriously updated their product line.

This one is starting to push the price point enough to where a cheap PC may be more appealing, but it's an interesting device nonetheless. Enough other people seemed interested the last time around that I decided I'd post this update:

Mvix(tm) Wireless HD Media Center (MX-760HD)

The new Linux-based MX-760HD Media Center will take advantage of the superior capabilities of Sigma 8621 chipset. It features the wireless 802.11g technology with WEP infrastructure for streaming digital media across network clients.

As a logical extension of the DVD market, the MX-760HD enables its users to enjoy their entire library of movies, DVDs, home videos and even digital audio content on one 3.5-inch hard disk drive. For movies, TV shows, camcorder footage and more, the MX-760HD is capable of storing and decoding dozens of digital media files and formats. To meet the latest advancements in Audio/Video interfaces, the Mvix(tm) Hi-Def Media Center connects to HDTV or Plasma TV sets via a High Definition Digital Video Interface (DVI).

It allows PC connectivity via USB2.0, Wireless (802.11G or MIMO), LAN (10/100 Mbps) and USB-Host ports. For output, display devices can be connected via DVI, Component, S-video, Composite and the traditional 3-pin RCA ports. The MX-760HD also offers digital optical-audio port.

Mvix(tm) Wireless HD Media Center (MX-760HD): Currently taking preorders. Launch date Dec. 1st, 2006. Expected shipping date Dec. 5th, 2006. MSRP (w/o hard drive): $349.00

[NOTE: Press release edited to remove excessive self-praise]
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Honestly, at this point, it almost seems like it's a better option just to get the 80GB iPod and an A/V cradle. If only one of these things had DVR functions as well....
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

Wow. Pricey.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

UPDATE: ThinkGeek is selling it for $300. Still not practical in my opinion, but a little better. And here's a back shot:

Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

A $100 xbox and a $40 belkin game adapter will again do the same thing for half as much.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

WiFi's not really good for streaming video. Too many packets get dropped.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Egotistical EvilN wrote:A $100 xbox and a $40 belkin game adapter will again do the same thing for half as much.
Dunno, the xbox cant really handle proper HD vids without lag at the mo...
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Looks great, but pricey. I was actually looking to build another media box. I may just end up getting this thing. Thanks for the link.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead