WAHHH, my DC just like stopped working....

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
TheEnforcer1215
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

WAHHH, my DC just like stopped working....

Post by TheEnforcer1215 »

I went to boot it up with Nester....like normal, it made the airplane noises and then....nothing...it came to the browser. Well I said oh well, restarted, and then NOTHING, no noises, nothing...what has happened?
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

:o try again! what happens?
Insane homebrew collector.
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

Burn a new disc?
TheEnforcer1215
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

nope, it was working all week. Tried with NESTER, DreamSNES, all...nothing...notta. Tried booting utopia..nope...I was JUST using it this weekend. And I have to edit my first post....it came to the MUSIC screen..and since then i have tried a CD in there, nothing...it doesnt seem to read anything...is this one of those things i should wait and try later, or is it not gonna work???
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

ok ive had this before, on my first Dreamcast i was swapping it for a GBA and on the night i was gonna do the deed the ruddy Dreamcast wouldnt recognise any discs so basically, i got my hand and with a cd in the Dreamcast i spun it a few times and the luckily it started to go again, i managed to swap it and he never came bcak too :)

so try spinning the cd yourself a few times
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
TheEnforcer1215
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

hmmm, I think it is spinning the disk, but it doesnt seem to be reading with the laser, because if I open it fast like after it realizes there "is no game" then the disk is still spinning.....hmmm.... |/|
WRAGGSTER
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster
DCEmu.co.uk Webmaster

Post by WRAGGSTER »

get a cd cleaner and try that
Webmaster of DCEmu

The Homebrew and Gaming Network Covering All Consoles.
TheEnforcer1215
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Nope....tried it...it still just does nothing. I mean it spins around a few times, and just stops like all the disks...i dont understand why this just happened....never had any other problems...I got it preowned from EB over the winter..
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

I'm not suggesting it in case it's dangerous, but doesn't someone else round here turn his DC upside down to make it read?

Oh heck, what harm could that do anyway. If it's broke already I s'pose it won't do any harm...

Plenty of PS1's only work upside down. I imagine it's something to do with the laser focal length shortening...
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

okay off to bed but one thing I could suggest to you:

1st don't touch the lense ever
2nd if the DC is in front of you with its controller ports and the power supply to its back then try to push the black thing that holds the lense a bit in to you (in your direction / to the middle part where the CD will be held). It'll do 'click' and then try again booting your CD.

Don't know if it helps, just try it, but don't be rude, just a very little push...
Insane homebrew collector.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Maybe you'll wanna try out the laser calibration tutorial, which I still need to get up on my site.

http://sysopaim.cjb.net/
TheEnforcer1215
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Tried upside down, tried pushing the black thing around the lens close to me, still no cigar...gonna try the laser calib...
TheEnforcer1215
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

OMG...OOMG.....I LOVE YOU.......IT WORKS>...
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Glad to hear. :wink:
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

fackue wrote:Maybe you'll wanna try out the laser calibration tutorial, which I still need to get up on my site.

http://sysopaim.cjb.net/
It's amusing how enthusiastically informal that guy is.
"IF the disc spins, spins faster, keeps on spinning, and you can hear the laser move around as it reads the cd, THEN HELL YEA YOUR SH*T WORKS NOW!!!!"
sappel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sappel »

hmmm, I just suggest you to get a new DC before you can't find them anymore

I also had some weird problems with my DC I had before :( I sometimes had to try to boot something for 30 minutes before I was able to play, almost a year after these problems started the DC died, and the worst thing of all, it wrecked half of my game collection, I dunno what it did but I guess it overheaded all games I played a lot, cause the end of the CD was a bit bended upwarts, so my new DC can't read those games (maybe the old model has a weaker laser, but it do have a better cooler :), now most of those games wont even start, or the will crsh when loading someting

so be aware, just get yourself a spare DC
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

sappel wrote: cause the end of the CD was a bit bended upwarts, so my new DC can't read those games
Try this at your own risk, but I don't think it'll mess your games up and I read a while back that it worked for somebody else.

Take your warped disc, and put it on a flat, clean surface. Then, pile "The Norton Anthology of English Literature," "The American Tradition in Literature," and "Fiction 100" on top of your disc. Let it sit that way for a long time. Later, see if the disc will work.

Feel free to substitute those books with any large volumes of literature or equally sizeable college textbooks. More weight than that might be needed, actually. Might want to try several volumes of "The Oxford English Dictionary" or some weights or something, but be careful not to crush your disc into oblivion.
sappel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sappel »

lol yeah, I will try that for sure, why shouldn't I try? they aren't working now, os it can't get worse, I just can't wait to play all my legal games again cause all my good games (exept Skies of arcadia and PSO) are now backups :(
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

OneThirty8 wrote:Take your warped disc, and put it on a flat, clean surface. Then, pile "The Norton Anthology of English Literature," "The American Tradition in Literature," and "Fiction 100" on top of your disc. Let it sit that way for a long time. Later, see if the disc will work.
I knew that "Norton"s were good for something. :D
No signature.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Nice work on the tut fackue :thumbsup: