Leaked PSP firmware update

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Leaked PSP firmware update

Post by Hawq »

The file, which appears to have been made public on one of Sony's websites by accident, was rapidly dissected by enthusiasts and was found to include references to a wide range of new applications for the handheld console.

Among the software which the file was configured to install were internet applications such as a web browser and email client, tools including a text to speech utility and a calculator, and a word processor and spreadsheet.

However, none of the software referenced was actually included in the installer - but the references tend to imply that Sony is indeed planning on adding significant amounts of non-games functionality to the PSP, which can already play music, movies and photo slideshows, in the future.

Sony has now confirmed that the installer is real, but has strongly advised users not to attempt to apply it, as it will "cause the PSP hardware to stop operating," according to a spokesperson.
Users of Sony's Image Converter 2 might also be interested to know that a person called Alcahest has released a translation for the software which is currently available through file sharing networks. All you have to do is to replace a few .dll files in your Image Converter 2 Install folder. It's recommended to make a backup before doing such things, and all of this is of course not officially supported.

There is also a homebrew version called 3GPP. This one seems to do the job pretty well, but is not as flashy as the Sony one. We've heard of users successfully converting DivX, Xvid, WMV and MPEG.
Read more over at Lik-Sang
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Cool, but its not like anything revoluntionary that would make me buy one
InvisixIsLeet
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by InvisixIsLeet »

Did you even read it? It's causing PSP's to die once it's installed.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Nauzi wrote:Did you even read it? It's causing PSP's to die once it's installed.
For some reason I think they are just saying that to stop people from installing it.
InvisixIsLeet
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by InvisixIsLeet »

Yes, I was thinking the SAME thing. However I don't think anyone really wants to test it out, "just in case".
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

It can cause problems but it doesnt instantly cause it to crash. So its a semi truth. It's still best to wait since there not revolutionary features that you'd need.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Nauzi wrote:Did you even read it? It's causing PSP's to die once it's installed.
I think matt was referring to that it was cool that Sony is planning web browsing apps and such for the PSP.
Very sexy hero, omg
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Yeah and that im not suprised and how im worried it'll be marketed to make the PSP look amazing, when the DS can do the same damn thing
arrowhead
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by arrowhead »

Right, this was "Accidently" released, just like the new ps2 "accidently" makes it easier to pirate because of the flip top. Sony isnt stupid. They "accidently" release this small file which references all these cool features and people start speculating what might be next besides these features. They also "Accidently" release it in a non working state so people cant use the features.

Genius marketing by sony man.
Shut that cunts mouth before I come over there and fuck start her head
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Gotta agree with ya arrow.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

This is why we have such fine rental outlets such as Blockbuster ...

Relax I'm kidding =D Although If I had a PSP and I heard enough good feedback about this, I'd give it a go. I did that with flashing my Xbox's onboard TSOP chip.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

PSP - the cli? killer.
Covar
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Covar »

Nyarlathotep wrote:PSP - the cli? killer.
lol
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ugh...web browsing on a handheld without a touchscreen? No thanks. I heard about this the other day through IGN, and I think the PSP--if this stuff all pans out--is quickly losing its focus. Yeah, it's nice to have a bundled, all-in-one handheld. The problem, and the reason no such device *cough*N-Gage*cough has done well thus far, is because it's more important for a machine to serve its purpose WELL than just to do a million and one things poorly.

The closest to a successful all-in-one handheld that there's been so far is the Tapwave Zodiac, and the reason it's succeeding is because the company gave up on trying to market it as a games machine. It's a PalmPilot, and a DAMN good one. It's a great PDA with good battery life, a large and bright display, and lots of functionality (dual SD slots, wireless Internet, MP3 and video playback), and it has the hardware necessary to game...but that's stretching it. So when it started to falter like so many others have, the company said "okay, this is too much. We're overextending. Just push the multimedia abilities, and don't trump the gaming up so much."

The N-Gage is a miserable failure. Game.com, same thing. Cell phones are beginning to get rather bloated, but they still don't do any of their tasks well...except making phone calls. Gameboy is and always has been a success, because it was designed well and marketed well specifically for a set purpose: playing games. You can get add-ons to do other things if you want, but these are optional for those who "need" such functionality and not part of the core system.

Yes, I think it would be neat to have a GOOD all-in-one. But again, there's no point unless you can do those tasks well. This is why--despite the fact that some tiny third party has made one for every hardware generation--PIMs have never caught on for Gameboy. It's the wrong hardware for the task: the resolution's too low and the interface is wrong. There has been talk of going online with DS, too...I'm all for having a PIM app and an email/SMS client for the machine; its dual displays and touch interface would work well for this. But due to the screen resolution, I don't see any purpose in a full-blown web broswer. It would be a waste of R&D effort on the company's part, because there's an inherent limit in the system design. The same goes even moreso for the PSP: the screen still isn't large enough for proper browsing, and its interface is far, far worse than the DS' for such a task.

Similarly, having a tiny but clunky external keyboard and no pointing device (except maybe a half-assed analog stick implementation...remember how "easy and convenient" that was on Dreamcast? Yeah :P) is not how you want to browse the Internet...especially on a machine that doesn't even have half-VGA resolution. I am very proud of my Zodiac for making these "full-size" tasks accessible on the go, and even IT is pushing it sometimes.

I see this as something that people will hear about and go "ooh, neat!" until they actually sit down with it...at which point they'll promptly get frustrated and/or bored and seldom if ever make use of that function again.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

I had a feeling the PSP would be crap.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

DaMadFiddler wrote:I see this as something that people will hear about and go "ooh, neat!" until they actually sit down with it...at which point they'll promptly get frustrated and/or bored and seldom if ever make use of that function again.
Just like every other "extra" feature on consoles. Ugh I remember booting up the dc web browser for the first time. So disappointing.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I wouldn't mind using email on the DS, would be a lot easier with the stylus
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Just like every other "extra" feature on consoles. Ugh I remember booting up the dc web browser for the first time. So disappointing.
XDP, damnit! X-D-P!!!
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

fatheadpi wrote:
XDP, damnit! X-D-P!!!
Web belongs on the PC !!! :P
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead