Revolution Controller Is Tiny

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Revolution Controller Is Tiny

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...Just check out these publicity shots:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ludo/sets/ ... 105519147/

(I tried to link the images directly, but Flickr has a spoiler script to prevent getting photo URLs...and I couldn't find the original photo address in the page source)
TyBO
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by TyBO »

Wow... and in the trailer, it looks bigger. Maybe that's just cause the Japanese have smaller hands. ;)
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I hope they make nintendo, or maybe a third party makes a bigger one. My hands are to big for that. I actually get hand cramps from playing GC titles.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Re: Revolution Controller Is Tiny

Post by butters »

DaMadFiddler wrote: (I tried to link the images directly, but Flickr has a spoiler script to prevent getting photo URLs...and I couldn't find the original photo address in the page source)
If I may guess at how they are doing their image generation, I think they are storing them as blobs in a database and generating an image out of that data. That's the only way I can think of that Firefox wouldn't be able to determine the actual source.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Re: Revolution Controller Is Tiny

Post by DaMadFiddler »

butters wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote: (I tried to link the images directly, but Flickr has a spoiler script to prevent getting photo URLs...and I couldn't find the original photo address in the page source)
If I may guess at how they are doing their image generation, I think they are storing them as blobs in a database and generating an image out of that data. That's the only way I can think of that Firefox wouldn't be able to determine the actual source.
Normally, pages will just put a "dummy" layer over the image, so you get the wrong thing when you right-click. However, you can generally get the correct URL by calling up the page source and looking for it.

However, in this case, it looks like it's all being loaded by scripts using reference numbers rather than filenames, so there's no way of telling where the actual image is.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Tools > Page Info > Media in Firefox

Hopefully that displays with this site as a referrer.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

That second man is scary. I like this because I have tiny tiny hands.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

It's thinking...
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

I'd like to know how much it weighs. If they can keep it just as light as standard tv remote then I'd be happy.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

I don't mind. Its going to be cheap, and fun
Cid Highwind
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Cid Highwind »

Hopefully it won't be smaller than the cube controller, that one fits my hands perfectly but shouldn't have been any smaller. I don't have big hands.
You feel at ease as you flock with the masses,
What do you see with your heads in their asses?
Keep on railing at what I believe,
Call me insane and I am proud to be.

--Edguy - King of Fools--

My blog
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Actually, that looks to be about the size I imagined it to be.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

creepy small.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Does it have built-in rumble? If so, reminds me of that PS2 dongle.

*shudders*
MulletMan13
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by MulletMan13 »

Cheap and fun,

just like a whore |/|
penor: hay gusy how do i make ubuntu look cool like vista
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Looks a comparable size to the Gamecube controllers. Obviously it's a lot smaller, but it's intended to be used one handed. The proportions seem to be about the same.

Bear in mind that you shouldn't have to stretch your fingers at all to hit the buttons, and there's generally one control to each digit (at most, four buttons and a stick), so it doesn't really matter how large or small your hands are. The only thing that really matters is the position of the fingers, or more specifically the ends of the fingers.

It's kinda hard to explain, but you you don't insist on gripping the controller tightly with your entire hand, it looks like you'd be able to hold this thing comfortably. Put it in your hand, with the index finger on the trigger (or index and middle fingers on the triggers on the analog controller). Rest the weight of the controller on your fingers only (all of them), but don't try to grip the thing firmly - just rest it there. Then, put your thumb on the top button / analog stick. Unless you have some kind of hand deformity, you should be able to reach it easily. Since the thumb and fingers have pretty much the same relative proportions on everybody, the hand should neatly loop around, putting the thumb in approximately the right position. If you adjust how far around the controller you wrap your fingers, you should be able to get the thumb in a comfortable position, and you won't have to move it much (one control per digit).

That is, of course, assuming that it's properly designed, and that I've not got entirely the wrong idea. From the photos, it looks like I'm about right, although I may have underestimated the size of the controller a bit. The triggers on the analog attachment seem to be in a different place, so it looks like you might have to stretch your fingers out slightly to be able to reach them. If they're Gamecube style analog triggers, that makes sense.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Sir Savant wrote:Does it have built-in rumble? If so, reminds me of that PS2 dongle.

*shudders*
Well, they did say they were trying to "expand their audience" :P

Just imagine the possibilities! A small, smooth, elongated controller with built-in rumble and realtime 3D position/direction/movement sensing. You know there's bound to be a GameGirlAdvance article sooner or later :twisted: