3,000 gallons of sewage forced into house

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

3,000 gallons of sewage forced into house

Post by Roofus »

Utility workers trying to blast out a grease clog from a sewer line forced 3,000 gallons of raw sewage into a couple's home, forcing them to abandon their house while hoping that the city makes good on a promise to clean up and repair the damage.

Mac and Meg McCormick say city leaders have also promised to pay for their stay in a hotel until the repairs are complete. The couple doesn't have any of the agreement in writing, and city officials have declined to discuss the case because it's ongoing.

"We feel we have no choice but to put our trust and faith in the hands of the city," Meg McCormick said this week as movers hauled damaged furniture from her house. "And I'll be honest, that's a little scary."

Scott Denham, the risk manager for Charlotte and Mecklenburg County, declined to discuss the details of the sewage backup, but did say, "There's no question of the severity of this event."

City officials don't even know how much the repairs and cleanup will cost, Denham said. Meg McCormick said she has received estimates of $75,000 to $150,000. The house has a tax value of $101,300.

Link
Nemesis
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Nemesis »

well that's shitty
Feel it, Don't think
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

That sucks, but it doesn't suck as much as having a lake of sewage and oil forced into half of your metro area.
It's thinking...
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

Darcus Magnus wrote:That sucks, but it doesn't suck as much as having a lake of sewage and oil forced into half of your metro area.
This is 3,000 gallons of raw, undeluted sewage into one enclosure. I'm not trying to make the severity of Katrina sound less than it was - it was of course a lot worse than one house getting damaged (and many of the homes were unreparable). But, 3000 gallons dumped into one house presumably without warning would suck. With Katrina, you'd at least know it was going to happen. Can you imagine if you were sitting at home, and all of a sudden an endless stream of sewage started entering your house? That would suck a lot. On the plus side though, they do get hotel stay and city cleanup for (unless the city goes back on their word) free. Something of which Katrina victims didn't get. But then again, this is a manmade disaster, not a natural disaster.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

MetaFox wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:That sucks, but it doesn't suck as much as having a lake of sewage and oil forced into half of your metro area.
This is 3,000 gallons of raw, undeluted sewage into one enclosure. I'm not trying to make the severity of Katrina sound less than it was - it was of course a lot worse than one house getting damaged (and many of the homes were unreparable). But, 3000 gallons dumped into one house presumably without warning would suck. With Katrina, you'd at least know it was going to happen. Can you imagine if you were sitting at home, and all of a sudden an endless stream of sewage started entering your house? That would suck a lot. On the plus side though, they do get hotel stay and city cleanup for (unless the city goes back on their word) free. Something of which Katrina victims didn't get. But then again, this is a manmade disaster, not a natural disaster.
We did get hotel stay from FEMA, and for those who were in the oil spill area, Murphy Oil cleaned their property as part of a settlement.

My next-door neighbor's house was party of the 'oil zone', but mine was not, so we're not entitled to anything. Bah.

Oh, and 3,000 gallons is barely a swimming pool. In some parts of my town the sewage system backed up and flooded the house with large amounts of sewage. That's what happened to my grandfather's house (where Jeeba lived).

Oh, and I'm not trying to say this situation was great. But when you have a Katrina happen to you, hearing others' typical problems makes you want to kill them. What may have been a problem that dominated someone's becomes completely dwarfed by Katrina and is completely insignificant. So excuse me for being grouchy sometimes.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

It's ok to one up other people's tragedies.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Darcus Magnus wrote:Oh, and 3,000 gallons is barely a swimming pool.
Because a swimming pool's worth of shite pouring through the house is not bad?
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Hawq wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:Oh, and 3,000 gallons is barely a swimming pool.
Because a swimming pool's worth of crape pouring through the house is not bad?
A lake is worse.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

I dont doubt it but a swimming pool still is nothing to be sniffed at dear god that sounded awfull
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Dreamcast4life
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Dreamcast4life »

Nemesis wrote:well that's crappy
Nice pun lol.
man, that would just be horrible to have that happen.
Have you played dreamcast today?
Tall Israeli
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Tall Israeli »

If the city didn't pay for it, I'd probably dump buckets of sewage into the big wigs' homes.
girls keep telling me they want 8".. so i tell'm ok.. i'll fold it in half
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Darcus Magnus wrote:Oh, and I'm not trying to say this situation was great. But when you have a Katrina happen to you, hearing others' typical problems makes you want to kill them. What may have been a problem that dominated someone's becomes completely dwarfed by Katrina and is completely insignificant. So excuse me for being grouchy sometimes.
But couldnt somebody just use the same logic on you? You're alive and well, thats more than can be said for some people. Its pathetic that you come in here, and start moaning on about how you've got more problems, and trying to trivialise somebody elses disaster. You've sat at a computer, with a roof over your head, family around you, food on the table etc. etc. If you want to play the "I deserve more sympathy than you" game, you're damn well off from being the winner.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

BoneyCork wrote:
Darcus Magnus wrote:Oh, and I'm not trying to say this situation was great. But when you have a Katrina happen to you, hearing others' typical problems makes you want to kill them. What may have been a problem that dominated someone's becomes completely dwarfed by Katrina and is completely insignificant. So excuse me for being grouchy sometimes.
But couldnt somebody just use the same logic on you? You're alive and well, thats more than can be said for some people. Its pathetic that you come in here, and start moaning on about how you've got more problems, and trying to trivialise somebody elses disaster. You've sat at a computer, with a roof over your head, family around you, food on the table etc. etc. If you want to play the "I deserve more sympathy than you" game, you're damn well off from being the winner.
Because I claimed to by the High King of Misfortune, right?
Lunchbox
1337 Food Container
1337 Food Container

Post by Lunchbox »

Darcus Magnus wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:
Because I claimed to by the High King of Misfortune, right?
No, but you were quick to claim what happened to you was worse
ghostparty
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by ghostparty »

Let's all act like gentleman and let go of a pointless internet arguement. :wink: