Windows XP SP3 hits Release to Manufacturing

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Windows XP SP3 hits Release to Manufacturing

Post by |darc| »

I know many Windows users here (including myself for my desktop PC) are still using XP because Vista is pretty shit. Well here's some good news:
Ars Technica wrote:Just over a month after the release of Windows Vista SP1, Windows XP Service Pack 3 has hit Release to Manufacturing (RTM) milestone. In other words, it is only available to OEMs. Customers with Microsoft Volume Licensing, Microsoft Connect beta testers, as well as MSDN and TechNet subscribers have not yet received the final build.

The service pack includes all security updates, out-of-band releases, and hotfixes released since Windows XP SP2 hit Microsoft's servers back in August 2004. At the same time though, every service pack Microsoft releases is cumulative; it is possible to install just SP3 on a clean install of XP. In addition, SP3 will bring some Vista features to XP users, including Network Access Protection, "Black Hole" Router Detection, the Microsoft Kernel Cryptographic Module, and the ability to install XP without entering a product key. Windows Internet Explorer 7 must still be downloaded and installed separately. There are also reported speed improvements for the six-year-old operating system.

Considering XP's current market share and SP3's release, XP will be found on consumers' PCs for years to come. On the other hand, with Windows 7 a couple of years out, and the broad release of Vista SP1, Windows XP's life as market leader is coming to an end. Microsoft plans to stop selling XP to most manufacturers and system builders on June 30, 2008, although the company has extended XP Home's availability until at least June 2010 for budget laptops.

The last build of XP SP3 released to the public was Release Candidate 2 Refresh. Microsoft was still saying "first half of 2008" for the final build then, and was firm with this timeframe until the actual release today. Microsoft has confirmed that the rest of us will be able to download XP SP3 from Microsoft Update, Windows Update, and the Microsoft Download Center next Tuesday.
I expect it to hit the general public very soon.
It's thinking...
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Windows XP SP3 hits Release to Manufacturing

Post by emptythought »

Whoo hoo. :D
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

eh ill download it to my windows partition next time i get on windows, since I log onto windows once every like 6 months.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Cool. I hope it causes a ton of trouble for people, that way they all buy Macs.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Say, I do hope someone chimes in with something about linux and how it's more stable than windows. It'll be a refreshing change.
FiendWithoutAface
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by FiendWithoutAface »

not just souLLy now wrote:Say, I do hope someone chimes in with something about linux and how it's more stable than windows. It'll be a refreshing change.

Windows...... LollOlOlOllloLL
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

not just souLLy now wrote:Say, I do hope someone chimes in with something about linux and how it's more stable than windows. It'll be a refreshing change.
Thats actually what my post was about, just didn't state it. I'm an Ubuntu user a 99.9% of the time. Never had ANY problems.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Nico0020 wrote:
Thats actually what my post was about, just didn't state it. I'm an Ubuntu user a 99.9% of the time. Never had ANY problems.
You completely missed the sarcasm.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

butters wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:
You completely missed the sarcasm.
:guffaw:
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

i don't think it will, but, i hope this doesn't mess up bootcamp in any way.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!